Hello, I was wondering if it would be worth it to put an EMG 81 in my ibanez GRG170DX all the pups in it now are passive and i just want to put the 81 in the bridge because i use it 95% of the time. Would I be able to put it in a keep the passive pups in and just any opinion would help me. Thanks
Quote by dingo jones
Hello, I was wondering if it would be worth it to put an EMG 81 in my ibanez GRG170DX all the pups in it now are passive and i just want to put the 81 in the bridge because i use it 95% of the time. Would I be able to put it in a keep the passive pups in and just any opinion would help me. Thanks

i can't tell you if it's worth it or not, so i'll skip that.

you can put it in, and still wire the passive in, but it'll just bog down the 81. It involves different wiring, which may either mess up the 81's sound, OR the passive's sound, depending on how you wire it. another option is to just disconnect the neck's passive altogether, but leave it in the slot for looks.

everything I said is in the support section of EMG's site:

www.emgpickups.com

check there before you post next time
Ok thanks but i was wondering if it would change the sound of the guitar much and if i should just get the bridge or it would be better to get bride and neck and remove the middle single coil
ok this might be a noob question, but what would happen to a passive pup if it was wired into an active circuit? im wondering because if you apply phantom power(+48V) to a passive mic it dosent do anything.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
ok this might be a noob question, but what would happen to a passive pup if it was wired into an active circuit? im wondering because if you apply phantom power(+48V) to a passive mic it dosent do anything.

the passive pup would be louder than the active, i believe.