this may kinda sound like n00bie but i play acoustic guitar so i dont know what speed does it sound like shred i can play like 7nps on acoustic.. and its action is like 6mm above the fretboard... so can anyone answer my question so that i could like practice more on speed so that when i get an electric guitar i would start shredding practice..
tilet lickin' gd
Didn't know there was a minimum requirement...

If you worry about what nps you're at, you're not gonna be a good musician. Please take note of this. It ain't about speed. GOOD shredders knew this right from the start of their guitar lives.
Looking for my India/Django.
oh did i made a doble thread.. ummm sorry hehe anywayz thx guys.. yea i know its about accuracy.. but the popping sound in my acoustic is just annoying me.. how to delete a thread anyway?
tilet lickin' gd
umm i tried delete message.. is it gone already? im not sure hehe.. anyway is 7 nps on an acoustic with 6mm action good already
tilet lickin' gd
Last edited by ToiletBowl at Jul 9, 2006,
Quote by ToiletBowl
umm i tried delete message.. is it gone already? im not sure hehe.. anyway is 7 nps on an acoustic with 6mm action good already

I'm not sure, but just remember, it's NOT about speed
Quote by ToiletBowl

OH... it's gone... dont you worry...

Great link btw.
Looking for my India/Django.
like totally you should like go to your FIRST message and like do it, and if you've like deleted it properly, the thread should be like...gone.

lol joking mate, i just felt like being a d*ckhead.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
It seems like the "slower" professional shredders hit between 15 and 16 nps
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Yeah what LUKE said .
Thats equal to 10-11 NPS , i think its the speed when it starts sounding like shred.
But still IMO 16th triplets at 140 BPM sounds even shreddier , 14 NPS.

But you know what , just go all the way and get to 20 NPS :P
BPM/60 = x
x*4 [if playing 16th notes]
x*6 [if playing 16th note triplets]
x*2 [if playing 8th notes]

Lets say that the BPM would be 160.
BPM=160

160/60=2,6
2,6*4=10,4

NPS= 10,4
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Mar 30, 2007,
Speed's not that important, it just gives you a few more options to play with. I can play 16-18 NPS, and I wouldn't say I'm any decent at shredding.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Hypnot1st
It seems like the "slower" professional shredders hit between 15 and 16 nps

aye, petrucci plays no faster then 16 EVER, yet is regarded as one of the better, i saw him on G3 a week ago, and he was up there with satch and gilbert, its not about how fast, its about how well

also, how old are you?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Last edited by EZLN libertad at Mar 30, 2007,
Quote by PuppetOfTallica
like totally you should like go to your FIRST message and like do it, and if you've like deleted it properly, the thread should be like...gone.

lol joking mate, i just felt like being a d*ckhead.
...like?? [/sarcasm]
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by Freepower
Less than 12, clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFRHN_O0hJE

Thats 12ish clean.

that you playing, FP? can you please tell me where to find the original solo?
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Shredding has nothing to do with speed! It is being able to play whatever you want, without physical limitations!

Ahh, these people have destroyed the true definition of shred! It's not tearing apart the fretboard! It's about being able to play anything you want without worrying about speed or technique limitations. That's it. It has nothing to do with NPS or tempo, only being able to play as quickly or as slowly as you want.
virtiousis speed would be playing sixteenth notes at 120 bpm, without a hitch, with a metronome
Quote by shades_of_truth
Shredding has nothing to do with speed! It is being able to play whatever you want, without physical limitations!

Ahh, these people have destroyed the true definition of shred! It's not tearing apart the fretboard! It's about being able to play anything you want without worrying about speed or technique limitations. That's it. It has nothing to do with NPS or tempo, only being able to play as quickly or as slowly as you want.

the whole point of shred is being able to play with speed and extreme accuracy and skills developed. lok at paul gilbert, there is no slow play in technical difficulties, its's 130 bpm with sixteenth notes, look at yjm, same story. shred is playing up and down the fret board at a a high tempo
Quote by jimmypage1904
the whole point of shred is being able to play with speed and extreme accuracy and skills developed. lok at paul gilbert, there is no slow play in technical difficulties, its's 130 bpm with sixteenth notes, look at yjm, same story. shred is playing up and down the fret board at a a high tempo

You don't have a damn clue what you're talking about.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Most shredders do around a million billion NPS, although 999,999 billion NPS will suffice.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by sirpsycho85
that you playing, FP? can you please tell me where to find the original solo?

lol, i wish that was me playing. The original solo is a piano recording of Oscar Peterson - if you watch the video and only listen to one stereo channel you should be able to hear the original solo.
Quote by whalepudding
Most shredders do around a million billion NPS, although 999,999 billion NPS will suffice.

unless you're petrucci, then you can get up around 5 billion
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by jimmypage1904

I didn't realize 16th notes at 130 bpm was considered fast..
Quote by Spamwise
I didn't realize 16th notes at 130 bpm was considered fast..

kinda is, kinda isnt, its in between, and as stated before, he doesnt know what hes talking about
Quote by beadhangingOne
IMO the braking point between slow playing and shredding is 16th notes at 140-150 BPM
Anything below 140BPM is definatly not shred.
come on now...i kind of have a bone to pick with both sides of this shred definition thing. while playing up and down the fretboard at a high tempo is sort of bad way to put it, i am a bit fed up with this definition of shred to being any sort of very competent playing.

most of the guitar community that i've come accross uses the word shred to mean very technical playing, and many specifically refer to only the batio-type stuff as shred, using it often in a negative sense. now, it is quite possible to take up issue when a word is being misused by the majority. for example, the majority may use the word "literally" when they don't mean "literally" at all, but doesn't mean it is propper english.

however, merriam webster, oxford dictionary, and for what it's worth dictionary.com do not have any definition of shred that has anything to do with music. it is SLANG. so if the majority of people use it as a slang term for boring and repetitive playing at high tempos, then you can continue to use it as whatever you want, but please don't come off like these people are idiots who need to be educated on this word.

the actual issue usually comes up when people dis technical playing by referring to it as all "mindless shred" or something along those lines. if this occurs, then take up issue with the insults at the musicians, not that the person doesn't know what shred means.

resi, i realize now looking at my posts that for several posts now i've been disagreeing with you...just telling you i'm not following you around

PS: Freepower, yeah i know it's oscar peterson, i just dodn't know what song and from what album. it's niiiice though.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me