whats the best thing to use to clean a fretboard. don't give me like product names, just household stuff. i heard that lemon and water or something like that works, but i'm not sure. anyways... any help would be appreciated.
Quote by Refixer
Lemon Oil, for rosewood.

After you've cleaned it.

Take a soft, dry cloth, and literally clean off any grime that may be there. Anything that may have "stuck" there, cause we're all a little bit messy, simply repeat yet lightly dampen the cloth don't soak it.

If its rosewood, finish it off by applying some lemon oil. Most music shops will sell this, multiple brands.
yep lemon oil on unprotected maple fretboard will stain it. so you just use regular guitar polish for it
most houshold products contain water. not a good idea to use water on a guitar neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I've got grime on my (rosewood) 'board, but it won't come off if you rub it "with a soft, dry cloth" as you said. I can get it off by scratching with my nail, but I'm not prepared to scratch the whole fretboard.

I've heard someone used steel wool? Would this damage the board?
yeah they are talking about 0000 steel wool, its pretty soft. but less messy is a soft tooth brush.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by sashki
I've got grime on my (rosewood) 'board, but it won't come off if you rub it "with a soft, dry cloth" as you said. I can get it off by scratching with my nail, but I'm not prepared to scratch the whole fretboard.

actually use lemon oil and let it sit there for 20 minutes or so then clean it off repeat if necessary of course you could always use a toothbrush and brush aswell to help loosen the grime. and steel wool is used better to clean your frets if they are dirty.
I've been using orange cleaner on a rag to get grime off my ebony fretboard.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
does the lemon make the fretboard smell?

yes it made mine smell like lemon well then again thats because i went over the fretboard about 10 times. also its a good idea to do it in a well ventilated area. it also made mine feel smooth and wet
mine has after about 1 week. but it still looks pretty black like jet black hair so yeh. probably should do it once every 6 months or so
It does smell orangey. It's too slick after I do it, the residue evaporates off pretty quickly though. Cleans like a mutha.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I bet that setting it on fire would do the trick. It worked for Jimi Hendrix.
You can also use a pick on your fretboard along with steel wool to get the really nasty stuff off.

When my fingerboard had a ton of **** on it i used a razor blade, but i have really steady hands
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
when you guys say lemon oil, you dont mean that lemon juice that comes in little plastic yellow lemon shaped containers do you
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

nope.

its not going to be anything laying around ur house. a dunlop bottle of cleaner conditioner costs a few bucks.

some guys use furniture polish, thats what they were talking about.
its just that, furniture polish often has water and other additives.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by sashki

use a toothbrush with lemon oil give it a few good scrubs. i spent nearly a whole half an hour just cleaning my SX man was it cleaner than before
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
when you guys say lemon oil, you dont mean that lemon juice that comes in little plastic yellow lemon shaped containers do you

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_dandrea_lemon_oil_prodinfo.html

The point being that it can't have any biting materials in it, such as alcohol.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
For years I used to just squirt windex on the rosewood fingerboard on my strat, then wipe off immediately with paper towel. I did this on every string change, which was about once a week. No harm done. It Ok to get wet, you are taking it off right away. It doesn't get chance to soak in.
^if i had i wood table the last thing i would use on it is a harsh window cleaner.
guitars are usually hearty. but if they make a cheap product especially for the care and cleaning of it, why wouldnt u use it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62