Finally got a job and will have money to mod...hehe

i got a johnson strat copy with an awesome bluish stain paint job...im thinking about modding it to look more like a strat. hopeing to get a 60's style strat neck for cheap on ebay(not looking for an actual fender one, just one that looks like it) GFS texas strat pup set, gonna sheild the pickup cavity and stuff with copper tape, get strap locks, probally new pots unless i can figure out whats wrong with the ones i have already, new pickguard(this ones all scrachted and crappy), new saddles(like 2 or 3 of the ones on it are old and rusty)...hopefully roller saddles or something similiar. thinking about getting the clapton midboost thing off guitarfetish but i dont liek the idea of routing a battery slot in the back ahah...umm, i think thats it

ill update with pictures as soon as im back to the house where the guitar is and have my camera...either tomorrow or thursday

hoping to keep this project under $200 usd so any reccomendations on anything would be great...thanks

edit: pictures!!

Guitars
Agile 3100 Lp with Floyd Rose @ SD classic blues pups
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive
dunlop 535q
Last edited by TreeOfHalfLife at Jul 13, 2006,
i think im gonna leave it with the paint job it has...its like a transparent blueish color and it looks real cool...ill take a picture when i get the chance
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
Quote by Schecter-06
lol, i know but im showing it off, cuz the guy i drew it for hasnt seen it yet and i want him to

Try the PM function, I hear it works well.
how are you going to put that picture on guitar (draw, paint brush, paint gun, spray paint)?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
picture looks awesome but im not a big fan of designs such as that...i feel most designs are a little too showy...i like a more plain, clean look...or a relic'd look, haha

edit: just remember that the input jack crackles when you move the cable slightly...is their a way to fix this, would it just fix itself when i rewire the pickups and stuff, or do i need a new input jack?
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
Last edited by TreeOfHalfLife at Jul 10, 2006,
ive tried that many times before and it hasnt really helped, now ive decided for the pickguard, pots, and jack im gonna get the superstrat wiring kit of guitar fetish...i like have the switchs instead of the 7way(have it on my bc rich and like it alot more) and that kit will also allow the pickups to be in phase and out of phase...also...im having 2nd thoughts about the gfs texas set...is that good for like stuff like clapton, hendrix, pink floyd and stuff like that...thanks for all the help
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
^^ yeah im gettin that kit too, but do they have one that has a HSS pickgaurd instead of an SSS?
a few things about that kit, i ordered it, i used it, and the switch is the old style 5 way, so make sure you have a wiring diagram for it, i had to go out and buy a regular normal strat 5 way for my rebuild, GOOD LUCK
thanks...i dont know why i said 7 way...but the kit has 3 on/off/on switchs...1 for each pick up...each will have out of phase, in phase, and off...so theirs alot of combinations so i can have more sounds

and again...any help on the pickups would be great...im looking for gfs strat set that works well with hendrix, clapton, pink floyd(david gilmour), and srv

thanks
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
is their anyway i could make the guitar seem louder or resonate more when its not plugged in...i like to walk around when i play and im not always near an amp...any ideas?

edit: i was thinking a new nut might help this, like a brass nut or a bone nut...but how much will that effect my overall tone with the new pickups...will it be too trebly to get the sounds i want?
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
Last edited by TreeOfHalfLife at Jul 11, 2006,
I think the only way you can do that is by getting rid of the finish and putting on a really thin satin finish like on the fender highway 1 guitars. I suppose you could also get rid of all the wood that you can't see underneath the pickguard. If you don't like those ideas, get a little battery powered amp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
ok thanks...the hollowing out under the pickguard ill most likely end up doing but would the new nut help it resonate better not plugged in?
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
put in a bid on a couple differnt strat necks with the large headstock...still havent decided on the tuners and im recondering the paint job...i like the stain'd blue but i was thinking just classic black with a white pickguard...ill have pictures of the guitar up sometime tomorrow so i can you can get a better id of the color and stuff and give me som reccomendations on what to do with it...still havent decided on the pickups...either a gfs set that will give me the sound im looking for(need help with that) or some nice pickups off ebay(woudl also need help with that)

any help is greatly appriciated...this is my first project

thanks
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
I've read from various modders here that the GFS PUs are pretty decent and at those prices, can't really complain. I have an old, really beat up Strat body from a garage sale that the owner claims to be a Fender and when I get around to it, will probably install some GFS singles.

