Ok I just got a Yamaha fg-720sl today. It's just about perfect in action tone comfort etc. What I'm wondering is should I get it set up? what exactly is a standard set up? How much would it cost? is it worth it and whats the price range of replacing my plastic nut and saddle for bone?

Theres the guitar just FYI: http://www.andysmusiconline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Yamaha_FG720SL&Click=15307
what does "to get something set up" mean? is it like upgrading the guitar?
Quote by grungefan89
Hooker! Could someone please buy this kid a hooker?

Let me know when you can actually fuck a cartoon chick in the beared clam and give me a call. I've forgotten what it feels like to shit my pants.
hmmm well after playin it a bit more it does rattle a wee bit. I think ill take it in to fix that. What about replacing plastic for bone? is that worth it?
Quote by octavian
hmmm well after playin it a bit more it does rattle a wee bit. I think ill take it in to fix that. What about replacing plastic for bone? is that worth it?

Rattle??? Where is it rattling at... what exact place on the guitar is rattling? There are a few people here that can actually help you out with minor problems... and some major problems too. Heck we even have an actual luthier who frequents this forum.

Tell us the exact problem and maybe we can save you a few $$.
seems to be the d string when I play it within the first 3 frets.

Oh and another thing, should I get a humidifyer for it? I live in a coastal city if that changes anything.
Last edited by octavian at Jul 10, 2006,
Quote by octavian
seems to be the d string when I play it within the first 3 frets.

Oh and another thing, should I get a humidifyer for it? I live in a coastal city if that changes anything.

Try this first before doing anything that costs you $$.

Loosen the D string enough so you can pull it out of the nut slot. Take a small piece of paper and fold it up. Place it in the nut slot and then "pop" the D string and place it on top of the piece of folded paper. Tune it up and see if it still buzzes on those frets.

This will raise the end of the string closest to the nut and give you an idea of what the problem could be.

Either your frets are uneven, the nut slot is too deep or the frets have become unseated in that spot.

At that point.... I would first look carefully at the depth of the nut slot. From there, I would next check the fret height. If neither of those are the problem, then I would take it in or see if the manufacturer's warranty would cover this problem.
as bill said, it sounds to me like the groove in your nut that the D string fits into might be a little too deep... which is pretty odd considering they are usually not quite deep enough from the factory, imo. the problem COULD be that one of the first few frets is a little high, but that is fairly unlikely given the circumstances. try what bill said about shimming up the string with a little scrap of paper. i'd be willing to bet that it will fix your problem. that being said... i wouldn't pay for a setup on the guitar right now.

as far as switching out the nut and saddle for bone... as ben said, it's really not justifiable on that guitar. the difference in tone is quite minimal and it just doesn't make any sense to spend 80-100 dollars on an upgrade for a 300 dollar guitar. if you have the money to blow, then go ahead... but there's really no point in it, imo.
Ok the buzzing problem is fixed. Now I would kind of like to take off the pickguard on put on something like this : http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/brucewei623/GuitarPickguard339.jpg?allow_mailing_list=1&owner_id=848167&allow_track_link=1&track=0234f9a552-cf127&sp=0

Now how do I go about taking off the pickguard without damaging the wood? or is that even possible?