What adjustments do i need to make when i change my strings on a floyd rose..just intonation (im not changing gauge..)
I just changed my strings today. Same brand, guage, model, everything. After the change, the bridge was sitting far forward (the back was tited up a bit under 1/4) . I did everything the above link said, Put a GIANT scratch on my new guitar in the process..... , And the bridge is still Screwed up!!

Does the height of the action affect the tension needed? Mine is really low. It already has 3 springs attatched, I have tightened the tension claw so much its almost touching the wall of the tremelo cavity, and the bridge is still screwed. Would another spring fix it? Also, what would you do to remove, or Minimize, the big scratch from my guitar? Its on the back, fortunately.
I did the Extra spring, and it worked. But For some reason, the stings seem to have WAY more tension than they did before, even though they are in the same tuning. Is this Just something in my head, or is there some total noob thing I forgot to do (never owned a floyd rose).
when i first changed my strings on my floyd i was about to sell the guitar because i was so pissed off at it, then i just googled it and found 2345462576571 million pages on it. the main thing i had to do was take off the back plate and adjust the screws on the thing that the springs hold on to. like you tune the best you can, then if the bridge is up you tighten the screws a little, then re tune..you do this for ever till the bridge is level. the first time took me an hour and a half. Just google it for a better explaination
Quote by hessian101
I just changed my strings today. Same brand, guage, model, everything. After the change, the bridge was sitting far forward (the back was tited up a bit under 1/4) . I did everything the above link said, Put a GIANT scratch on my new guitar in the process..... , And the bridge is still Screwed up!!

Does the height of the action affect the tension needed? Mine is really low. It already has 3 springs attatched, I have tightened the tension claw so much its almost touching the wall of the tremelo cavity, and the bridge is still screwed. Would another spring fix it? Also, what would you do to remove, or Minimize, the big scratch from my guitar? Its on the back, fortunately.

so the bridge was sitting looking down at the bridge. if so then yes add an extra spring and you may need to loosen the trem claw. and for that scratch of yours if its a light scratch then dont need to be worried about it. but if its a huge scratch then there are some items that can cover up those scratches. let me find them for you
I have not tried this my self since I don't actually have a FR, but i've heard of people blocking the trem to restring and then removing the block afterwards to retun the bridge to full floating. You could also try one of these, Tremol - No and Freelok. There is another one as well but i can't think of the name.
Current Gear
-LTD M-50
-Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifer
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
-Peavey Rage 158
Well, it turns out that The strings were NOT the same guage. I specified in my order that I wanted 10 guage strings, but I guess they accidently put on 9 guage strings. I guess the problem was with the guage change. I Just put on old the 9 guage strings again until I can go to the guitar store and buy a real extra spring, not one whorked from my squier. As for the scratch, Its really not that big a deal. Its on the back, and isnt that deep. I used the old emg 9 volt battery and a 1.14 guage tortex wedged in the spring cavity to block the trem from going forward, and just adjusted the springs until the battery fell out.

Is it okay for the springs to be unevenly placed?
Last edited by hessian101 at Jul 11, 2006,
you meak like /|\ instead of ||| or //| then yeh i guess so since i use a different spring setting aswell