Hi guys, about a week ago I started a thread asking about Krank vs. Mesa/Boogie and I got some excellent help from many people and have another question. Unless anyone remembers my little plea, I've ended up selling my Rect-o-Verb combo and going with a Dual Recto half stack with a Mesa/Boogie cab which suits me quite nicely, as I got the whole thing for VERY cheap. Anyway, as everyone knows the Dual Rectifier is quite a high gain amplifier and for the record, I usually crank the gain at around 8-9+. I'm going to be getting a new guitar soon and have pretty much settled on some Ibanez RG Prestige, but I'm not sure which one yet. I also plan to change the pickups to a PAF Pro in the neck position and an X2N in the bridge. My concern is that might be just toooo much gain and could sound very um.. bad. I think someone told me before that I don't need high output pickups with a high gain amp but right now I have a Mexican Fat Strat with EMGs in it (an 81 in the bridge) and I would say it sounds very nice through my Recto so I wouldn't think that a passive, however high output X2N would do any harm. Please advise.
You know the gain does go to less than 8, like it can actually 5 or even down to 4. Also the Recto has what like 8 modes? 5 of which have less gain.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Um.. ofcourse I know it can go to uh.. 1-10 yeah. I play on the Lead channel on Vintage. And actually, I was trying to sound less crazy than I am but to be honest I like always have gain on 10. But yeah, I know I have the physical ability to turn it down, I just try to get the most agressive metal tone I can. That also includes putting the Presence pretty high too.
1-10? My gain goes to 11. It's like 1 more than what you blokes are rocking at.
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
Quote by Funky P
You know the gain does go to less than 8, like it can actually 5 or even down to 4. Also the Recto has what like 8 modes? 5 of which have less gain.

+1.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by HelpMeImHungry
1-10? My gain goes to 11. It's like 1 more than what you blokes are rocking at.

haha, my amp goes to 12...thats like 2 more than all...altho i dont rip gain out like that, im a bluesman...sorry if i wasted a post i felt the need to exclaim
Quote by PerryS.
Um.. ofcourse I know it can go to uh.. 1-10 yeah. I play on the Lead channel on Vintage. And actually, I was trying to sound less crazy than I am but to be honest I like always have gain on 10. But yeah, I know I have the physical ability to turn it down, I just try to get the most agressive metal tone I can. That also includes putting the Presence pretty high too.

There's no need really to have a high gain amp like a Dual Rectifer with gain cranked to 10. It's get to the point where you've gone past the 'aggresive metal tone' and starting to hide your mistakes with the large amount of gain. Hense, your playing will start getting sloppy.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
bah, recto's pre amp gain is meh. all its OD is in the poweramp. SO having the gain that high on a dual isn't that bad imo. because even with it's gain dimed it wasn't that much on modern i thought. but then again i am UG's #1 gain \/\/hore

why not just get EMG's in the prestive? imo 81 >>>>>>>> xn2. why change if you're happy with your tone? you seem to have a problem with that. haha.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I'm getting worried... things are going pretty spinal tap round here
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

bah, my XXX doen't have numbers so i'm assuming it just goes to infinity.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I don't really want to get EMGs again. I don't like having to change the battery (although it would probably be an easier process in a guitar without a pickguard) and idk, I'm just looking for something new. As for why I'm getting a new guitar, I don't care for my action and I really don't like my Floyd Rose, it's been messed up too many times by local guitar techs or whatever you would call them. Oh and about the sloppy playing thing... I wish I could cover up my mistakes with distortion but I generally get things to sound very even and "right" without my amp just to make sure I don't play sloppy.
well yeah you can always turn down the gain if theres to much.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

well i like my amp gain at 10 and i have the EMGs with a gain booster......
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by TUMFP
haha, my amp goes to 12...thats like 2 more than all...altho i dont rip gain out like that, im a bluesman...sorry if i wasted a post i felt the need to exclaim

My amp goes to 20!

Pwnt!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009