right guys, after my gcse's are done with i am able to get a new guitar and i fell this has everything i could possibly need at the standards i am playing.

but i need to know if this guitar would support the likes of music styles of killswitch engage and unearth for example and still be resiliant enough for everything else, i have read the reviews on it and it seems wicked.

i cant find another really good guitar in that price range and quailty with everything i want.

they pickups seem good and the neck looks great and has 24 frets, good stuff.
i am not always going ot be just pkaying this metalcore/hardcore music as it will be used in my musical college courses too, so it will be something to last me for at least 2 years and deal with home recording, just by looking at the specs it looks good enough.

thank you
in that price range?!? dude that's a decently expensive guitar how much are u getting for it?
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
sorry for double post but im getting it at £668, off GAK as i am UK. i have ordered from there before so i know spending that amount of money will be a safe transaction
Have you tried it out?
Seriously, in my opinion one of the most dissapointing guitars on the market today.
If the JEM555 is the jem i am thinking of it has a ****ty ILT trem and will not hold tuning after a month Trust me I know I have a rg270B same trem and it holds for about 2 dives( after a month of use) before you have to retune the high e and A
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Beware of the bridge, the old ones had the Lo-TRS which is not good, the new ones have apparently got the Edge Pro II which still isn't as good as a full Ibanez Edge/Edge Pro/Lo-Pro Edge.

Try the RG1570, its much less (only 450 on GAK, you can spend whats left over on better pickups), has a better bridge, same basswood body, the neck is a tad thinner than the JEM neck
With the JEM you're paying extra for the Steve Vai name on it, and the vine inlay which is basically just eyecandy....
edit: also its a Prestige Ibanez, unlike the JEM555 which is just a regular one
Last edited by seljer at Jul 10, 2006,
really? argh damn it.

hmmm i have looked about and i cant find many good guitars around that prace which has a locking trem, they shape of it, like the headstock style too, but i do like black guitars with white blinding. i am askign this stuff now as my mind is slipping and i may try and find a guitar which is like that but good quality in black with white binding with the trem and 24 frets. but if this guitar is dissapointing i shall look around. i have looked at jackson and ESP too they havent come up good so far. hmmm
also you can get the monkey grip done for about (guessing) 150pounds and the vine inlays can be done taking off hte current inlays(ask arounds people do it ) and by buying vinyl stick-on inlays
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
You seem to be concentrating on the image rather than the feel.
Take yourself to a guitar shop and play everything you can set your eyes on, find something that really fits you. That inspires you to play. At the end of the day you don't want to be sat playing a guitar you just forked out £500+ for and feeling dissapointed, regretful, because you can't connect with the instrument.
ibanez have some awesome black guitars( with cream/white bindings) let me see what i can find
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
any prestige RG is way better than the jem.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
yeha thats true ^, but any shops aroudn my area sell shine guitars and low end ibanez's i have tried a low end rg before about the £200 mark and it was alright, a must for me its the trem and pickups and preferably black or white at this moment in time. i am also comforatble with that shape as i already have a les paul and now thinking about this guitar again i am not sure i will check on the other ibanez's but 2 humbuckers which wouldnt need changing and a good trem will do me fine.
ok check out the s520 s470 they are kick ass and not that expensive
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
If you really want it to be black:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66817
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69434 (with a piezo in there too)

if you're on a budget: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=7050 (or you can use what you have left over for pickups )

though all of the Ibanez RG prestiges are practically identical in specs, only difference is HH vs HSH (and all their pickups are pretty poor anyway) and visual stuff

Quote by Funky P
any prestige RG is way better than the jem.

yep, though only the jem555 is the bad one, the other JEMs are all also prestige (though they are pricey)
Quote by WaRl0cK101
right wel lthrough looking i found some good ones that i like the look off, but do the specs match up , i personally have no idea so i have come to ask you lot

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66783

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69434

the RGT is not prestige Ibanez (and it has an Edge Pro II). And Prestige Ibanez is of course better than regular
and the Prestige neck through models are pricey (though magogany is probably a better wood for the stuff you play compared to basswood)
right will im stuck :P
but at the moment the black one seems far better but i am not to clear about what you have said about the pickups, would they need to be replaced or not? or would it be better to find another guitar?

