yo, i havent really customized my stuff a whole lot and i wus just wondering, what is the difference between pickups when people say active and passive?
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
active pickups have a preamp and thus require a battery
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Passive pickups are the more common type of pickups. They don't have any extra electric power, in that they don't have batteries, and they don't have a preamp in them. Active pickups have a preamp in them, and require batteries. That gives more of a boost to the signal. This means that active pickups have more distortion and are "hotter." Basically, active electronics are good for lots of gain, like metal, and passive are used for anything else.
passive pickups are what is in most guitars. They do not use a battery as a pre=amp where active pickups have a 9 volt battery in the guitar used as a pre-amp. The difference in sound is bassically what kind of tone you want. Pasive pickups will give you lower outputs with better clean tones and just an overal softer tone. Active pickups will give you better highs, a lot more output and a very punchy tone, good for metal and other heavy styles and tones. Bass players tend to use active pickups becasue of the higher outputs needed for slap.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
aight thx
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood
ok, makes sense, but wut happens when the battery dies, how do u replace it, and how do u know when it dies, will ur pickups just go out or will it just disable the preamp? ive never tried to disassemble my guitar, let alone have the courage to...
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax

Quote by srvflood