I just need a way to get rid of my feeback. I know everyone is going to say "Get an ISP Decimator" but I don't have that much money. I can probably spend about $70us. What should I buy in order to do this? I don't have any hum or anything, I just have a high squeeling feedback sound when I stop playing at band practice. I want to avoid this when I am practicing and playing live.
mute your strings and make sure the guitar doesn't face the amp.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
mute your strings and make sure the guitar doesn't face the amp.

That works well when my SD-1 is helping to boost. Once the SD-1 goes on, the amp feeds back instantly.
you can get feedback pretty much just as easily when your guitar is facing away from the amp....you gotta stand as far away as you can.... muting or turning the volume down when your not playin if you have time work
You can get some decent active pickups. Cheaper option: Buy a Noise Gate of some sort from your local music shop.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

noise gates do not help feedback, it just reduces static noice, feedback is where the signal is looping back and forth from the source and the pickup. Thats something those things dont prevent. The ultimate option is to turn down the gain and volume, or go farther away from the amp.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I see... Thank you for the knowledge.

The active pickups should do the trick though right?
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Buy whatever noise gate you can get for your $70, and you're all set. ISP Decimator and Roctron Hush are the big names, but you can get decent ones for cheaper too. I use a Boss NS-2 now and it works like a charm.

And no, Funky P, you CAN eliminate feedback with a noise gate. I've been doing it for a long time, and it works fine.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
well i only stand leik a foot away from my amp at band practice. but to get rid of crazy feedback i just have the volume on zero on my neck pickup (i use bridge usually, except for solos) and then when we finsih a song, i just flip to the neck pup . so i use my pup selector as a kill switch
well thats why you have feedback, standing a foot away from your amp will cause feedback if you play loud enough, move away from your amp
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
my duncans dont feedback if im facing the amp, but my stockers do in my other guitar. if you look at it funny, it will feedback.

just get a new bridge pup and you will be set (im assuming you use your bridge more)
turn the gain down, you should not have ANY feedback no matter where you are, unless of course ur playing metal
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I need the gain. But there are certain parts of songs where I stop for a moment while the other guitarist plays something. I am picking up a Rocktron Hush for $30 this week. I will see if that works.
you should get in the habit of turning your volume knob off when you arent playing and then turning it back up when your next part comes up. its especially important during live performances.
Just roll down the volume knob. If you watch different guitarists closely, you'll see them roll the volume down in between songs or when they aren't playing. Then, when they play again, they just roll it back to 10 and keep playing.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
You could buy a Boss tuner pedal for a little more than 70 bucks and just turn it on between songs and then it's muted. That's the more expensive way of just turning your volume knob down between songs.
just make a bypass pedal... easy as hell, you just need the little switch thingy, and the pedal casing.
Use an EQ pedal and reduce the highest frequenzies. I haven't tried this myself but supposedly it's effective... =P

Otherwise, buy a noise reduction. No, it doesn't reduce feedback, but you can step on it in between songs to completely mute your sound. Or use cables with signal killing switches. Or a stompbox tuner like someone said.

EDIT: Ok, I read the above posts again, so maybe a noise gate does reduces feedback aswell, sorry about that.
Last edited by maxter0 at Jul 11, 2006,
Quote by Xenn99
Just roll down the volume knob. If you watch different guitarists closely, you'll see them roll the volume down in between songs or when they aren't playing. Then, when they play again, they just roll it back to 10 and keep playing.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Dont waste your money on stuff when you can just roll down your volume on your guitar when youre not playing. You should get in the habit of doing that, anyway.