Yeah, there's probably gonna be a comment or two about the double meaning in that title but I couldn't think of a better rewording for it. Anyway, what wood is best used in a guitar's body for sound/sustain? On the fingerboard for playability? Is it a matter of just getting a high quality wood? I've heard bad stuff about agathis wood, but how are maple? That's probably the wood that'll be in the body for my next guitar, with a maple/rosewood combo on the neck...is that good? I'm just trying to make sure my next guitar is one that'll last me..
it seems to be standard for a maple/rosewood fretboard, and for body the forst two woods that pop in my mind are mahogany and alder, mahogany being bassier than alder, by alot it seems
My SG has mahogany(do they all?) and everytime i strum my first open D5 chord when i turn it on i cream my jeans
I'm planning on buying a guitar with a maple body... Will it sound like ass compared to say, alder?
Quote by wylde_overdrive
I'm planning on buying a guitar with a maple body... Will it sound like ass compared to say, alder?

no, just very bright. man could you imagine, maple neck, maple fret board, maple body, man that be one bright toned guitar!
Quote by lp_dude_2
no, just very bright. man could you imagine, maple neck, maple fret board, maple body, man that be one bright toned guitar!

Looks like Jesus has some competition.
The Carvin website has a pretty good breakdown of the wood and tones that come from them.

Maple
Alder
Swamp Ash
Walnut
Mahogany
Koa

The tops will effect tone too so if you get a alder body and maple cap it will sound different then solid alder.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I personally think swamp ash is the best wood going, but that's just me.
Hi, I'm Peter