Page 1 of 2
Right, I've been thinking today about why if somebody is realy, REALY good on piano and can play realy fast they are seen as very talented musicians and so on and so forth. But take Yngwie Malmsteen for example. He plays extreme fluent neo-classical guitar at blistering speed and he gets flamed for it.

I realy don't understand what the difference between a pianist playing a very fast classical peice and a guitarist playing a very fast classical peice is. Why are they treated so differently???
Dave Tither
Because guitarists are all wankers

and pianists are usually playing other people's music, while Yngwie writes his own stuff and phrases it so it sounds classical but its actually not (hence neoclassical....not the be messed up with neoclassicism which was a movement in music between the 2 world wars where they drew influnce back fromt he composers of the 18th century)
Last edited by seljer at Jul 10, 2006,
because piano sounds good really fast, guitar not so much
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Because people are stupid. Or are just really jealous and think "OMg HE PWnZ teh GUITAR! AnD I CaNT! zOMG iHat3 J00!"
To answer your question. Guitar players play guitars and Pianists play pianos.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Well the major difference is that guitarists are usually egotistic w-nkers.

Jools Holland - great pianist, great bloke and usually lets his band do the main work or just does duets.

Eddie Van Halen - great guitarist, complete tosser of a person and takes centre stage without a care for anyone else.
Because classical stuff was originally written for piano and/or orchestra, never for guitar.

Btw, for everyone who doesn't like classical music, just know it's the base for a lot of other styles. I sometimes like classical pieces on a piano and I'm not ashamed for it!
because playing rock guitar meens u wana get reconised as the best and be an aragonat wanker. Look at any rock god!
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Heres the difference

Piano-Easiest instrument next to the Recorder

Guitar-Hardest Instrument period

are you on some kind of drugs Piano is way harder than guitar. and piano is so much better of an instrument than guitar is there is so much on piano you could never do on guitar. some time in the near future im gonna learn to play. piano is so beautiful and amazing while guitar is awesome to it doesnt have that class and beauty like a piano has
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
are you on some kind of drugs Piano is way harder than guitar. and piano is so much better of an instrument than guitar is there is so much on piano you could never do on guitar. some time in the near future im gonna learn to play. piano is so beautiful and amazing while guitar is awesome to it doesnt have that class and beauty like a piano has

I do not feel that at all . . . Maybe I learnt piano since young before i took up guitars .. .
Quote by Syn Harvest

pshhh even a def person could play the piano.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Because pianists play actual classical, while Yngwie Malmsteen steals classical licks, adds leather pants and ninja kicks, and calls it a new genre. Classical guitarists have as much respect as classical pianists, but shredders don't play classical guitar.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Heres the difference

Um... You're a tool.
^no he's just retarded

where's that award for worst UG-member?

and if you think the guitar is the most difficult instrument, try playing a trumpet. Now THAT's hard.
ok the piano is far easier then the guitar, i play both, much prefer the guitar but thats irrelevent, guitar is unquestionably harder
[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/Danrk/guitarsig1.jpg[/IMG]
There is no hardest instrument. Piano is not harder than guitar and guitar is not harder than piano. They are two different instruments for different things. You can do things on a piano impossible to do with a guitar and vice versa.
HAHAHHA at anyone who thinks piano is harder to play than guitar

then again I'm not surprised at those who would think that they probably think playing guitar is playing fallout boy power chords on their 199$ washburn

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Quote by Ihearthetfield
HAHAHHA at anyone who thinks piano is harder to play than guitar

then again I'm not surprised at those who would think that they probably think playing guitar is playing fallout boy power chords on their 199$ washburn

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you're an absolute moron.
Quote by Syn Harvest

you know... the keyboardist club welcomes pianists, too.

Quote by Funky P
pshhh even a def person could play the piano.

deaf, dipshit. and I guess any idiot can play a guitar.
Last edited by 4string-tsurigi at Jul 10, 2006,
^he's just making a little inside joke about Beethoven

piano and guitar are just different instruments, both can sound nice or really bad, both have their advantages ad disadvantages, both are needed in the wonderful world of music
Quote by Dave2210
Right, I've been thinking today about why if somebody is realy, REALY good on piano and can play realy fast they are seen as very talented musicians and so on and so forth. But take Yngwie Malmsteen for example. He plays extreme fluent neo-classical guitar at blistering speed and he gets flamed for it.

