okay ive been playing guitar for about 3 years. i play, right now, acoustic and electric. im decent at both. should i try to learn classical? would it help my playing of other styles of music? how hard is it to learn classical since i already now other styles? will it be a tough transition?

also what is a good classical guitar to start with. I dont have a real high budget and i found a guitar store near my home that sells used guitars for about 1/2 price. they had one the other day that was like $100. i dont rmember the name or brand of the guitar. but should i be leary of that one and buy a new one? or start with a cheaper one until i get the hang of it?
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
the more you can play the better, dont censor yourself. yamaha makes some low priced classicals.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
I own 2 Yamaha classicals. One with a cutaway and electronics and one of a traditional shape. I think they are both amazing guitars for the price paid.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
now i know that classical guitars have wider necks then others, how hard is the transition from an electric or standard acoustic to a classical neck?
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Do you really love classical? If you do then go for it, but be aware that it takes a lot of discipline and some techniques that may be new to you. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time on it.

If you are only thinking of doing it because you think it will be impressive then you probably won't get very far. Many great guitarists have tried learning classical guitar and quit because of how difficualt and time consuming it is. That is not to say however, that learning some classical techniques or etudes would be a bad idea though. You may not become a great classical guitarist, but you'll have some new techniques to work with.
terrence, can you please explain how classical guitar tends to be much more time consuming than say electric or acoustic? I've been interested myself, but I know little of what would be a decent classical for around $300-400, that would actually stay in tune well as well as last for a while.

Many classical guitar sites have all their sheet music primarily in standard notation, though some offer tab as well. Do you infer that one should learn and be pretty competent in reading notation in order to be a "good" classical guitarist? My attempts at learning notation have been in vain so far, so I'm interested in knowing this as well.

Not trying to hijack the thread (sort of), but I'm sure these questions have popped through the mind of the threadstarter as well, and I bet there are many out there who could give us insight.
^^yeah, they have you just said what i had forgotten to.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
terrence, can you please explain how classical guitar tends to be much more time consuming than say electric or acoustic? I've been interested myself, but I know little of what would be a decent classical for around $300-400, that would actually stay in tune well as well as last for a while.

Many classical guitar sites have all their sheet music primarily in standard notation, though some offer tab as well. Do you infer that one should learn and be pretty competent in reading notation in order to be a "good" classical guitarist? My attempts at learning notation have been in vain so far, so I'm interested in knowing this as well.

Not trying to hijack the thread (sort of), but I'm sure these questions have popped through the mind of the threadstarter as well, and I bet there are many out there who could give us insight.

The reasons that classical guitar is so time consuming is the level of difficulty of much of the music, the new required techniques, and if you don't know how to read music, you'll probably have to learn to in order to competently play most pieces. I'm not saying its impossible to play classical without being able to read music, but its not very common as far as I know.

The reason I say all this is because I tried to take classical guitar classes here at the college I attend and I was blown away by how hard it was. Its different than just picking up an electric and teaching yourself Back in Black...it really takes a lot of time to get both of your hands to work together, especially when learning a new way to attack the strings.
Sir you have made a sale.

If you don't mind me asking, what classical guitar did you choose as a starter, or could you recommend better? I've been looking into anywhere from $250-400 range new or used.

I've got an ibanez acoustic that I do a lot of fingerpicking on, but it feels as though with the action and steel strings that it would be tough to use as a replacement for a classical. I can't find a decent way to play the intro to "disciples of hell" by yngwie either, lol.

Thanks
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jul 11, 2006,
learn classical because it's beautiful, and it'll lead into flamenco and many other fingerstyle guitars.

plus the ladies love it
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
And after many many years of mastering it, I can grow a mustache and move to mexico to become the guy who plays the dramatic trill licks when Juanita finds out Pedro cheated on her on Latino soap operas.

Random comment. But I could see it happening.
Lespaulrocks, I used a Manuel Rodriguez and it was an excellent beginning guitar. Thats really all I feel comfortable recommending, as thats the only kind I have ever used.
I started off classical and switched to electric. It really helps your fingerstyle.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
Yeah, learn classical. It improves your timing and the co-ordination of both hands.

Plus, it's good for showing off, which should always be a consideration
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Yeah, learn classical. It improves your timing and the co-ordination of both hands.

Plus, it's good for showing off, which should always be a consideration

not that but many techniques. plus it does help improve fingerpicking which is easy but i dont know why many people say its hard
Quote by metalmilitia74
now i know that classical guitars have wider necks then others, how hard is the transition from an electric or standard acoustic to a classical neck?

not hard at all.

Quote by Dreadnought
Classical is only for n00bs

Quote by Dreadnought
Classical is only for n00bs

^dont know if that was sarcasm or being serious

not to piss of a mod but i think classical is a great thing. alot of the greatest players in the world admit to taking classical lessons or knowing how to play classical because it does wonders for there playing abilities. maybe it does help noobs learn some techniques but i want to learn something new and ways to improve at what i already know.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
classical will give u some great ideas for metal soloing and riff writing
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Classical is very different than acoustic and electric. If you haven't finger picked before, it'll be like learning to play guitar again. But I think that the reward is well worth it, I love classical music.
Quote by metalmilitia74
^dont know if that was sarcasm or being serious

not to piss of a mod but i think classical is a great thing. alot of the greatest players in the world admit to taking classical lessons or knowing how to play classical because it does wonders for there playing abilities. maybe it does help noobs learn some techniques but i want to learn something new and ways to improve at what i already know.

Whatever man, I wouldn't think of playing classical guitar EVER.

I'd buy an electric guitar before I committed that act of heresy.
My God, it's full of stars!
Well, I'd say the discipline you need to be able to play classical is immense, you will have to be determined especially for the first 3 or 4 months, it gets way more fun after then. The biggest part for me was reading music and not tab. I still struggle with it, but I think taking classical for even one year will benefit your playing. Classical guitars not only have a wider neck, but the action is usually higher and fretting strings is a little tougher. It will help if you have somewhat profound callises on your fretting hand. After a few months of classical i found my true passion: Flamenco- This is possibly the hardest stuff but at the same time the most fun. I am talking about authentic flamenco-Paco, Vicente Amigo, Tomatito Get a teacher though, not a book.
Also, get a cheap guitar to start and then when your good enough, contact a luthier, you will get your money's worth.
so this IS something i should do?

thanks you guys for all your input. it really helped me to decide that i am going to start playing classical music too. it will probably be a while before i start learning because im about to join the navy and i want to have the time to devote to this. so i figure in about 5 months i will contact a teacher and start trying to learn it. i have always wanted too and you guys finally convinced me that it is something i should do.

so again to everyone who had great things to say about this genre of music, thank you. i really appreciate your input.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.