hey folks-im trying to figure out how chords technically are in any specific key. Is it just a case of using common progressions eg I IV V and amending it according to the key eg I IV bV?.

In a c major scale i understand that not only the chords C,D,E,F,G,A and B major fit obviously..but how does it all work!!!
I am wondering the same thing...
Ibanez SZ320MH
Jay Turser Strat
Vox 15R
Custom Built Fuzz Face
Line 6 Floor POD
NO!

the 1st chord, C, is major.
2nd chord, D, is minor.
3rd, E minor
4th, F major
5th, G major
6th, A minor
7th, B diminished.

The roman numerals for this progression for a major key is
Major
I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim) I
Minor, it starts on the vi chord, so
i ii(dim) III iv v VI VII i

Thats just how chords are naturally in a key.
Well they can't all be major because D major ( D, Fhsarp, A) has an F sharp in it. Which is not in C major. B major has a D sharp and F sharp which are not in C major. E major has a G sharp in it. Which is not in C major etc. So coffeeguy kind of answered your question. Some chords are turned into minor or diminished base on the key.
~Long live the 6-string~
Last edited by mesaandrew at Jul 9, 2006,
..so what about chords such as sustained and augumented..where do they come into the equation..??..
They are modifications to a chord. For example. normal C chord would be, C E G. C sus2 would be C D G. They are alternatives from just playing a plain major or minor chord.
~Long live the 6-string~
Yeah... it should answer your question.
If you use D major, E major, A major or B major in a C major scale then you are WAY off.

The order of any major scale will go:
1 Major (In this case it's C)
2 Minor (D)
3 Minor (E)
4 Major (F)
5 Major (G)
6 Minor (A)
7 Diminished (B)
8 Major (C again, as the octave)

Then, to find the relative minor of that scale (I.E. C major to A minor) you take the 6th of the major scale (in this case, A minor) and then you have a minor scale. The only differences are that the chords and ordered differently and that the fifth chord in the minor key is made major. Like so:

Key of A Minor
1 A minor
2 B dimished
3 C major
4 D Minor
5 E MAJOR (this chord is made major in a minor scale by raising the third a half step. in this case, your G to a G#)
6 F Major
7 G Major
8 A Minor (octave)

See the difference in the major and minor scales?
So you have to follow the order of major and minor chords within each scale to figure out which chords are acceptable to use.
You get it?
the chords in any given key of the major scale will be as follows (with I representing the 1st note (root) of the major scale, ii representing the second interval and so on):

I(root)- Major ii- Minor iii-Minor IV-Major V-Major vi- Minor vii- Diminished

coffeeguy essentially posted this already, just wanted to reiterate/hopefully clarify
Quote by MisinformingYou
Yeah... it should answer your question.
If you use D major, E major, A major or B major in a C major scale then you are WAY off.

The order of any major scale will go:
1 Major (In this case it's C)
2 Minor (D)
3 Minor (E)
4 Major (F)
5 Major (G)
6 Minor (A)
7 Diminished (B)
8 Major (C again, as the octave)

Then, to find the relative minor of that scale (I.E. C major to A minor) you take the 6th of the major scale (in this case, A minor) and then you have a minor scale. The only differences are that the chords and ordered differently and that the fifth chord in the minor key is made major. Like so:

Key of A Minor
1 A minor
2 B dimished
3 C major
4 D Minor
5 E MAJOR (this chord is made major in a minor scale by raising the third a half step. in this case, your G to a G#)
6 F Major
7 G Major
8 A Minor (octave)

See the difference in the major and minor scales?
So you have to follow the order of major and minor chords within each scale to figure out which chords are acceptable to use.
You get it?

But that is only in the case of harmonic minor when you change the V to major. The V in a minor key (natural) is always minor.
~Long live the 6-string~
yes, and the IV is major as well as the V in the melodic minor. but yeah, the natural minor has both of those chords as minor.
So...someone tell me outright...minors? You guys are confusing me with that whole harmonic vs whatever else you said. Also, how do you tell the difference?

I am getting very confused. I've never been very good on the theory stuff.
right theres basically three types of Minor scales (ignoring minor modes etc...)

Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
and the Melodic Minor

the formula for the Natural Minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
the formula for the Harmonic Minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
and the formula for the melodic minor is 1 2 b3 4 5 6 7

these scales in A are

Natural Minor A B C D E F G A
Harmonic Minor A B C D E F G# A
Melodic Minor A B C D E F# G# A

because of the different notes of each scale, different chords are formed..
for example, using the Natural Minor, the fifth chord is E minor, due to there being a E, G and B, being the 1 b3 and 5 of the E maj scale
but if we look at the harmonic minor, instead of the G, there is a G#. This means for the fifth chord we have E G# and B, being the 1 3 and 5 of the E maj scale, this indicates it is a major chord

hope you understood my brief explaination, you might need to look up how to form chords from scales though, if you search UG you should find a couple of good lessons
So, say the D major scale would be:
Dmaj
Emin
Fmin
Gmaj
Amaj
Bmin
Cdim
(Dmaj)

D Natural Minor would be
Dmaj
Emaj
Fmin
Gmaj
Amaj
Bmin
Cmaj
(Dmaj)

Is this right?

Also, where did you learn what all these scales are? Is there a list of all the types of scales somewhere? Or do you just have to memorize things like major is I ii iii V VI vii(dim) VIII?
Last edited by Metatron at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by Metatron
So, say the D major scale would be:
Dmaj
Emin
Fmin
Gmaj
Amaj
Bmin
Cdim
(Dmaj)

Not really no. You have the types of chords right, but just not the notes.
You need to learn how to construct the Major scale.
read my response in the thread you just made. It explains the major scale fully in there.
Been away, am back
Aah, thank you very much. I was getting totally frusterated and pissed off, becuase I couldn't find anything that made sence very well. Your two posts helped me very much.