I am just wondering what scale I would have to use inorder to solo over the 12 bar blues. For example if someone is playing 12 bar blues in E, which pentatonic would I use? Same for A and so on? I know the blues scale and all that I jsut don't know which I would use. Thanks
Ok thanks... Well sometime you have to solo in the relative minor or some **** like that. I wasn't sure.
Quote by st.jimmy4091680
u would use the pentatonic E..?? common sence..?

Music theory isn't common sense - it's hard for someone to grasp if they have no previous experience with it. The guys trying to learn, give him a break
i wasent tryin to be mean my bad if i was but yeah E and E minor work great use the together and you get one kick ass solo
E blues... Which is E minor pentatonic with the b5 added. Usually you'll see a hybrid... mixing minor/major pent scales.

"E pentatonic" means nothing... gotta specify minor or major.
Looking for my India/Django.
Yes but also, adding onto this.... isn't mixolydian mode recommended as a good scale for blues soloing? I've heard Gary Moore uses a lot of this....

To all those blues players out there, is there theory inolved when you play, like target notes etc when it's changing from a V chord to a IV chord, or do you just play up and down pentatonic scales?
Originally posted by bobjewell87:
what the hells an emo song?
Theory isn't necessary, but I tend to pay attention to target notes, it makes you sound like you're playing the changes.

The mixolydian mode can also be used over a chord.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I dunno, sometimes when I'm going over a progression I sort of play the changes without necessarily thinking about target notes.
mixolydian is good. dominant 7th scales are good, especially the chord. so is dorian. heck, you can even get into modes (oh wait, i already did.) if you do, the 2-5-1 (dorian, mixolydian, major) is good. so you would use D dorian, A mixolydian, and E major. correct me if i'm wrong...
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
So would the relative major of Em work as well?
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
If it's in E? Playing Gmajor over an E blues progression is a common approach, but don't focus on the G, try to play around the E. It'll be decidely major and "happy" sounding, hence we use the blues (which is minor) scale when playing over the blues progression...
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
If it's in E? Playing Gmajor over an E blues progression is a common approach, but don't focus on the G, try to play around the E. It'll be decidely major and "happy" sounding, hence we use the blues (which is minor) scale when playing over the blues progression...

Ah, ok. I'll proably just play something in G and then make my soul pour it in Em if you understand that at all.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by redwing_suck
^ I don't.

Haha. Nevermind.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums
Quote by st.jimmy4091680
u would use the pentatonic E..?? common sence..?

obviously not, considering if he was playing 12 bar blues in E and he used the E major penatonic scale it wouldnt sound too hot.

Minor Penatonic blues scale, if youre playing in the key of E play the E minor penatonic blues.. Will work great
Thanks for the responses, yeah I need to learn the mixoyldian mode (Actually I really need to get my major scales down). How did you lot all learn your major scales on the fretboard?
Originally posted by bobjewell87:
what the hells an emo song?
Quote by ThePartyBoy
Thanks for the responses, yeah I need to learn the mixoyldian mode (Actually I really need to get my major scales down). How did you lot all learn your major scales on the fretboard?

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com

click on the scales section. Look up the Ionian Mode.
Run!
Quote by ifeastonbums