What are some "evil" sounding scales that would sound good in a heavy metal song?
Seriously though I heard the "hungarian scale" was good for moody/dark stuff. I have never tried it mind.
i think the better question for this would be what are some evil sounding intervals, almost anything can be made to sound evil here are a couple faves in the "key" of E, also a couple at the bottom that sound evil when played in this order, or something like it

E,F,G#

E,G,A#

E,G,G#,A,A#

E,A,A#,B,C

try this progression....

E,F,C,B,E,F,B,A#

or this one

E,Eb,F,G

also ol' reliable....

E,F,F#,G
Try a tritone. (Augmented fourth/diminshed fifth).

Also - harmonic minor, phrygian, dominant phrygian - and perhaps some added chromatic passing tones for more tension.

Diminished scales, too.
John is right Harmonic minor for that neoclasical sound phrigian is always good too full and half diminished scales are always good for a real dissonant sound. (Try locrian)
Quote by Johnljones7443
Try a tritone. (Augmented fourth/diminshed fifth).

Also - harmonic minor, phrygian, dominant phrygian - and perhaps some added chromatic passing tones for more tension.

Diminished scales, too.

I'm sorry....but wtf is a chromatic passing tone?
Quote by Panterica
I'm sorry....but wtf is a chromatic passing tone?

A chromatic passing tone fills the interval between two chord tones a major second apart and occurs in a weak rhythmic position.
hungarian scale....

okay
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
diminished!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Hungarians, if used correctly, can sound evil and exotic. I find that Natural Minor Scales work pretty well for metal.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Hungarians, if used correctly, can sound evil and exotic. I find that Natural Minor Scales work pretty well for metal.

heh heh, yeah spaniards can sound evil and exotic too..... but the french.... they are the ultimate in diabolic humans.....
harmonic minor does it well, but the Super locrian mode of it (once masterd) can be the best or worst scale for evil stuff depending on how you use it...

What you do is you take the Harmonic Minor and start on the Raised 7th, on a A Minor Harmonic you would start on G#...

Or you could pick and choose from the following scales....

http://www.apassion4jazz.net/scales2.html