Greetings. I am a newish guitar player. I have a used (bought from friend for $75) Epiphone strat clone, Ok sounding for me, but I am stuck with a 40 year old REX 5 watt amp. it's too quiet, it has a volume knob and a tone knob, and that's it. I am wanting a good quality, high durability, higher powered amp (>50 watt) with all the bells and whistles (effects, reverb, you know the drill) but I really don't want to have to save my money for an amp over $350. I am pretty sure I can get a 65 watt crate with what I want at guitar center, but I am wondering if I can get better with another brand. From what I've heard (From friends, I don't know how true this is) peavy and fender both make pretty low quality amps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and reply. advice is good
What stlyes of music d'ya wanna' play?

And is your "REX" amp a valve amp?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Pieter-Jan
Get a compressor pedal

That won't solve any of his problems, genius.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
What stlyes of music d'ya wanna' play?

And is your "REX" amp a valve amp?

Anything from heavy metal to soft and sweet.

The markings on the amp say it's a four tube dual input. (I saw this exact same amp on ebay more than a month ago, the person was trying to sell it for $350, wtf?! It didn't sell, lol)
Roland Cube 30 or 60
Vox Valetronix's have effects, and others.

I prefer the Cubes.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Crates are said to be good. I haven't tried many, but they're not bad at all.

Roland cube and valvetronix are great amps for the money. Definetely give those a try.

Peavey SS amps are really popular. I find them a bit hard to use, but they're good anyway. Fender's FM series has a good clean sound, and an OK drive but it won't suit everyone.

My personal favorites: Marshall AVT's. They're overpriced, but sound amazing.
^I've played an AVT a lot at college, and I can only get one tolerable sound out of it, I personally don't like them.

And look for Vox's and Rolands.
Don't be afraid to care"

Ok, as far as Crate Amps go, this is what I've been looking at and seriously considering: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_crate_fxt65_combo_with_dsp?full_sku=102462736

I don't think I am going to get a marshall, because I can get 65 watts from crate for $100 less than the 50 watt marshall. (with all the bells and whistles)

All of the members of my youth band that play a stringed instrument have crate amps. The friend I bought my guitar from has a newer 65w crate (For some reason, I just can't seem to get the model number....) the bass player has an older 10 or 15w bass amp, and the other guitarist has an older 10 or 15 watt guitar amp.... They all put out great sound by themselves, but they now have the help of our new 850 watt power amp.

Anywho, they all say that fender and peavy amps suck, and peavy PA systems suck too, but, lol, I'm no expert.

thanks again ppl.
elevate youth band
Hmmmmmmm, I found something, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Behringer amps. It's a 120 watt amp with all the bells and whistles, but it's $260 instead of >$300.
linky

Any thoughts?
elevate youth band
Noooooooooo

EDIT: cube for metal, vox for anything else
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 10, 2006,
cube or vox

seriously beheringer's have the worst reliability, they dont sound to bad but, my friend has a small beheringer amp and has to kick it, my guitar teacher has to pound his vtone desktop effect to work, they just aren't reliable. Crates aren't really as good or reliable ether from my expierences. Fenders are good for cleans but not good for metal. Chances are something under 350 with 100 watts is not going to be worth your time.

test out a roland cube or a vox amp
fender amps don't suck!

unless you're ONLY reffering to the frontman and all that ****, which does suck.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~