I'm looking for a guitar to get by the end of the year. I was looking at SG's. Theres mainley 3 that i've been looking at

- Gibson SG Faded, $700
- Gibson SG Special, $950
- Gibson SG Standard $1,300

Which is the best for the price? I like the standard, because I like the look of the trapezoid inlays, but im not going to spend $350 more just because of it.
I've got a faded special with a gloss finish on the neck (It broke in the store and was professionally repaired, so it was 100 bucks cheaper and in amazing condition) and soon to have an Iommi pup dropped in the bridge, which is about 80 bucks at my local guitar shop believe it or not. It's a beautiful guitar, the tuning keys are fantastic (The G string went out of tune a lot for a while, but I took it to the shop and they fixed that problem.)

So, all in all, I think the faded special is best for the price, and after about a week, it feels amazing. It's a great setup not just for the price, but for the fact that you can make it BETTER than a standard SG for a lot less cash.
I don't know exactly what SG I have been playing alot lately (not mine) but I think it's a SG ultimate or supreme... something like that I think.
well, Wow. 2nd best guitar I've played. Go for itt. Even if u have to save up alot of money.
The standard is alot lighter than the specials it also comes stock with better pickups.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
What about the classic? To me the classic (it has P90s, um, kickass) played and sounded a lot better. Cheaper as well.
Go with the Standard. Better bang for your buck. The Special is a good guitar, but not worth the money and the Faded is just ****ty. The Standard comes better stock and is a better all around guitar compared to the Special and Faded. If you wanna go ahead and get a Special and maybe swap out the pick-ups, that could help it a lot. As for the Faded, you could improve the tone with new pups, but the feel of it is just... horrid. I've played many Faded SGs and none of them were good. Pretty much every kid around here goes out and buys one just because it's a Gibson. Just a little hint-hint, if you ever plan on buying a Gibson either A) Try out every one you can get your hands on and/or B) DO NOT BUY THEM FROM THE GUITAR CENTER! Gibson gives their worst guitars to GC and gives their best to Mom-n-Pop places. So try any Mom-n-Pop places around your area and and small chain retailers in your area. It'll be worth it in the long run. You could try taking a gamble on Ebay. And another reccomendation, if you can, try out the Epiphone Elitist 1961 SG Standard Reissue or a Japanese Epiphone SG. Great guitars and you should be able to find both of them on Ebay.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
get a LTD viper...24 frets//EMGs..one of the best damn guitars i think
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
SG standard all the way. Anything below a standard just sucks. Even though it's the same wood, neck, hardware and pickups, for some strange reason it's crap. The finish is ugly too.

Standard.
well I have a faded and i can't seem to understand why everybody bashes them!
To me it feels great! I'm doubting about putting a new pickup in the bridge position, but it's not that bad, just not "heavy" enough imo.
Compared to your current guitar (Ibanez GSA60) the neck on a special or special faded will be very thick, you'll have to adapt to it a couple of days, but after that the sg feels so fcking good!

oh yeah, the finish on the faded is very thin, but I personally love it! At least you feel some wood in your hands instead of sticky nitrocellulose finish...
The one thing I do like about the Faded is the thin finish, which really helps the neck. If there was a finish on the neck, I'd be obliged to say that it is the worst Gibson out there. As for the LTD Viper, that's a great guitar, but it feels and sounds nothing like a Gibson SG Standard. It's a great guitar in its own right, though.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
^well what about the faded SG don't you like then?

people bash them without giving reasons!
The thing holds its tune fine, is fully made of mahogany and looks so sexy!
The neck pickup is the same as on an SG Standard, if you don't like the bridge humbucker, replace it for like $ 100 and there you have a guitar with an SG Standard sound and shape but without fancy frills like trapezoid inlays and a sticky nitrocellulose finish.

edit : apparently again, nobody can answer me what is bad about a special faded sg...
Last edited by JorisBlack at Jul 11, 2006,
Check out the '61 Reissue SG. Yes, it only comes in one color, however, it's only about 150-200 USD more than the Standard, has a smaller pickguard to show off that gorgeous mahogany, and classic '57 pickups, all nickel hardware, and your trapezoidal inlays.
If u really care about how much u want to spend then go with the faded, but if those trapezoid markers really catch your eye then i guess go with that
Quote by RevRock
Check out the '61 Reissue SG. Yes, it only comes in one color, however, it's only about 150-200 USD more than the Standard, has a smaller pickguard to show off that gorgeous mahogany, and classic '57 pickups, all nickel hardware, and your trapezoidal inlays.

Agreed. The '61 Reissue rapes the SG Standard anyday. And through a Marshall... Good God... It's amazing. As for why I don't like the SG Faded... I've stated my reasons. Here they are again:
1) The neck just feels horrid. The only thing it has going for it is the minimal finish.
2) The stock pups suck. For the $680 you spend on it, you should get good pups.
3) The over-all tone is horrible. It doesn't sound anything like an SG should.

The SG Faded is a rip-off. I'm glad I went with my beautiful Epi Les Paul Custom.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
^
1) the neck is thick, I admit, but get used to it (takes about a week).
of course if you're a shredder, then please go for the über thin Ibanez Wizard necks, if not you could get used to it easily
2) like I said, the neck pickup is the same as that on a SG Standard. the bridge humbucker could be replaced easily while still staying under the price for a standard
3) this has got to do with the bridge humbucker. if you don't think it's that, then you're making stuff up. wiring is most probably the same as on a standard, the woods are the same, the bridge is the same etc. etc.

and it is not a rip-off, it's a real Gibson (not Epiphone )
the reason it costs more is because it is made in the U.S.A.

It's a quality guitar and deserves more than bashing on dumb internet forums.

Yeah I said it.
Depending on your skill level, it's hard to say that the SG 61 RI will rape the SG Standard. I'm obviously not Derek Trucks so I can't even begin to exploit the awesomeness of my 61 RI ... however, the Standard is awesome. too, and for non-pros, will probably take a long time to fully exploit the capabilities. Also, you can negotiate the price of a Standard down to a little less than US$1100, even for the Heritage Cherry, which GC thinks is a premium for whatever reason.