So yeah, as you could have probably guessed by the name of the tread.... we're having a lot of problems with our drummer. He's 14, and a very, very good drummer (grade 8), but that really gets to his head. Myself (the guitarist and vocalist) and the bassist are both huge punk rock fans... however, Kieran is hellbent on playing heavy metal ALL the time. Me and the bassist would write an awesome song that we love, then he'd try and turn it into Iron Maiden's next single. It's getting beyond the point of compromising with him, it's just stupid. What's worse is that our drummer and bassist live together (their parents are getting married)... so this is really causing problems. Of course, because I'm the 'one from the outside', I'm worried that I'm going to be the one who'll take the blame fopr any family problems this will cause.

I'm just sick of it. He wants us to be Iron Maiden, but he knows that me and our bassist basically live and breathe punk. We've tried pplaying what he wants, but we're just not getting a kick out of it. I mean, he's even slowing songs down so he can do blastbeats all the way through, and he's insisted on dropping a song from the set so he can have a sodding drum solo. It's just stupid.

We're tired of everything always having to be his way all the time. I'm so close to leaving it's unbelievable. Should I, or should I not?
Bow to your drummer, Iron Maiden > Punk rock.

Lol but obviously that's my opinion, to be actually helpful, my drummer is a stubborn s.o.b sometimes as well, but I compromise with him, i make sure my opinion gets heard but at the same time incorporate the stuff he wants into the music. Try out his ideas, the metal drumming/punk guitar might lead to some interesting sounds at the end. But if you simply cannot tolerate the way he drums, and he won't listen to your ideas AT ALL, then you really aren't functioning as a band and you should consider leaving. Bandmembers have differences. Live with it, or you'll never have fun playing.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
That's what you get for playing punk!

Just kidding! Not really.

You can either a) reach a compromise b) kick him out c) leave
Option b might honestly do him so good, give his giant ego a hit. It sounds like he deserves to be kicked out honestly.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
It sounds to me like he feels that he doesn't get enough say in the creative process of songwriting. You said that you and the bassist write a song and bring it to the table; do you ever work on songs together as a band? And take a listen to Iron Maiden's first album. Very punk-rock influenced. Maybe you can compromise musically?
We've tried wtriting with him. He keeps asking why don't we scream, why DON'T we want blast beats... so we shut him out of the writing process. But that's not worked. We can;t kick him out 'cos he's the bassist's stepbrother... so looks like I'm just going to have to leave. He's just not hearing us out.
If he can't compromise, and is being an asshole. Go here, http://beaterator.rockstargames.com/beaterator.html, Record some drumbeats, and burn them onto a CD. At the next practice tell the drummer to be quiet for a second, and pop the CD in and start jamming to Drum Machine Beats. If he doesn't decide to compromise after that, then fire him and stick to drum machines till you find another drummer.
We played a gig last night, and ****ing hell... I've changed my mind about him. He took it easy on the double bass, and played every song flawlessly and with attitude... hence my ****-eating grin by the end of the set.

Started work on new material while we were sitting backstage before the set too, and it seems we've reached a compromise for everyone just to be themselves, and it's sounding absolutely awesome (with names like '(Alice's Adevntures) Through the Windshield Glass' and 'Princess Anasthesia', you can just tell they're gonna rule, right? )

So ****ing proud of him- when we told him what was on our minds, he didn't throw a tantrum, and he made things right- and even told us a thing or two. We've agreed on a sound that's a bit like Billy Talent, which is something that we're all happy about.

So now everything's happier than ever, and we were asked by the venue if we'd play there again in August! ****ing A!
Quote by Aidy Damage
We played a gig last night, and ****ing hell... I've changed my mind about him. He took it easy on the double bass, and played every song flawlessly and with attitude... hence my ****-eating grin by the end of the set.

Started work on new material while we were sitting backstage before the set too, and it seems we've reached a compromise for everyone just to be themselves, and it's sounding absolutely awesome (with names like '(Alice's Adevntures) Through the Windshield Glass' and 'Princess Anasthesia', you can just tell they're gonna rule, right? )

So ****ing proud of him- when we told him what was on our minds, he didn't throw a tantrum, and he made things right- and even told us a thing or two. We've agreed on a sound that's a bit like Billy Talent, which is something that we're all happy about.

So now everything's happier than ever, and we were asked by the venue if we'd play there again in August! ****ing A!
Great to see a band get it together Good Luck!
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
exactly, great news, i was going to suggest writing a song with him in that
1) have him play a drum beat he really likes
2) throw a guitar piece over it that you really like

the end result could be really interesting
Quote by Aidy Damage
So yeah, as you could have probably guessed by the name of the tread.... we're having a lot of problems with our drummer. He's 14, and a very, very good drummer (grade 8), but that really gets to his head. Myself (the guitarist and vocalist) and the bassist are both huge punk rock fans... however, Kieran is hellbent on playing heavy metal ALL the time. Me and the bassist would write an awesome song that we love, then he'd try and turn it into Iron Maiden's next single. It's getting beyond the point of compromising with him, it's just stupid. What's worse is that our drummer and bassist live together (their parents are getting married)... so this is really causing problems. Of course, because I'm the 'one from the outside', I'm worried that I'm going to be the one who'll take the blame fopr any family problems this will cause.