I realy don't understand what the difference between a pianist playing a very fast classical peice and a guitarist playing a very fast classical peice is. Why are they treated so differently???

Here's something worth thinking about... Think how many good things you've heard people say about Yngwie and how many bad things, then think of a classical pianist and how many good / bad things you've read people saying about him/her.

It could well be that you've just heard a lot more things altogether about Yngwie so it goes that you've heard a lot more bad things in there

Also, most of you are in the wrong forum.
Quote by JorisBlack
^no he's just retarded

where's that award for worst UG-member?

and if you think the guitar is the most difficult instrument, try playing a trumpet. Now THAT's hard.

i disagree i picked up trumpet faster than guitar but i dont play trumpet any more thanks to a crappy band director and no where else to play
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
No instrument is harder than any other, it depends entirely on what level you play at.

However sometimes electric guitar is seen as 'easy', because you can play some listenable music within a few hours of picking up a guitar. Many other instruments (including classical guitar) require a longer time learning technique before you can play anything worth listening to.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by Ihearthetfield

Hardly. Guitar is one of the easier instruments to play IMO.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Guitar its one of the easiest instruments to pick up, as you can learn to play 3 chords in less than an hour and then you have to ability to play hundreds and hundreds of songs.

After that its about hard as you make it, just like any instrument is. Piano has a few larger hurdles though (mainly when you get up to the point when you want to play different things with each hand)
An instrument is what you make of it. Some guitar pieces are incredibly easy, some piano pieces are incredibly easy. You can play Mary Had a Little Lamb on both instruments, still an easy song. You could also play an epic, hour long, heavily orchestrated and well thought out piece on either instrument and it would be equally difficult. So it's not really the instruments that are more or less difficult, it's the music that is generally played that guides what people think of each musical tool.

The only reason lots of people think piano is so much harder is because they hear bands like Fallout Boy playing three power chords and a legion of poser kids doing the same thing. Then they hear a classical pianist playing an amazing piece of music and hear a few more doing the same. So, anyone who can say any instrument is genuinely more difficult than another is an idiot with an extremely limited outlook on music; what really affects the difficulty of the instrument is the music that one decides to play.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
okay both instruments are hard

and to the threadstarter, the reason that ppl applaud pianists i believe is that

piano is a well respected instrument

simple as that

when guitar came out, it was respected, in jazz and classical applications

now its main use is in rock n roll type music, which is taken as offensive

where as piano is still regarded highly

also pianists can all read, whereas many guitarists cant
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by thetearsibleed

when guitar came out, it was respected, in jazz and classical applications

Andrés Segovia barely managed to make classical guitar an accetped accepted by the rest of the classical musicians by working on many many transcriptions and being a virtuoso at playing it himself. Before that it was more of a folk instrument (and it still is in general if you look at it).
He is the reason classical guitar even exists.

Jazz itself at the time in its early development was also looked down upon (black music and so on)
its harder to get faster at guitar because you have to do to things to make a sound on guitar (not including hammer-ons or pull offs) put your finger in place and pic that string. pianist just gotta hit a key and can to 10 at a time, guitarists can only so a maximum of 6 or 7 with a 7 string guitar.
Quote by sandman321
its harder to get faster at guitar because you have to do to things to make a sound on guitar (not including hammer-ons or pull offs) put your finger in place and pic that string. pianist just gotta hit a key and can to 10 at a time, guitarists can only so a maximum of 6 or 7 with a 7 string guitar.

10 at a time? I just mash my arms on the damned thing.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Heres the difference

you, sir, are a retard.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A pianist plays the piano, a guitarist plays the guitar.

Both the intruments are extremely hard to master and take years of practice.

I seriously doubt a pianist can pick up a guitar and start shredding, vice versa.
Quote by CustomCustom
I got an Andres Segovia box set one xmas and expected to hear someth

Occasionaly I have to listen to the classical guitarists at school (we have an art/music program), I end up almost falling asleep half of the time unless they're REALLY good (or playing something interesting). Its mainly that the music is just very boring :/

They can play though
Page 1 of 2