If I can fingerpick on guitar pretty well as well as pick and know a bit of theory?

Is it a completely different concept or?

Sorry for sounding like an idiot and thanks in advance.

-Danny
Quote by soul_power
Serious question. About $1,000 to spend and i really want a monkey. Anyone know where i can get one?

Lol.
well biggest difference between fingering a guitar and fingering a bass is the distance between strings, somthing easy tog et over. as well, bass strings are heavier. you'll do decent i imagine if you have previous fingerpicking experience
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
and wider spaces between frets

pretty much you'll be alright. if you could learn to slap well on your guitar, bass slap will be ****in' cake.
You sort of use a different attack altogether fingerpicking on bass. And wtf? 'Slapping' on a guitar will be quite a bit different than doing it on a bass...
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
not really... Buckethead, Mike Lurie, and that guy with the acoustic do it all the time... and John Frusciante popped in Funky Monks. Its not THAT spectacular.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Hah thanks guys. I'm pretty set on gettin myself one and takin up another instrument..I know theirs tons of threads about it..but could ya throw out some ideas for a bass $250 or less?
Quote by soul_power
Serious question. About $1,000 to spend and i really want a monkey. Anyone know where i can get one?

Lol.
Yeah dude, when i got my first bass it was a Squier Standard Jazz Bass and i still love this thing till this day, that guitar has never failed me once and ill probally use it to the day i die, its about 210 and tottally worth it.
"In your world you can take a pen and write on a peice of paper and destroy 50,000 people or more and its ok because you dont have to see it" - Charles Mansion
So I'm guessing squier basses blow the counterparts on guitars outta the water?
I've read some good things about em..best judgement is to always haul myself on over there and test me some. Ill make sure to test it, thanks =)
Quote by soul_power

Lol.
Squier basses are not bad but there are other basses in the same price range which in my opinion are of better quality, are better set up for comfort of playing and also have good usable sounds. Check out Ibanez basses, great for starting with and you can find pretty decent ones that won't break the bank. Vintage also offer good budget instruments. Squier are decent also but you should check out various basses within your price range and find what sounds and feels best to you.
finger picking on guitar is not like fingerstyle on bass. on guitar, you use the crab style, with the thumb doing the top strings and the other fingers doing the bottom strings. Bass is not like this (unless you are playing harmonics). Instead, you use your thumb as an anchor ad use your fingers (mainly 1 and 2) to pluck the strings. I always think of it like your fingers are walking (or running!!)..
Vintage's are pretty good, just make sure you get one of the more recent ones with the Wilkinson pickups.
Quote by UtBDan
not really... Buckethead, Mike Lurie, and that guy with the acoustic do it all the time... and John Frusciante popped in Funky Monks. Its not THAT spectacular.

I know it is a used technique on guitar, but there is a substantial difference between thwacking the E string of a bass and thwacking the E string of a guitar. For popping, fuller callouses must be built, etc.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by Random2k5
Hah thanks guys. I'm pretty set on gettin myself one and takin up another instrument..I know theirs tons of threads about it..but could ya throw out some ideas for a bass $250 or less?

I've never played one of these...but damnit I've never heard anyone speaking bad about these basses (and guitars)...for the money they are a great buy...

I'm talking about SX basses at rondomusic.com

I'm planning on buying one of these when I have the cash..havent decided on which though...
http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb75.html
http://www.rondomusic.net/spjash.html
http://www.rondomusic.net/sbg2.html
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
i think ive got a vintage p-bass

(by think i mean about the vintage part)

any way to check my basses date? im PRETTY sure its ATLEAST 10 years old. but again, this is all estimates, i need a way to check .

but yeah its squier
Ill be going to guitar center this weekend, do they carry vintages and such? Thanks for all the input btw.
Quote by soul_power

Lol.