Well, I'm just leanring to play guitar. I can read tabs and all that already, but I have yet to buy a guitar. And I was wondering, what kind of electric guitar is best for learning?

-Mark.
well since your just starting, you shouldn't worry about quality so buy something cheap like squier or epiphone
An Epiphone LP or SG They're around 200 bucks and come with amp and stuff. Or an Agile those are good, no kits though. Idk Check out Musiciansfriend.com They got some cheapy stuff.
For a beginner's guitar, you need something versatile and easy to play, but not too expensive.

Don't just take the cheapest guitar! Try some different ones out and think twice before buying.

My recommendations:
-Ibanez GSA60

-Yamaha Pacifica 112

-Squier Standard Stratocaster (make sure it says "Standard" on the headstock, cos the other ones SUCK!)

-Epiphone Les Paul standard (if you can afford it)

Hope that helps!
Last edited by sashki at Jul 10, 2006,
A cheap one. Seriously, why wear out an expensive guitar that you may eventually find is not to your tastes! Guitars like wine are all different and while a cheapish wine is fairly universally pallatable but an expensive one tends to pander to more refined tastes and thus cannot be truly appreciated by the novice.

Again though like wine you can go too cheap, so head down to your local music store and see whats on offer in your budget then come back and ask about those - after all if its not for sale there is no point recommending it!

If you feel confindent enough it would be best to ask if you can plug the guitar in and try a few riffs. The store wont mind, and you will be able to determine if the guitar plays nicely for you.
You see, I would go to a local shop and get one, but there are no guitar shops where I live. Not for at least 300 miles... Anyone know where I can get a really cheap electric?
buy somthin cheap but make sure you try it out first or so u know its not crap
Try a Squier Starter pack. That's what I got for my first electric. It works great for the first year. Then you'll want something else. But they are very versitile, and will get you going in jazz, blues, rock, punk, even a bit of metal. Whichever direction you want to take it can get you started.

Quote by <><
Please post here, and check out the FAQ after you delete this thread.

Thank you.

To "<><", shut up, please. He's new, he doesn't know. Are you a mod? No. You're just an elitist veteran who likes to boost his post count by posting messages such as this one, all over UG. You're the noob.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Try a Squier Starter pack. That's what I got for my first electric. It works great for the first year. Then you'll want something else. But they are very versitile, and will get you going in jazz, blues, rock, punk, even a bit of metal. Whichever direction you want to take it can get you started.

To "<><", shut up, please. He's new, he doesn't know. Are you a mod? No. You're just an elitist veteran who likes to boost his post count by posting messages such as this one, all over UG. You're the noob.

Elitist veteran?... his join date is 'Jan 2006' - he was merely pointing out the thread was in the incorrect forum and linked him to the FAQ so he doesn't make the same mistake twice. Keep your hair on, buddy.
Don't just buy the cheapest thing you can find. . .

Maybe a used standard strat. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Hey Half-demon02, if you have a friend/relative, who has played guitar longer than you, I´d recommend taking him/her with you, when you´re out to buy that first guitar. More experienced players can usually point out the differences between a good 300? guitar and a bad 300? guitar... Sashki mentioned some good guitars to start with..
As mentioned before, a Squier Standard Stratocaster works just fine.
My first guitar was an Ibanez GA aswell (see above) and I can totally recommend it, it's an awesome guitar
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I'd say go for a Yamaha Pacifica 112 (as above) or the Ibanez GSA60 (also as above). Don't buy a Squier Strat. Not worth it. Maybe a Squier Tele.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
well my first guitar was an epiphone les paul special II which the guy at the store recommended to me because i said slash was my favourite guitarist
Quote by lespaul_rentals

Couldn't have said it better

I started playing seriously about a year and a few months ago, and my first guitar was a Squier Affinity Strat Pack. It came with a Fender Frontman 15G amp. The guitar's got great action and you can make it sound, quite literally, however you want. I'm into bands like It Dies Today, War of Ages, & On Broken Wings and even with the gain on the amp, I couldn't get enough distortion. So I went and bought a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, and the guitar sounds nothing short of AMAZING with it.

I would recommend a Squier Strat to not only beginners, but those looking for affordability & quality.