Quote by seljer

though all of the Ibanez RG prestiges are practically identical in specs, only difference is HH vs HSH (and all their pickups are pretty poor anyway) and visual stuff

the HH will be a lot better than HSH i guess, i wouldnt use the S much, so it will save me money, and i now see that the Edge Pro II is bad? so i will look out for that on some more ibanez's and for prestige models
All of the Ibanezes have mediocore pickups, its their only weak point basically and theres no getting away from it (apart from changing them ). They work fine, its just that theres better stuff out there.

and the bridge you want from on an Ibanez guitar is an Edge, Edge Pro or Lo-Pro Edge
The only thing I'd be careful of there is the liscensed floyd rose :/

you'd want an Original Floyd Rose in there, the Schaller floyds are also ok, and the Ibanez ones I mentioned before. Be very careful around anything else if you're looking for a floyd rose equipped guitar
argh hmm, well i wont be using the bar loads, of course when i first get it to get to know it, but i have found 2 colours of the jackson i really like and in my price range, it has the shape, pickups just the trem, has anybody had any experience with a jackson licsensed trem?

if so how are they, and i am sure they cant be that bad.
uh herman li of dragonforce uses stock v7 and v8 in his S but dude the s series have a zr trem but they are only 400pounds ! i mean listen andlook it never goes out of tune! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtUiQJc7ZMI&search=herman%20li
S520 Ex
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=8883
S470
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10988
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
Last edited by isan at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by WaRl0cK101
argh hmm, well i wont be using the bar loads, of course when i first get it to get to know it, but i have found 2 colours of the jackson i really like and in my price range, it has the shape, pickups just the trem, has anybody had any experience with a jackson licsensed trem?

if so how are they, and i am sure they cant be that bad.

I remeber reading that someone on here replaced the liscensced Jackson flody for an Original which fit in there directly without any problems.
but that is 200$ ! trust me i would do that with my ibanez if it wasnt cheaper just to buy good ibanez from musicgoround.com they have everything!
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
right now i am steering to this jackson here

i dont mind about the trem i have all the money needed to buy the guitar and have £70 saved for other causes so i could put that towards a new trem and fitting? throguh time it could work, its this guitar at £489 from GAK with £40 extra for the transparnt black, i like it a lot, quality stuff for me which will last, but still undicided about the trem

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2910100585
from my experiance jackson compared to ibanez is two pretty different guitars
and the trem is crapshoot
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Boss Gt-8
i have also played a jackson before but a lower praced model of one, about £250 ish mark i think. and i thaught it was pretty good for the money apart from that the trem was tight as ****, :|

but that may have been becuase he drop tuned to B or something like that.

for someone with 2 and a half years exp and giging exp would you say that this guitar is fine, apart from the jackson trem would it do? i am really growing to like it now.
the pick ups seem fine and the neck and body too.

i dont think the trem would be seriously that bad?
and at the price, its cheaper and better than the Jem 555?
Quote by WaRl0cK101

i dont think the trem would be seriously that bad?

the difference might be from "stays in tune perfectly" to "goes baaaadly out of tune whenever you even touch the bridge"
lol yeha i see your point, but for what i play i doubt i am gonna be doing some mega tricks or some brutal dives on it, just what i need in my writing or just to mess with i want one to know i have one, to know its there, for reference in future and to get used to one if i get a guitar with one in future. and it is nice to have one on a guitar and i think they look sick as anything ahha

i think i may have decided, but if its too much for my tuning to handle i wont use the bar, il take it out
Avoid the jem 555 overpriced pos, go for a rg2570/2550/1570 instead if you want an ibanez. I tried a rg2550 the other day and it kicked ass.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by WaRl0cK101
lol yeha i see your point, but for what i play i doubt i am gonna be doing some mega tricks or some brutal dives on it, just what i need in my writing or just to mess with i want one to know i have one, to know its there, for reference in future and to get used to one if i get a guitar with one in future. and it is nice to have one on a guitar and i think they look sick as anything ahha

i think i may have decided, but if its too much for my tuning to handle i wont use the bar, il take it out

Its not your tuning, its the way the thing is consturtuced in general, it can work in any tuning if you set it up correctly (another problem, if you plan on changing tunings a lot you may want a hardtail instead)

and if you're buying something in that range to have for 2 years you may as well buy something good that you wont have any problems with

Quote by ScottishAngus
Avoid the jem 555 overpriced pos, go for a rg2570/2550/1570 instead if you want an ibanez. I tried a rg2550 the other day and it kicked ass.
^^
yeha i guess so, but if i only need to be in another tuning for a short amount of time, i will use my epi, and il probs have this guitar in standard becuase of college, and my les paul in what ever need be, i like this guitar nthe trem is the only bad thing but if its bad il get it replaced for christmas

but yeha thanks for the jem 555 info, that saved me a lot of bloody hastle. i shall continue looking around and i will have a feel with my friends jacksonand make a decision

thanks UG for the help
Quote by seljer
(another problem, if you plan on changing tunings a lot you may want a hardtail instead)

Not anymore, A tremol-no would be a worthwhile modification as you can block the trem off when you want to use alternate tunings and put it back at a flick of a switch.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by ScottishAngus
Not anymore, A tremol-no would be a worthwhile modification as you can block the trem off when you want to use alternate tunings and put it back at a flick of a switch.

there still is a lot more hassle around the locking nut and the locking tuners. But yeah, you can block the thing off (with a high tech solution as the tremol-no or with something much more rudimentary like a block of wood) if its giving you problems (but thats not the point of buying a guitar with a trem)