As far as color, don't go Black, unless you're going with a black PG, maple/maple neck with the correct headstock ala David Gilmour

Also, try doing some Kisekae models, it always helps to visualize color combos and different hardware, etc. Good Luck!
edit'd with pics of the guitar in the first post...lemme know what you think i shoudl do about the color, leave it that greenish blue stain or sand and repaint
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
i like the way it is right now, but if you want to put that picture on it. You've got to repaint it.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
nah...i dont want to put that picture on it...i leaning more towards leaving it how it is cause its kinda a unique color...havent really seen another guitar like it...just gotta get the money and order the parts and stuff...ill keep yous posted alone the way

edit: can anyone tell what kind of wood it is from the pictures?

thanks
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
Last edited by TreeOfHalfLife at Jul 13, 2006,
I say leave the paint job the way it is, its nice and original, everybody and their guitar-thrashin granny has a black strat w/ white PG
Quote by TreeOfHalfLife
nah...i dont want to put that picture on it...i leaning more towards leaving it how it is cause its kinda a unique color...havent really seen another guitar like it...just gotta get the money and order the parts and stuff...ill keep yous posted alone the way

edit: can anyone tell what kind of wood it is from the pictures?

thanks

Agreed! I love how that unique transparent green shows off the nice grain. Personally, if I were to mod that thing, I'd go with a black pickguard and PUs with black covers, ebonize the neck so it's black OR get a maple/maple neck that's really light.
ok...here's what im hoping it will look like when im done

next friday i shoudl have enough for the neck(found one on ebay i like, no name on the headstock, anyone know how i could get the 70's strat logos on there) and the superstrat pickguard...then anouther week and i should be able to buy some pickups and straplocks

lemme know any ideas for the pickups...i still have yet to decide on them, and any other ideas woudl be great...thanks
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm

how to put a logo on the headstock.....

About the pickups, you should probably change to a HSS or HSH setup for more versatility... I don't know if you have ever unscrewed your pickguard but maybe you won't even need to route anything if its prerouted for a pup upgrade.
Quote by TreeOfHalfLife
is their anyway i could make the guitar seem louder or resonate more when its not plugged in...i like to walk around when i play and im not always near an amp...any ideas?

edit: i was thinking a new nut might help this, like a brass nut or a bone nut...but how much will that effect my overall tone with the new pickups...will it be too trebly to get the sounds i want?

acoustic guitars own.
not pwn, own.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
yeah...i saw the necks for cheap...but their the smaller headstocks, im a fan of the larger headstocks...i just think they look alot cooler
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
for the pickups i was thinking (all gfs pickups) bride/neck - either 1960's repro, hendrix reverse stagger, or texas set and for the middle- brass bottom

thinking these cause the neck and bridge i can get good cleans and distorted tones, and the middle i can get some nice tele twang

lemme know what you think
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker
olp
Amps
Bugera 5w class a
Pedals
dunlop 535q
Last edited by TreeOfHalfLife at Jul 18, 2006,
update...order'd the neck today

things i still gotta get:
pick ups- look at my last post before this one and help me decide which pickups to get
pick guard- ordering next weekend hopefully
strap locks- next week ro the week after hopefully
saddles - same ^
maybe new nobs...havent gotten a chance to check out what condition mine are in
copper sheilding tape - next week hopefully
guitar polish (recomend me some) - when im done everything else
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Old B.C. Rich NJ Series
Home Built Stratocaster
1/2 Ovation Trekker