I need some advice on which set up to get:

1. A Carvin bass amp (nice and rugged--not sure which one yet) with a Zoom b2.1u effects processor, or

2. The new Line 6 LowDown 300 bass amp with an FBV shortboard.

Both seem to be pretty good for what I need--a small combo amp setup with effects. The Carvin is more rugged an amp, but all the effects will be outboard. The Line 6 has a bunch of effects and amp modelers built in, but the chassis is chipboard, making it somewhat fragile.

I'm trying to keep it below $800 for the whole thing, if possible. Thanks in advance for your input. If you have other suggestions for a rig, please let me know. I am looking for a small but powerful bass amp with an effects processor (onboard or outboard) that can do octave, delay with volume pedal, chorus and fuzz effects, as well as amp modeling. Quick changes between effects is a must.
i never liked built in effects, id go with the carvin
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Well, for starters...why such a low budget for a man who spends $500 on pickups?! lol

But, chipboard is bollocks, so i would steer clear of the Line 6. Go for the Carvin and buy a Bass Pod XT with flooboard controller for your effects..

Never been a fan of Zoom equipment..
Below 800? Used Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II or 1001RB-II (Keep an eye out on eBay, sometimes there are amazing deals).

You can get either used Gallien-Krueger SBX cabs (GREAT), Avatar Neo cabs (I've heard great things), or Gallien-Krueger BLX cabs (Very good for the affordable price).

It's not a combo, but it's got the tone to die for. The warmth of GKs will respondly nicely with the Dark Stars, which would shine with a tube amp (It'd be hard to find a good one for 800).

You can probably try it out in a store too.
haha
^ you do know GK makes higher end combos, too, right? lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^ Yea. My 400RB/115 combo is superb and I got it for 300 bucks on ebay, in new condition, down form 749.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I use a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live (which is fantastic). If I were ever to take up music professionally and get transport, one idea would be to get a good power amp (500W or so), and some cabs, and use the Bass Pod as the pre-amp.

I mean I do that during gigs anyways when I borrow someone's backline, and just bypass the pre-amp via the effects loop.
Quote by UtBDan
^ you do know GK makes higher end combos, too, right? lol

Yeah, but they're hard to find, and if you find one on ebay it might not be exactly what you want. And I don't think they make the 1001 in the combo form, just the 700.

But I could be wrong.
haha
^ They even make a 1001/Neo 212 combo now. Plus, you have the 400RB/115 and the 210, the 700 115 and 210, the 1001 115 and 210. They may also have 700 in a Neo combo. Musicians Friend carries everything except possibly the neo's. They aren't all that hard to find online.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Thanks for the input. GK sounds like a good amp, but it's not a combo, so I will have to pass on it.

The other factor is the compactness of the amp. I don't want to haul a lot of cabinets everywhere, and I like to be able to bring in a small combo amp, have the guitarist and drummer point and laugh at it, then have the ability to BLOW THEM AWAY with it.

That's pure satisfaction.

In one of my previous bands (when I played drums), I remember the guitarist having a huge and heavy cabinet with 8 speakers and the bassist having a small combo amp. The guitarist's gear actually consisted of a bass cabinet with a few blown speakers--he got it used and cheap. The bassist did some research and found an affordable combo amp made by Yamaha. The guitarist was quite loud, but the bassist was even louder.

During one jam session, a guitarist brought over one of those itty-bitty GK guitar amps--the one that is about the size of a mailbox. All the other guys pointed and laughed at the "toy" but when he turned it on, the sound of his guitar filled the entire room. I was playing drums at the time, so all I could do was just be amazed at the loudness of that tiny little amp.

I wish I could do that with a Pignose amp--hotwire it and plop in an efficient speaker. To the uninitiated, it would look like a regular pignose amp, but when I turn it on, it woul fill the room with BASS. Impossible though--it's too small to efficiently produce the low frequencies. It's too bad that electric bass amplification has to have larger geometries in general than a guitar amp of the same calibre--it's because bass frequencies require more power to push the speaker cones back and forth with any efficiency and clarity.

Quote by crazypeanutman