Can anyone give me some examples cause ive been trying to learn augmented lick since i can does diminished really easy. I do diminished things like this.

1|---------------------------------------------------------------------9-12-9-12-9-12-9-12-9-7---
2|------------------------------------------------------------8-11-8-------------------------------10-
3|-----------------------------------------------------6-9-6--------------------------------------------
4|-5-2-2--------------------------------------5-8-5---------------------------------------------------
5|--------4-1-4-1-4--1----------------4-7-4---------------------------------------------------------
6|------------------------3--3-0-3-6-3----------------------------------------------------------------

I can go up and down diminished scales fast and easily now im tryign to explore augmented scales for a different sound since it doesnt seem like hardly any guitar players use augented scales and i want my own style ex: Zakk wylde = pentatonic Yngwie malmsteen = harmonic minor. I know the specific sound of a diminished scale and i want to know the sound of a augmented scale and ive been having a hard time finding any licks that are augmented so i could learn the sound of those. any help woulod be appreciated.
Try the Lydian Augmented mode: 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7 - it's effectively the lydian mode with a raised 5th, and is also the third mode of the melodic minor scale.

Use it over maj7th chords, or even more specifically maj7#5 chords.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Try the Lydian Augmented mode: 1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7 - it's effectively the lydian mode with a raised 5th, and is also the third mode of the melodic minor scale.

can you give me licks that use that please?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Jesus chrysler wtf is all that!?!? I have no clue wat those numbers and letters are!!!!
uhhhh if i'm not mistaken he means

the root, major 2nd,major 3rd, sharpened major fourth, sharpened major 5, major 6th and 7th.... in other words in the key of E it would be

E,F#,G#,A#,B#(C),C#,D# which would sound a little funky by itself but over the Maj7 and maj7#5 would make a little more sense to all the full step movements.
Quote by 6touch6of.evil6
Jesus chrysler wtf is all that!?!? I have no clue wat those numbers and letters are!!!!

so why post? but to help teach another UGer ill explain.

1 2 3 #4 #5 6 7 are the notes. lets say we were playing in C, the number 1 representing C. If we played accordign to the formula the notes would be CDEF#G#AB.

EDIT: can anyone help me by giving me the tab to some augmented licks.
Quote by danilo19
can you give me licks that use that please?

No, tell you what though - I'll give you a chord progression and some common modes to play over them, and you can work from there, I'll stick the lydian augmented mode in for you, so you can hear it in context - which will lend itself to you opening up your phrasing book and really exposing the scale.

Emin9 - E dorian.
Amaj7#5 - A Lydian Augmented.
Bbmaj13 - Bb Lydian.
B7#9#5 - B Super Locrian.

If you're having trouble finding the chord shapes and mode degrees, I'll be happy to send you a Guitar Pro file containing all the chords which you can then experiment over yourself, but you shouldn't have much trouble finding them on the old 'net. If that chord progression is over your head, I can supply a simpler one.

I really urge you to use modes and scales in context as opposed to just playing licks derived from them - it opens up a whole new world if you can hear them, as opposed to just playing them.

Edit: Here is a website containing that exact chord progression, though they've named the Super Locrian mode as Altered, same thing, though. All with chord diagrams and scale positions for you

http://chrisjuergensen.com.hosting.domaindirect.com/lydian_augmented_scale.htm

Quote by 6touch6of.evil6

That is music theory - if you stick around the MT forum, you'll get the hang of it.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443

I really urge you to use modes and scales in context as opposed to just playing licks derived from them - it opens up a whole new world if you can hear them, as opposed to just playing them.

thats what im trying to do is be able to hear them, i can hear the diminished scale easily. I want the same for augmented.