hey guys ive been playing guitar for about a year and a half, taking lessons for a year and a month now and i really want to start a band. im sick of just playing by myself. anyone have any ideas thats not just the standard "well go around and ask people in your grade" i mean i want people from my class to be in it but dont know how to go about starting one, getting everything together, finding a place to practice... thanks guys
Putting something on your school buliten board would be a good start, if you have any close friends that play instruments, invite them in.
i have several friends that also play guitar, but theyre into metal crap. i like more classic rock, rock, and alternative. i only know 1 drummer in my grade and he is in a band already and i dont know of anyboyd playing bass. even just getting a couple guys to play guitar with would be fine for a while but any ideas?
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
i have several friends that also play guitar, but theyre into metal crap. i like more classic rock, rock, and alternative. i only know 1 drummer in my grade and he is in a band already and i dont know of anyboyd playing bass. even just getting a couple guys to play guitar with would be fine for a while but any ideas?

As said in the other topic, dont be afraid to branch off into other genres, make some sort of happy medium between you and your friends, I love metal, but would happily be in a hard rock band.
Well you could start off by just finding some people to jam with, see if their is any chemistry. Maybe there is a kid who brings his acoustic around at lunch, ask him who he jams with or if he wants to do a band thing. Find people with compatible music tastes. As far as getting everything together... theres not much to do early on in a bands lifespan, just play songs. Talk to your guys about the band idea and let it float around, get to know new people and so on. I heard someone say use fliers but thats kinda lame. Finding a place to practice.. usually the drummers house (So he doesn't have to set em up over and over).. try a garage... my drummer's parents wern't home for hours after school ended, so we played in his living room after school.

Some huge pointers.
1) If your determined, try your ****ing hardest to find people dedicated and excited about the idea too. I always hated my "band" cause none of them were interested in it like I was, they never wanted to practice, band get togethers turned quickly into 10 minutes of music, 20 minutes of random riffs that the guitarist learnt yesterday and my drummer watching TV. If you find people who want to do this like you do, you feed off of each others energy and its amazingg

2) See eye to eye with your band mates, show a little dominance but dont undermind them. Do you/they want to write originals or get some fun cover songs down? Do you actually want to play real shows?

3) Have direction ready if no one else will. When I played with my "band", I wanted to learn cover songs, everyone else didn't care. The only way we got the songs down was when I burnt a CD with the song and printed tab for the guitarists ahead of time. It shouldn't be that bad normally, but make sure you guys are moving forward, always.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Just because the drummer is already in a band doesn't mean he can't be in yours. I know plenty of people that are in more than one band and everything works out fine for them.
can anyone please help me out? im not new to guitar, but i amp to starting a band, i would just appreciate some help
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
be out going and speak to every one and make more friends that are musicians. Before your first day of practice already bring song ideas to the table and ideas for covers and ideas about ur goals. Understand its hard to find good drummers and singgers so dont be picky.
meow :3
^ i want to add a little more

Visit shows that your school has or your town maybe, and when you find a band with a style you like, talk to maybe one of the members and ask them if they are interested. If you do that tho, dont steal the whole friggen band, just ask nicely and be like yo man that was so great dude man dude i wanted to ask dude if you wanted to jam becuase i like ur style man... something like that lol
meow :3