I've had only one decent guitar for a while now, and I've decided to buy a new guitar. But I'm stuck between two. Yep, you geussed it, a Gibson LP, and a Fender Strat. They both play the music I like to play. What are your guys' opinions? Which would you recomend? Thanks for your help.
Founder of...oh... nothing.
Member of...crap...nothing.
#1 member of...omg...nothing!?

Makin' Mama Proud
Strat, I prefer the sound, you can mod the sound better, and they play faster.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Well, what style of music do you play? I'm gonna guess AC/DC style; in which case, I would recommend the Gibson.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

theyre very different guitars. personally i prefer strats but thats just me.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Which type of neck, weight and sound do you prefer? Its really personal preference of the "Fender" sound or the "Gibson" sound. You could put a stacked HB in to the Fender, but you wont get the thick sound of a Gibson.
Get both like I did!
The LP is a very good choice BUT if you get a strat which has HSS or something simarlar you could practically get the best of both worlds, I'd probably go for the strat cos my dad'd pay for it all cos he's obsessed with them, he hates LPs however
Quote by zekk
Strat, I prefer the sound, you can mod the sound better, and they play faster.

Tell that to Zack Wylde
Quote by demea
Tell that to Zack Wylde

Exactly what I was thinking!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

like slash said(or something like it) strats may sound slightly better but lp's are more reliable and look alot better

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

its all personal preference. go to the store and play both guitars alot and figure out which one u want more.
This is a god thread...I'm having the same problem. I've decided on my first amp (Vox AD15w) but can't decide between an Epi LP Standard or a Fender Strat HSS...the price difference is about three bucks.
Will the Strat really give something close to the LP sound? I have my doubts...in the end, I suppose the best way is to play both!

Oh, and for a great comparison between the two...watch Roger Water's live version of The Wall filmed in Berlin. When they do Comfortably Numb, they do a wicked 'dueling' solo...Snowy White on a Gibson Les Paul, and some other guy on a Strat. They just keep going back and forth...wicked...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
123 to SRV_King

but i personally would take the gibson because i prefer the neck, orgasmic sound and the sexi looks.
Quote by demea
Tell that to Zack Wylde

But none of us are Zakk Wylde are we now?

They're completely different guitars, try a load of them and decide for yourself, we can't decide for you.

It's all personal preference.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
tbh, if you can afford to get a gibson lp, you can afford to get a kind of strat that totally owns the sh*t out of the LP.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I have both and i prefer my Gibson.
They're both good instruments though, so it really comes down to your personal preference and the style of music you're looking to play. As said before, Gibsons sound fatter. Strats are more comfortable to play. But they're both versatile quality instruments. So i suggest you just try out several Strats and LPs and see which you like best.
Consider the budget too, because a LP standard costs nearly twice as much as a Strat standard.
i sat in a music store deciding between the two different ends of this spectrum and got only polarized opinions from anyone i asked. I was probably there for four hours and played maybe 4 LPs and 3 strats before deciding to go with an ash american model. it cost quite a bit, but i definitely preffered it to the alder. the neck felt just right. to my fingers, LPs feel small and insubstantial, but to some they might feel fast and full of sustain; to my ears the LPs sounded too nice, its hard to describe, but i actually preffered the thin rip of the singles coupled with the sustain and rich, broad tone of the ash body.

I'm very happy with my decision, but remember, with LPs your reliability is much higher. not only does mine have a tremolo, but it's floating system which can make tuning a pain in the ass, but the locks on the tuners help to remedy that. my suggestion is to go do what i did. make it clear that you're there to buy something, and they'll probably let you stay a while (if it's not a busy day), and try to take into account the non-tonal issues you'll have to deal with as well.
^Too nice? Explain please...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by BcRichOwner
like slash said(or something like it) strats may sound slightly better but lp's are more reliable and look alot better

How do "strats sound slightly better"?

They sound completely different.

And I personally hate the sound of single coils .

And no, a humbucker in an alder guitar will not sound the same as a humbucker in a huge hunk of mahogany.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by zekk
But none of us are Zakk Wylde are we now?

= douche bag.
Quote by demea
= douche bag.

= not even an insault.

In my personal opinion, (My house is full of guitars like Fender Stratocasters, Fender Telocasters, Gibson Les Pauls, & The other ones thrown into the mix are ones like my Jackson Pro RR3 Flying-V, a cool mid-80's Kramer Gibson Explorer Copy with a Stratocaster-Style Bridge in it...there's an Epi' ES335 thrown in the mix...etc...) What I think... is that the Fender Stratocaster has by FAR the biggest Knock-off/Copy Rate of ANY Guitar...you can get a Strat Copy made by EVERYONE....HELL; EVEN Gibson made a Strat Copy!! (well, Epiphone...) The Les Paul is really good for situations that require a lot of sustain & fat tone...but a Strat is a lot more "Universal" in terms of types of music that it's seen in as the Most Popular Guitar... I've Recently noticed that the Pop-Punk/Alternative/Etc... Scene seems to be pushing Guitars like the Gibson SG & the ESP Viper a lot more latley...
But still to this day (ever since the first time I Played it...) I've Never seen any guitar that Plays Better, Sounds Better, or looks too much better then my Jackson Pro RR3...I Like that guitar the best...all though the placement of the Strap Buttons could have been thought-out a bit better...they seem EXTREMELY Close together to me...
R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
depends how u wanna play. If youre just jammin with mates then go for the strat because it is comfortableto sit and enjoy. But gigging i suggest the LP because it is reliable gives a good tone and looks the part too

"Iwould do a lot of dangerous things to get my hands on a JCM800 full stack"- GNR_ROK
Quote by FacingUsAll
How do "strats sound slightly better"?

They sound completely different.

And I personally hate the sound of single coils .

And no, a humbucker in an alder guitar will not sound the same as a humbucker in a huge hunk of mahogany.

dont ask me, i didnt say it

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.