OK after hearing BKs pushed on this site like their crack i have decided to finally look into them. I have been reading about them on this site and on the BK page about the pick ups and i think i have found the one for me. The Miracle Man Set i currently use EMGs and i hear they are voiced like them. im just looking for the same tone and output in passive pickups. and i like the way some of the covers look too, but unfortunatly my Real Player wont play the clips from the site for some reason so i was wondering if anyone knew where else i could find clips. And a distributor in america, online distributor works fine if they are good i got no problem getting them shipped.

THX
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
um, if you like the sound of your EMG's why chane? if you only want them to sound the same, it seems like you're spending money just to spend it?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I've looked into BK pickups. A pair of BK humbuckers shipped to Canada will cost about $500. I don't care how good they sounds. Unless you're rich and have money to burn (in that case, I have a PayPal account that needs replenishing - send me money lol ), there's no way in Hell that ANY pickup is worth that much IMO. If I can get top-of-the-line Duncans, Dimarzios, or EMGs at less than $150 Cdn each, there's no sane reason anyone can give me that will convince me that BK pickus are worth 2.5 times that much.

And don't be too taken by the sound clips you hear. They do sound great, but just like pickup sound clips on ANY pickup manufacturer site, what you hear is dependent on MANY other factors other than the pickups - the guitar used, amp & settings, mic used to record, post-production processing, and MOST IMPORTANT, the skill of the person playing. Face it, in the hands of a skilled guitarist, a Squier thru an MG-15 can be made to sound awesome when recorded and processed properly.

So the clips can give you a representation of what the pickups will sound like, but chances are, even if you have the exact same gear that was used to record the clips, you wouldn't be able to get that tone anyway.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
You can get an EMG set for about $150-$175 US. A set of BKs will start at about $300 in the US.

I know for a fact EMGs sound excellent with a Mesa Mk III (used to own one). Don't know about BKs, but I'd be surprised if they sounded bad.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

"Just as good" is pretty relative. Depends on whether or not you like the sound of EMGs, because they do sound difference from passive pickups. Personally, I've been an EMG ***** for the past 18 years or so, and I've had them in most of the 50 or so guitars I've owned since.

as derek says, if you like the tone of the emg's, why change?

also, from what i hear, the stock MM isn't just as hot as an 81, you need to get a custom wound hotter MM to get to the 81's gain level.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by pierce34celtic
Well, I'm looking for the heavy metal, thrash Metallica, slayer type tone, but also wanted the 60 for it's cleans and rhythm distortion and I've heard the 81 is great for lead work and soloing and that's what I'm looking for so it seems they'd be perfect. What do you think?

81/60 is my preferred combination, and I play mostly Metallica and Slayer ****. Here's a couple of samples of the EMG 81.

Slayer - South of Heaven (thru Genz Benz El Diablo) :

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=830460&t=1879

Slayer - War Ensemble (thru Peavey 5150 combo):

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=421522&t=1879

Don't have any 60 clips, unfortunately. Haven't recorded anything recently that required cleans. lol The 60 is a very smooth pickup with lower gain. It's got a very clear, sparkly quality. I love it for cleans. And it's actually pretty decent to get a nice creamy lead sound when soloing on the neck pickup with full distortion. Wouldn't use it for distorted rhtym other than for blues ****, but great otherwise.

And yes, the 81 is great for lead.

Ook, btw those clips sounded great, I think the 81/60 combo would be best over 81/85 especially since the Mesa Mark IV's cleans are supposed to be great and the 60 is the best EMG for cleans. And of course the 81 is great for all the lead work, just wondering does hetfield use the 81 or 60 for most of his rhythm distortion work? THanks
Hetfield uses the 81 for distorted tones, 60 for cleans.

I used to have 85s until I tried the 60. Now it's 60s all the way. 85 is too hot and too bassy for pristine cleans.

i'd get the 60.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile