I have a problem. I own a Fender Stratocaster Highway 1 made in USA and two months ago I started using 0.10 GHS strings instead of 0.09 GHS. The sound is much better, the feeling is nice and the guitar sounds thicker. Now, 3 weeks ago I started using 0.11 GHS strings, and having 5 springs at my guitars back I can play very easy and the sound is even better.
Now, the 3rd string (G) is like the 4th, 5th and 6th string, I mean there are four thick strings like thiny springs and only two thin strings like hair, do you understand? (0.11 strings are build so) There are not 3 fat strings and 3 thin strings.

The problem is that although I can bend a whole step higher (2 frets) at any position, at the 3rd string I can hardly bend 0,75 steps higher (1,5 frets). It is not that I don?t have enough strength; it is that to bend the G-string a whole step higher, I have to bring it almost out of the fretboard and at this position the finger is really ****ed up! Do you see what I mean? There is no space to bend it!

What should I do? I don?t want to star using 0.10?s again?

Any tips?
wtf, you mean the g string is coiled? not just bare string? that's weird..
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

if im understanding what youve written, it sounds like youre bending the string the wrong way? try pushing it toward the low e string, like you would do if u were bending the high e string. that should give you plenty of room... i hope i understand your problem...
The wound G is mainly for playing rhythm, it was intended to be bent. I manage to do it though and I don't find it hard.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
no,you guys don't get it. I BEND it upwards, there is still not much space, to reach 2 frets, it is like trying to bend 10 strings at the same time, it can't be bend more. I think that if I reach it at the top of the fretboard it will strill not be 2 frets or the string will brake.

I NEVER had problems with bending: I can easilly bend 5 frets higher at high-e-string and at least 3-4 frets at b-string. It's totally wierd. I have never seen somehing like this!

Should I change something on those screws at the tremolo?

Common guys I have plenty of strenght, I play guitar for over a year now!Wtf is going on?

Damn! I can only reach 2 frets bend with help of the trmolo bar !!!!!!!!!

help!
I have never come across 11s with wound Gs ('wound' is the word you're going for when you say "four thick strings like tiny springs", for future reference, and 'plain' or 'unwound' when you say "thin strings like hair"). What brand are you using? D'addario 11s don't have wound Gs, so maybe you should switch to them.

Alternatively, you can get a special set made up for you (if you know a bit about string guages), like I have, where I have D'addario 13s but with an unwound 3rd.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
I have never come across 11s with wound Gs ('wound' is the word you're going for when you say "four thick strings like tiny springs", for future reference, and 'plain' or 'unwound' when you say "thin strings like hair"). What brand are you using? D'addario 11s don't have wound Gs, so maybe you should switch to them.

Alternatively, you can get a special set made up for you (if you know a bit about string guages), like I have, where I have D'addario 13s but with an unwound 3rd.

D'addario makes 11's with wound and unwound G's. Look at their website. One of my guitars has D'addario 11's with a wound G and another has D'addario with a plain G.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^^^Fair enough, obviously the guitar shop I go to doesn't sell 'em.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
HAHA G STRING OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!1one!!11!!!eleventyone!!11!
GHS have wound G's. Switch brands for soloing.

Its odd, I can perfectly bend on the three upper strings, the low E and the A, but I cannot for the life of me bend on the D...
Dude you should get a setup done on your guitar if you went from 9's to 11's. That's a huge difference.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
i never quite understood why so many peopel want such thick strings...it seems so pointless for me, yet if u want to do crazy bends just get a guitar with a floating trem.end of story,end of problem. or u could try strengthening your fingers, cuz as a guy above me said, going from 9's to 11's is alot, alot more tension too
Quote by Which_Guitar
i've started to learn the HALO theme song (the hard one) to kill time!

Quote by timsafatass
Dude, you cant play it because your right handed, you can only play it on a left handed guitar
D'addario also makes a set of 10's with a wound G, which is my choice guage.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yea u should make an adjust ment on yur guitar if u went from 9 to 11
u might warp your guitars neck if u dont
do a set-up on your guitar. Also consider detuning a half-step or more.
Quote by JJK
Dude you should get a setup done on your guitar if you went from 9's to 11's. That's a huge difference.

Ok, I only added another spring so there are 5 now (I had 4 when using 0.10's) and nothing else. Maybe I should change somehting at those screwes at the tremolo section.

Should I play with just 4 springs? I am aftaid the tremolo will get an 45 degrees angle with that!!

Does GHS not produce 0.11's with wound G-string? Maybe I'll start using D'addario...

Thanks for the help, any further tips are welcomed!
Quote by justshreddin16
i never quite understood why so many peopel want such thick strings...it seems so pointless for me, yet if u want to do crazy bends just get a guitar with a floating trem.end of story,end of problem. or u could try strengthening your fingers, cuz as a guy above me said, going from 9's to 11's is alot, alot more tension too

The sound is much better than 0.09's. I remember when playing with 0.09 the sound was very thin and light. Don't forget: I use a single-coil strat, 0.10's are much better.
Ok, I just put new 0.10's on my guitar and I can bend very easily at every string now.
Thanks for advice and tips.
The 'fat' g-string you have is called 'wound', I myself swear by them, and being able to bend 1.5 tones on them is ok, around about average.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!