Well I've been playing guitar off and on for about a year, I started off with just playing songs but I've started learning theory and doing excersizes along with songs. Anyway point is, I live with my friend who plays in a Melodic Death Metal band, we love the same types of music and I'm trying to get a nice melo-death sound out of my amp, but it's not working. My friend plays a Peavey 5150 halfstack and I LOVE the tone from it. He said it was probably one of the best sounding amps on the market for melo-death and I was wondering if this is true. Is the Peavey 5150 the best amp for Melodic Death? Or is something else better? I was looking into mesa and other brands too but the peavey is alot cheaper. I'm looking for tones like Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Arsis, bands along those lines.
I have a peavey 5150 2x12 and it's amazing for melodeath. You might want to look into genzbenz or MAYBE a mesa, you would have to spend a lot of time with the mesa to figure out if you like it. I love the mesa tone but it does sound well not as modern? The peavey should work perfectly, it's a great amp

!EDIT! Also the Mesa Recto's need to be CRANKED to get a nice metal tone and cranked=blood gushing out of my ears. So if you live somewhere and can't crank it then I probably would stay away, even with an attunator(sp?) it will still be REALLY loud, louder than the peavey will. Another thing, in case you don't know why, the reason is the mesa gets most it's power and gain from the power tubes while the preamp don't give it a lot of growl, you have to turn up the volume to push the tubes, while the peavey has a bunch of gain in the preamp tubes so you can get a nice high gain tone at lower volumes.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Last edited by CodySG at Jul 11, 2006,
ummm, well for your queston peavy 5150 or xxx would be a great choice for you also if you have no budget a marshall jcm 800 2210 is another option, mesa is a good choice too and doenst have to be cranked to get a good metal tone, i have mine at about 6 and its roaring, but mesa is more of a darker biased amp so youll have to play them for yourself
A mesa at 6 isn't loud to you?!?!?! Wait first of all what mesa is it? Second do you mean gain or volume?
It might not sound BAD at a low volume but it doesn't sound GREAT until it's been pushed to the point where home practice is very hard, while the peavey sounds great at lower volumes and great at loud pushed volumes. I love mesa but it really does have to be cranked to make it worth spending that much money on them.
Well me and two other friends rent a small house, but still I think a mesa at least if it is as loud as people say might be to much. Is there anything better than the peavey for melodeath or is it the best?
I would just stick with the peavey, I've even been really thinking on just upgrading my 2x12 to a halfstack instead of buying a different amp. They really are GREAT amps
I think you should check out a Mesa Single Rectifier and a Mesa Rect-o-Verb combo. A Peavey 6505 is also a great amp, although, it will have more volume and power than either of those Mesa's.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
No.

The mesa will blow away the peavey in volume, I've played a mesa single, dual, triple and all of them are REALLY loud amps. Don't let the wattage fool you mesa's are notoriously loud, plus almost for the price of the rect-o-verb you could get a peavey 5150 halfstack.
Quote by CodySG
No.

The mesa will blow away the peavey in volume, I've played a mesa single, dual, triple and all of them are REALLY loud amps. Don't let the wattage fool you mesa's are notoriously loud, plus almost for the price of the rect-o-verb you could get a peavey 5150 halfstack.

I've played both a Mesa Single Recto and a Peavey 6505, and the 6505 was deffinately louder. Because it's a darker sounding amp, it doesn't seem as loud at first, but it you turn the treble up and add some mids you really get an impression of how loud it is. And lets face it. The Single Recto is a 50w amp, and the 6505 is 100w. That's a pretty good indication right there. Also, I disagree that a Recto needs to be cranked to get a good metal tone. I think that Ibanez4LifeSZ! will agree with me when i say that Recto's sound great at all volumes (he owns one).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
First of all the 6505 is 120 watt, but the difference between a 50 watt and a 120 watt really isn't that much in terms of pure volume. The recto's DO need to be cranked to get a nice HIGH gain metal sound, I'm not talking hard rock I'm talking metal, and even Eric will say that the mesa sounds better cranked. The peavey on the other hand has a lot of preamp dist, giving it that balls out metal tone at lower volumes AND at crazy loud volumes, it's more consistent. The recto's give the low volume tone and then cranked it's a whole other story. The main point is this, the peavey 5150 head used costs about 650ish while the recto head used costs about 1200ish, unless you are going to be cranking that bitch every night till Sunday the recto is kind of silly to get and not be able to experience that amazing recto tone.
Yea, Thousand, I've been playing over a year now, just bought a new Ibanez (RG2EX2), and I got a job this summer to buy a Peavey 5150 Combo, they're probably the best hi-gain combo for that price range at $650 used. I was also looking into a Crate BV6212, it seems that the amp has reliability issues, so it's a no go...
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Sweet guys thanks for all the replies , Cody what you said helped me a lot, I know that the mesa goes from nothing to really really loud with no middle and the tone chances from low volume to metal volume. The peavey doesn't do this? it does seem like a 120 watt would be louder than a 50 watt...
Mesa's are REALLY loud amps, but the main thing is you have to crank them to get a nice metal tone out of them, while the peavey maintains it's tone throughout the volume spectrum, so if you need to play at a low volume you can and still have a nice all tube metal tone. Gigging or when you just want to go crazy you can crank it and it will still sound great and you won't need to mess with the eq's a lot because the volume really doesn't change the tone all that much.
i thought the recto sounded pretty good, even at low volumes...

anyway, the 5150 is a pretty good amp for melodic death metal...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love recto's but to me once you really get to crank one, the low volume just doesn't seem to work anymore, but to each his own, either way I think the Peavey would be better for Melo-Death.
Which one would be better the regular 5150 or 5150II? Does the 5150II have shared EQ's like the 5150?
Melodic deathmetal.....like bodom? rack setups are more popular with them imo.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
Not really like Bodom...more like the bands I listed in my first post. To add some more maybe The Red Death, Quo Vadis, Skyfire, In Flames.
Hmm....i'm only familiar with a few, in flames i know pretty well...if you feel the 5150 is your amp, i would say get one, except now they're 6150's.....and all that jazz. I don't know if the jsx is the same but with a better clean, i believe it's modified a bit, but it should share a majority of the tonal qualities with the 6150's, so that's also something to look into.

Herman Li from dragonforce uses a marshall jmp1 into an older, discontinued power amp. So i guess a marshall-type tone in some applications would work for you.
Cheers,
DK
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
I'm pretty sure that the 5150 II and 6505 + have seperate EQ's. Any of the 5150/6505 or 5150II/6505+ would be a great amp for the bands you listed. I know I can nail most of those tones on my 5150 no problem
Herman Li tone is like the opposite of what I'm looking for it istoo bright. Thanks for the info Cody, if the 5150 or 6505 can handle those tones than it is what im looking for!
No problem man , it really is a GREAT amp for all those tones. I think you will be a very happy when you snag one.
yeah, if you want the opposite of bright, the 5150/5150 II is a strong contender.

Unless you can afford like a diezel or bogner or something...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
arch enemy, inflames, and most of the other bands you listed have used 5150's at some point in there career. (in flames still do i believe).

anyway the thing is a beast. it pretty much gets THE charicterist melo-death tone.

about the volume thing, brad (genocide) owns a 5150, a powerball, and a single recto, and he says the recto is the loudest of them all, at 50 watts. the 5150 being 120, and the powerball being 100. it's not so much it pushes more decible volume, but the requency ranges that mesa are voiced in that make them percived really loud.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Perfect discription. Mesa's are just voiced really loud for some reason, I still love the tone though...
Quote by BlinkBlinkBlink
Hmm....i'm only familiar with a few, in flames i know pretty well...if you feel the 5150 is your amp, i would say get one, except now they're 6150's.....and all that jazz. I don't know if the jsx is the same but with a better clean, i believe it's modified a bit, but it should share a majority of the tonal qualities with the 6150's, so that's also something to look into.

Herman Li from dragonforce uses a marshall jmp1 into an older, discontinued power amp. So i guess a marshall-type tone in some applications would work for you.
Cheers,
DK

eh...

6150?

at least use google if you dont think you know what your talking about

5150 is excellent

though i think im going with xxx just because i want a brighter tone that the 5150
Do you think the 5150 II and 6505+ are worth the little bit extra for the seperate eq knobs?
depends if shared eq's really bother you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Well it kind of does. I mean I know the clean isn't going to be great but I would like to EQ it to make it the best I could get it, and if it's shared with the lead that might be hard to do....
Screw cleans!!!! If they are that important though go with a II/+, either way you should be happy with the metal tone