Can't tell the wood, but for a Strat alder or ash would be a good choice. As for Scale length, 25.5" is the norm for Strats and Teles.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
who the hell knows what type of wood that is. with out sanding it i wouldnt know. as for the neck theres a couple of typical scales the use. so i dont know either.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i don't know. we need to see more. like the actual wood. we don't have x-ray vision. i'd guess alder since a lot of strats have aldar.
At that cost it'll proabably be agathis cos it's cheap. it;s the stuff the squier strats use

I googled excel strat and got a few reviews - no one mentioned wood type but everyone said it's "very light" that probably means a fairly shoddy wood
Last edited by doive at Jul 10, 2006,
yeah i doubt its alder or ash. cheap strats usually dont come made out of that. it could even be plywood. but we should be able to tell you if you got it and sanded all the color off of it.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Well here are the pics.
This one is the top....

On the side it doesnt have layers and looks just like the top. So which wood is it?
alright, i just finished sanding the back so here are pics of the full back sanded.

still cant tell those pics are pretty small. i cant even see the grain in those
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i dont know how to make the pics any better.......well is agathis pressboard? Cause it doesnt look like that and defiantely not plywood, my dad said it look'd more like oak and i know it isnt oak cause it is light, so is there another wood that looks like oak?
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 10, 2006,
Well Im going to the be one to say it: Morningwood

But seriously I'm going to say that it's alder.
if its light with that grain pattern (what i could make of it) i gotta go with lespaul and say alder
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i think so. standard strats use alder if yours is in fact alder then yeah it like a fender strat
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Holy **** I got a $100 dollar guitar and it's got the same body as a real strat? that was unexpected.... so how do i calculate the neck scale and other stuff i need to know about the neck before i buy it?
and shector06 that wat i was wanting to do but now im thinkin about a blue stain...
So can someone tell me the things i need to know before i buy a neck and how i can figure them out, post links if u can
scale length is probably most important thats the length from the inside of the nut to the inside of the string saddles. more then likely your guitar is 25.5 inches. i think that was mentioned earlier but it bears repeating. second you need to know the size of the neck pocket to ensure a proper fit.

also keep in mind darker fretboards (ebony and rosewood) tend to yield a deeper tone where as maple will yield a brighter more "poppy" tone.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
ok thx everybody i pretty much got everthing i need to know now
Scale lenght is the lenght from the nut to the 12th fret doubled. Not from the nut to the inside of the saddle
yeah actually you can measure it that way but the way i said works too. you get the exact same thing.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
alright so i done the measurin and now im confused, the nut-to-saddle is 25.5" but the nut-to-12th fret x2 is 24, can someone post a link to an official site that will tell me the truth

Edit: nvm two guys above were right, it was me being a dumb***, i thought the 11th fret was the 12th fret
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 11, 2006,
Quote by metalmilitia74
yeah actually you can measure it that way but the way i said works too. you get the exact same thing.

You don't get the same thing, with intonation it's not going to be the exact scale length. It's not important with most guitars but some guitars that say they have a 24 3/4 scale acctually don't.
threadstarter. if you got 25.5 going from nut to saddles then thats your scale length. thats th way ive always done it, my tech has always done it. its the easiest way i know to do it.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.