so im getting one for like 25 bucks, and imma screw with it like crazy, scallop the frets, im assuming its swimmingpool routed so im goin to cut out spaces for 3 humbuckers in the pickguard (if the guitars space allows)

so im mainly thinking of painting or electronics ideas, ive never painted or done anything mods close to a luthier but ive done electronics

so suggest suggest suggest
ya i know, i would rather get a decent guitar and do a little less to it, even tho its modded to hell, ur friends will say what kind of guitar is it again, and do you really wanna tell them its a squier? neither would i
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
well, the thing is, im gunna mess with this lil bitch and see if im good at any of these things, im hopin to find a luthier around my place and become an apprentice or somethin, maybe just do it all myself

and i could care less that its a strat, my friends wont give a shit either, like it matters anyway
If i were u I'd just take it apart and use it for spare parts if u would ever need them
I applaud you.

So what if its Squier if you like it than fair do's.

Im fond of my Westfield LP Copy.

Anyway i suggest

3 Seymour Ducan pickups
A better trem (Ask around not something i usually bother with)
Paint it perhaps

Speaking of paint i love a white strat that has some paint missing e.g. John Frusciante i sa go for that.
thats a good idea, im thinkin either three humbuckers or a stacked single in the bridge, and whats a good stacked single for metal?
Buy a new neck for it. Maybe buy new pickups. Try to make the Squier sound like an American Strat.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
Buy a new neck for it. Maybe buy new pickups. Try to make the Squier sound like an American Strat.

IIII was thinking about doing that... upgrading every so often... is that a good idea??? keep going untill the only original thing left is the body? Is the body in squiers good?
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
haha thatd be badass, maybe some lace pickups, or david gilmour EMGs

im gunna scallop the neck it has on it for an experiment so a new neck is somewhat out of the question

any more suggestions? like for a paint job? no skulls flames or checkers please hahaha
Seems like a cool project to me and cant go wrong with a guitar for 25$
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
some spuiers are alder wood.
some are agathis.

alder is fine.
it might not be pool routed, but ull prob get a humbucker in the bridge.

get a new guard, tuners, bridge, strip the paint, stain it a cool color.

but only after u find out what the neck is like.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by purple_hazer
thats a good idea, im thinkin either three humbuckers or a stacked single in the bridge, and whats a good stacked single for metal?

Im not to sure.

www.codamusic.co.uk go to pickups , seymour duncan

Hope that helps

Also

Theres a site . . .harmony something ask around for it it has reviews of stuff etc.
well, cause sometimes $25 guitars have a broken neck, or an unplayable neck.
so before u pump money into the guitar u check the neck. if its fine then ur all set

virtual vintage stack singles from dimarzio are pretty hot.
but none of the stacked or railed mini buckers sound "as" full, as a full sized humbucker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by purple_hazer
haha thatd be badass, maybe some lace pickups, or david gilmour EMGs

im gunna scallop the neck it has on it for an experiment so a new neck is somewhat out of the question

any more suggestions? like for a paint job? no skulls flames or checkers please hahaha

lol your like me.. my idea is . buy a black hardtale bridge, black tuners and a all maple neck with black dots. and black body with clear pick gaurd. dont steal my idea. haha. Maybe 2 emg humbuckers. or duncan invaders with black covers for that emg look.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Just to add.

If you like it and it sounds good. Don't become a brand. People that say squier are for begginners etc you need to upgrade.

**** em

If you like it man stay with it you cant argue with tone.

Hope this opens eyes to some people.
dont have to worry about the neck, ive played the guitar and its actually pretty sweet, its an all black guitar, whit pickguard, you know, and i was thinkin, one of those multibuckers from dimarzio, looks like a good idea, wire it up to a 3 way switch for that pickup, and yer, and im not tryin to 'become a brand' (not quite sure what it means but w/e) im just gunna have an unexpected beast in my arsenal. ill be like wann hear my squier? 'other person' i guess so, 'me' CHUGGA CHUGGA SQEUALLLLLLLLL YER NIG, 'other person' ...... (their head explodes)
haha, yeah, im really high on my virt vintage heavy blues.

your amp is whats going to make it most killer.

good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Just replace the pickups, and mabye the neck if you can afford it.
Squiers are not bad, the bullets though...those suck.
It's just the amp that some of them come with is ****!
any other ideas anyone?

btw, only 1 out of 7 people who have looked in this thread care to reply?

:[
squiers are routed for a humbucker at the bridge, at the neck, and a single-coil in the mid.

well, at least mine is...

otherwise, if it has a decent neck, do everything you want to it. if it plays like a MIA, then its definately a great secret weapon.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Dude u know wut would be sick would be if you powder coated it black and then found a diamond plated pick guard. Diamond plated is that metal that you find on some offroad vehicles if you dont no what it is. no offense, but everybody that i talked to thinks it is actual diamonds on it.
hahah i know what it is, idk if i should make it menacing or an unexpected beast

whatcha think?
oshi and if i ended up have 3 4 conductor pickups, id have about 9 switches or so on the pickguard
modding a guitar sounds like fun to me i might do something like that in the future, my father was a carpenter so i am familiar with routers and drills and bits and stuff.

I really would like to have a guitar that had a single coils but was good for metal, i don't know enough to know if wood really affects tone so much, or if what i would want is mohagony but i always liked kurt cobains sound and did't he use a alder guitar?

Or maybe something that would be cool would be a triple single coil guitar that had six knobs tone and volume >P) And could play metal, that would be sweet.

And i think of now a certain guitar that jimmy page had that was single coil pretty sweet.
Quote by Andrewsonfire
IIII was thinking about doing that... upgrading every so often... is that a good idea??? keep going untill the only original thing left is the body? Is the body in squiers good?

Good question, that I've never really had a good answer to. I've seen many claims that they are plywood...so something like it, but also many claims that they are alder...but cheaper alder. Both may be true I guess.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by purple_hazer
so im getting one for like 25 bucks, and imma screw with it like crazy, scallop the frets, im assuming its swimmingpool routed so im goin to cut out spaces for 3 humbuckers in the pickguard (if the guitars space allows)

so im mainly thinking of painting or electronics ideas, ive never painted or done anything mods close to a luthier but ive done electronics

so suggest suggest suggest

I suggest that you throw the humbuckers in there (three if you can fit them), and maybe 2 full-size and one mini or single coil size humbucker if you can't.

Then wire it so that each humbucker can also function as an isolated single-coil pickup. This guy did it with an epi lp:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367319

Enjoy doing it.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
im plannin at least coil taps and parallel and one killswitch so thats 7 and maybe a phase reversal switch for everything
Something else you may consider is wiring one coil out of phase with one of the humbuckers. The result will be a tinny muted sound...frankly I like it.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Scallop the neck. Sand the back to make it your custom profile (asymetrical or not). Add a killswitch, wire it up with some good pickups (try GuitarFetish pickups, they are very bang for your buck and they rock, they even have a calibrated rails pickup set http://store.guitarfetish.com/singlecoil.html)

And your own contours to the body, if you can, make a few homeade effects (fuzz) and fit them in a cavity. Add switches to change the pups phase/series/parallel/splitting.

The posiblities are endless. Have fun. I'm actually thinking of picking up a cheap axe from a pawnshop and scalloping the neck and some of the stuff i listed above.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal