Here's the deal:

I'm looking to update my amplification (I've spent most of my gigs playing through an ancient 50W Hohner Marlin that used to belong to my uncle) and I'm hoping you knowledgable lot on here can give me a few pointers, and stop me making any stupid mistakes.

I'm looking for a cheap 100w+ guitar amp - and when I say cheap I mean i'm looking for the best possible price/quality ratio, with greater weight on the cheap if nesassary.

So, sugest, and please point me towards some place where I can purchase such an amp (that's in the UK please) and remember that I will be taking P+P into consideration when I'm buying the equipment.

Thanks very much.
Jakkle.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
Last edited by Jakkle at Jul 10, 2006,
Mostly Classic rock and early Punk.
Some Pink Floyd style stuff aswell.

"I had a hat once.
i have a 50 watt Marshall MG DFX, they make 100 watt combos of em, try it out and it might be the sound ur looking for and its not a bad price, theres much better out there but this might be good enough for its price range
even tho theyre mainly used for metal spider 2s can be used fo a wide varity of music get one of them an try using the crunch, clean ect amp modes

though they are sorta expensive if ure lookin 4 summit above 100W

http://www.line6.com/spiderii/sounds01.html

listen to some of they sounds they can produce from their site dude
Last edited by axe_thrasher at Jul 10, 2006,
mgs?spyders? my lord

get an all tube combo

traynor YCV50 blue, though i dunno how those are pricewise in the uk
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

^ Overly expensive in the UK and pretty hard to find really. A Laney VC30 maybe? There's an offer on on GAK at the moment so you might wanna check that out. They're good value and good quality from what I've heard (altho I haven't tried a VC so don't take my word for it).

EDIT - how cheap is cheap?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Last edited by SamDking at Jul 10, 2006,
^

Below £300, and under £250 would be great.

"I had a hat once.
Try it out first, but i'd say definitely not.

I'd try to look for a used tube/valve amp or a fairly high end solid state/hybrid amp.

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT - £200
Fender Blues Junior - £330
Laney VC30 - £300 (I think)

They're new prices of 3 decent amps. The latter 2 are valve amps and will suit you better for gigging. The Vox is better for a practise/jamming amp but will tide you over for gigging, but won't do it as well as the Fender and the Laney.

Definitely try out some amps before you make a desision though.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Don't even go near MG's or Spyders. Simply search MG or Spyder and you will get many threads that give reasons why. Check out the Vox Valvetronix series for your style of music. It isn't all tube but it is a great value for the money.
What's the rough conversion of pounds > USD?

Erm... I got confused there for a sec.

Try shooting for a Vox AD50VT. It'll be less than 250 if I converted right.. Not sure if they make them over there.

How about a used vintage JCM800? Find one on ebay.

Or possibly a Traynor YCV50 on Ebay, someone might ship to the UK, or have one in the UK.
Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Jul 10, 2006,