I just got my first tube amp about a week ago (fender blues junior) and i was wondering if theres anything you need to do different to keep it in good shape.
let it warm up for a while before playing on it.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Don't shut off power right away after you're done playing - put it on standby to let the tubes cool down a bit first.
Quote by DeliriumTrigger
Don't shut off power right away after you're done playing - put it on standby to let the tubes cool down a bit first.

Blues Junior doesn't have a standby
When you switch it on, turn your guitar's volume right down, and leave the amp to warm up for a few minutes.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
You don't need to let it cool down through standby, turning it off will cool it down.
There are some neat mods you can do to a blues jr to help it sound more full. Changing the bass capacitor to a .1uf will smooth the bottom end, it sounds less "boxy".
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by DeliriumTrigger

why would putting it on standby, which is designed to warm up the tubes, cool them down?

you dont need to do this, in some cases its better to turn it straight off because it doesnt leave as high of voltages in the power capacitors if your planning on working on the amp.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by DeliriumTrigger

I've actually read that using standby when you're turning off makes no difference. I do it just so I know that I've reset it for when I power back up.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Mudder
There are some neat mods you can do to a blues jr to help it sound more full. Changing the bass capacitor to a .1uf will smooth the bottom end, it sounds less "boxy".

how much does that cost?
Quote by srv_king
how much does that cost?

AFAIK, capacitors are relatively cheap.
The mod would be free if you did it yourself but also relatively dangerous if you didn't know what you were doing
Sorry to go off topic but threadstarter, how do you like your amp? I'm on the verge of getting one myself.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Do a search for "BillM"+"blues jr" and find Bill M's site where he lists off all the cool chit you can do to the Jr. Caps are cheap, if you pay someone it may cost $50 but you certainly void your warranty.

Things to do to the Jr...

1. Bass capacitor
2. Adjust bias, either with different resistor or adding a couple trimmer pots for adj bias. The Jr, is biased hot from the factory.
3. Presence control

All pretty cheap, 3warranty voided, definitely make the Jr a helluva good amp.
It is the generally accepted truth that you should let a tube amp warm up and cool down (on standby, or not if you don't have it) don't not do it just because one guy on a guitar forum says so. Also, standby isn't designed to warm up the tubes, it just sends a lower power current through than "on" which sends through the full current (turning them off right away is supposedly bad because the change in temp is more abrupt) also, after it's done cooling, switch it from standby to on, then off. So. .

Before a jam:

warm up on standby: 1-5 min.

cool down on standby: 1-5 min

Before a show:

warm up on standby: 5-10 minutes

Cool down on standby 20-45 (don't go tossing it into a truck before then either!)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by SamDking
Sorry to go off topic but threadstarter, how do you like your amp? I'm on the verge of getting one myself.

I like it, its a good amp but i dont really like how theres not a gain knob on it but otherwise its good.
Gain is just another word for volume. On your new tube amp as you increase the volume you increase your gain, the tubes start to overdrive, and you get fuzz/distorsion. If you would like a gain knob get a pedal like a TS-9.