Page 1 of 2
yeah you spend that much but its a lifetime guitar. as long as you continue to play it you never look back on that
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
What's wrong with getting same guitar used. I have 2 fenders both made in america, one ultra and the other standard with maple neck. Both are great. No problems. Of course i got them from a very reputable dealer, but i paid much less than what i would for a new guitar, and except for the serial numbers you probably couldn't tell the difference between mine and a new one, so go used.
Last edited by grim1 at Jul 10, 2006,
yeah, used aint a bad way either, but check it out definitely for problems
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
just to add, they have a ton of mex made fenders above the mex standard.

players deluxe, 50's and 60's strat., anniversary strat, all under $600.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ya i like used...my amp i got used for a real good price...hopefully i can find some Am. Strats...as for the MIM's i kno there are a few diamonds in the rough which are actually really nice, but i do want a guitar that will last and give me the tone im lookin for. but ya im goin to look more used, my amp is a Peavey Classic 30, mint condition pretty new for $400usd. great deal, i was stoked
Quote by TUMFP
ya i like used...my amp i got used for a real good price...hopefully i can find some Am. Strats...as for the MIM's i kno there are a few diamonds in the rough which are actually really nice, but i do want a guitar that will last and give me the tone im lookin for. but ya im goin to look more used, my amp is a Peavey Classic 30, mint condition pretty new for $400usd. great deal, i was stoked

Then don't get a standard, any of the reissues or various specials (that jenny mentioned) are lasting guitars, The standards are workhouse guitars too, My friends dad has been using the same Mexican since the early 90's and other than having to reconnect some wires (which he swears was because of the lugging around) he hasn't had problems. So don't eliminate a guitar just because of the country it was made. Actually go out and play it and find that one that feels right
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
The mexican ones are fine, their quality control is a bit patchy though so be sure try before you buy.

Upgrade the pickups and it can sound just as good as an American. The main difference in playability is rolled fretboard edges on the American but they all play like Strats overall.

edit: there are the Highway 1 ones, which I can't remember the specifcs but they're the middle ground between the Mexican and USA ones
the 50s and 60s Strats are also OK
Last edited by seljer at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by seljer
The mexican ones are fine, their quality control is a bit patchy though so be sure try before you buy.

Upgrade the pickups and it can sound just as good as an American. The main difference in playability is rolled fretboard edges on the American but they all play like Strats overall.

edit: there are the Highway 1 ones, which I can't remember the specifcs but they're the middle ground between the Mexican and USA ones
the 50s and 60s Strats are also OK

yea, that is the best way to go, i myself bought the american, but my friend bout the mexican one, bought the HIghway 1 pickups and used those to replace the ones in his mexican strat and it plays/sounds excatly the same, except for the part that he sucks at guitar but thats beside the point
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
My 50's Classic with Hot Noiseless pickups pretty much makes it better than most std Americans in my opinion. Neck is great, stays in tune, beautiful guitar!
My MIM is 12 years old, and still the best strat I've ever played!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
k i rechecked the specs, and i feel like an idiot...the materials are basically the same thing with a very minor difference. thanx guys, i appreciate the help
the finish.

seriously tho. the highway ones are just mexican parts made in an american plant a few miles out of mexico.

its fine if u like the thin finishes on the highways, but its not a huge improvement.
IMO a better jump would be a mexican deluxe strat or one of the retro strats.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by jj1565
the finish.

seriously tho. the highway ones are just mexican parts made in an american plant a few miles out of mexico.

its fine if u like the thin finishes on the highways, but its not a huge improvement.
IMO a better jump would be a mexican deluxe strat or one of the retro strats.

Has to have an american neck. It has 22 frets.

I'm thinking about buying one for modding purposes, I want to have a similar guitar to Rivers. and I like the way the Highway 1's have felt when I played them
I have a 70's Classic Strat MIM and it's pretty nice. I got it used in near perfect condition. Definitely try out different Standard Strats or the Classic Series Strats.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by socialtool
Has to have an american neck. It has 22 frets.

I'm thinking about buying one for modding purposes, I want to have a similar guitar to Rivers. and I like the way the Highway 1's have felt when I played them

yep thanks, and the neck. just not crazy bout the highway 1.
i used to pump it all the time, but with all the new mex mades, and standard upgrades out there now, the highway has kind of lost its appeal for me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yep thanks, and the neck. just not crazy bout the highway 1.
i used to pump it all the time, but with all the new mex mades, and standard upgrades out there now, the highway has kind of lost its appeal for me.

Yeah I don't know, I'm not all that crazy about any of them in particular but I enjoy finding the diamonds from each series in the shops. They all have a distinct quality that I enjoy
are the PU's a big price jump between the different types. because if i get a MIM , have it pro set-up, change the PU's, drop some.12s on there with the setup hows it goin to compare to a MIA?

one more question...is there a difference in the body as in 2piece alder, 1 piece, 3 piece between these models?
well if u get a standard MIM no frills (stock pickup) it might be $120-200 for some nice pickups.

if u get a classic MIM strat or a deluxe MIM strat, u will spend more up front but might like the stock pickups better.

if u "drop 12s" on a strat, ull have to adjust the bridge and probably the neck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ya i have setup covered with no fees. and now i got thinking? MIJ Fender, where are those available...i hear wonders about the MIJ and am curious on those as well.
so used MIJ Fender on ebay sounds really tempting...and they run from $300-600 on there which is actually a little under what i would like to spend. any reviews on the MIJ?
Quote by TUMFP

one more question...is there a difference in the body as in 2piece alder, 1 piece, 3 piece between these models?

afaik the MIM strat is 5 pieces and the MIA is 2 or 3 tops.

If I were you I'd go play both before making any decision on which one to get.
my squier tele body was 3 pieces of alder.

less pieces is better because ull have less joints, thats a more solid construction, chance for better sustain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

MY 06 strat was 470 after set-up, Im gonna get a harness wit Lindy Fralins in it, that is 300, I put 12's on it and its Brown Sunburst. I decided to do that instead of saving up to buy a MIA 62' Reissue.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
The 80's one were, idk if they even make MIJ standerds anymore.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
hmmm...ive found a few gems on ebay, ill have to check there once i get the cash

MIM 5 piece...ur kidding right? my buddys got a Squier which is 3 piece...
My 06' Was a 3 piece.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
The newer MIM or 'standard' models as Fender now calls them are made from 3-7 pieces of Alder. Older ones were made from 5-7 pieces.

This will obviosly affect tone and can explain why a lot of people state that all MIM's are different.

My advice, if you're going to go get one, is play as many as you can until you find the right one.
Page 1 of 2