I'm just sick of it. He wants us to be Iron Maiden, but he knows that me and our bassist basically live and breathe punk. We've tried pplaying what he wants, but we're just not getting a kick out of it. I mean, he's even slowing songs down so he can do blastbeats all the way through, and he's insisted on dropping a song from the set so he can have a sodding drum solo. It's just stupid.

We're tired of everything always having to be his way all the time. I'm so close to leaving it's unbelievable. Should I, or should I not?
Life is far too short for this type of stress. Go find or start another band.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by Aidy Damage

You did good.
take away all but one cymbal. only let him have a snare, bass drum, and hihat, and a crash. See what smart ass has to say. Just tell you guys can't go on like this, try and help him find a new band. Or tell to go eat ****.
We played ANOTHER gig today and it went even better than Thursday. Things are officially going VERY, VERY well now.
have him play metal drums behind ur punk bass and guitar, that'd be awesome, just realx and open ur mind. (but tell him he can have a short solo at the end of the set) if the solos get too long and he starts screwin up, kick him out, the bassist will understand
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot
His drum solos have actually gotten less self-indulgent and more groovy lately... after these last few gigs he's definately seen the light... and we've decided that the compromise to make is hard rock... not punk or metal. We all enjoy playing it and it's the best medium. Our long-time fans love it too, so it's all good
The problems have started up all over again.

When I went to his yesterday for our pre-gig rehearsal, our bassist went up to me and said 'I think we have a situation.' Our drummer had originally planned the practice to be at his mum's, but we couldn't 'cos his sister's ill. Instead, we were going to have it at his dad's and take his drum kit over. At being told this, he threw the most MASSIVE tantrum EVER and lashed out at me and the bassist when we tried to reason with him. He gave in eventually, though.

At the gig itself, though, halfway through one of our songs he just stopped and said 'I'm bored, let's play the next song', and I just said 'sorry Cambridge, I'll be back in a sec', and I went onto the drum riser, went behind the kit (holding my mic), punched him in the face and said 'what the **** do you think you're doing? Is it any ****ing wonder your parents are sending you to brat camp?!?!? Play the ****ing song or you're OUT.'

So we continued... they thought it was part of the show, even though me and the bassist made it obvious we were angry at our drummer (holding our guitars to the PA speakers during his drum solo so we'd feed back louder than his drums, looking at him angrily, and just playing more agressively than normally.)

Thing is, we can't sack him or leave. Since our drummer and bassist live together (Our drummer's dad and Bassist's mum are engaged), it would make things worse in the home with our drummer's anger management problems and just being a brat in general. I can't leave because my mum is best friends with our drummer's parents, so I have to see our drummer a lot whether I like it or not.

Even WORSE is that we might have to pull out of the Haddenham Fetsival AND the Pink Festival because he's being sent to brat camp!

We're both tired of him, but we can't see a way out... I've even started smoking again to try and calm me down... geez.
Last edited by Aidy Damage at Aug 6, 2006,
replace his ass, especially if hes getting shipped off somewhere, there you have the perfect excuse to do it that he cant possibly refute.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
replace his ass, especially if hes getting shipped off somewhere, there you have the perfect excuse to do it that he cant possibly refute.

We can't... it would cause too much tension in the drummer's and bassist's house. I can't put our bassist through it, she'll just get the brunt of our drummer's anger
i think, that if the drummer and bassist are going to be relatives, there would and will be problems anyways. besides, not being in the band together doesnt mean they have to hate each other.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
I dunno, maybe starting a new band would be good, or maybe you should do what people said before. Explain to the drummer what's going on and try to make him change. If he doesn't, kick him out. If he vents on the bassist or whatever, get a new band.

The most important thing: DON'T HIRE RELATIVES IF THEY'RE ASSES!
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Quote by Aidy Damage
We can't... it would cause too much tension in the drummer's and bassist's house. I can't put our bassist through it, she'll just get the brunt of our drummer's anger

YOU punched him in the ****ing face?! And you think that ending this band is going to cause stress? Wow... Seriously... I'm sorry but if he's going to that immature about it then just end the band. Then you and the bassist can start setting up a new band slowly, I mean dont' just kick him out just disband the band and start looking for something new slowly, that way it's more two steps than just one.

I mean seriously, you and the bassist are really helping things with doing stupid stuff like feed backing over his drum solo.. HOw old are you guys? I mean sure it's probably a funny thing to watch, but If I was at a show and I was listening to a guitarist and bassist just cause massive feedback over a solo, I'd probably leave.
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Ever notice that many people consider heavy metal drummers "very very good" but they always seem to be 13-17, have big egos, and can't play any other style?
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
get a new drummer(he has to love punk as much as you do)
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
Perhaps a way to drop this jerk and still retain a civil relationship between him and the bassist would be to dissolve the band, wait a while, and then after a while you and the bassist join a band that already has a drummer.

Obviously, a lot of moving pieces would have to fall into place for this to happen, but it might work. You never know.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
Lookl metal drummers have the worst egos, and they may be good at percussion but elsewhere they are lacking hence heroine addicts and **** . . .. good friends but they shoot up usually. . . .hence my love of the few metal drummers who may not be great but they are personally greats.. .. .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
hence my love of the few metal drummers who may not be great but they are personally greats.. .. .

Right
That's a 14-year-old for you. The drummer in my band was in a Metallica cover band for several years before he grew up. Not to say that metal is music for young kids, but they think that they have to prove that they are good enough to play it. He'll soon be put in his place.