Just look at the title. I've narrowed my next bass down to these two. Any help, comments, or anything in general would be nice. Thanks in advance
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Um... one is a five string one is a six string.

Do you want.. a five string... or a six string?

If you want a sixer I also recommend trying out the SR506.
haha
it doesn't particularly matter to me. 5 or 6 is fine. im starting to lean towards the spector, but i know almost nothing about how it plays, sounds or anything. I've played the ibanez 2, maybe 3 times. I'm just not sure. Thanks, steve.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Ibanez ...

mainly because i've never tried a spector.
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep the replies coming, guys!
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

I would go with the Ibanez, i just got a SRX505 and it is one of the best sounding basses i have played.
I would never make a decision on buying a bass before playing it. (amps are another story )

As much as people would think i'd say "Go out, get a SR505 NOW, and thank me in about 3 hours. yeah 3, because altho it only takes 1 to go out and buy it, you'll be speechless for the other 2" , i still have to say Spector's get great reviews from shops and from UG'ers, and i sure as hell cant badmouth a bass i havnt tried out.
I just dug this out of the UG archives...
Quote by canadianpunk071

06-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I did the same comparison when I was looking at a new bass. I went with the SR-505, for the following reasons:

1) Electronics: The SR-505 has Bartolini pickups, and the Bartolini MK 1 3-band EQ, as opposed to the SRX's Ibanez pickups, with a 2-band Ibanez EQ. The Bartolini electronics are much better sounding, and much more versatile, in my opinion. The SRX's electronics are great, don't get me wrong, but the EQ only provides variations on a single theme: REALLY FREAKING LOUD. The SR's electronics allow it to go from Stingray, to Warwick, to Fender Jazz, with minimal tweaking.

2) Wood:

-SR: Mahogany body. 5-piece Wenge/Bubinga neck. This combination helps give the SR-505 very deep, clear lows, and bell-like highs, which blossom really nicely, in my opinion. And, of course, mahogany, wenge, and bubinga, are the 3 most badass woods found in basses, in my opinion. The look these woods help the SR-505 achieve is just stunning.

-SRX: Basswood body with a flame maple top, and a maple neck. Nice woods, but the combination of maple and basswood, in my experience, is a bad thing, because the warmness of the basswood tends to be cancelled out by the highs of the maple. An upside, though, is that these woods are lighter than those in the SR-505, keeping the weight below that of the SR.

3) Design/Build Quality: Playing the SRX after the SR, I noticed that the build quality of the SRX was slightly poorer than that of the SR. I might have played a lemon, but who knows. Either way, I found that the frets were not dressed as well as those on the SR.
Design-wise, the SR is superior in every way, again only in my opinion. The SR has a hand-carved body with very smooth, rounded edges, whereas the SRX has a CNC-made body with slab sides, like a Fender.

4) Overall Feel: Hands down, the SR-505 takes it. The oiled wenge/bubinga neck is the smoothest, most comfortable neck I've ever played. Only Stingray necks can match the level of comfort the SR-505 has. The SRX's neck has a wider neck, with 19mm string spacing (as opposed to the SR's 16.5mm spacing), which you might actually prefer (same spacing as most 4-strings, which most consider better for slapping...although I personally prefer 16.5mm spacing). The neck on the SRX is comfortable as well, but the finish on it is stickier, which can be a drag (literally lol).

But, in the end, it comes down to your personal preference, so try both basses out. You might find you like the sound and feel of the SRX better than the SR. But, I didn't, and I hoped the reasons I listed for my choice help you out.

Quote by mountaindew88

06-17-2005, 09:56 AM
That post helped a ton!! I thought hard about everything you said, and it's all pretty true! I think I will go with the SR505. Having compared it to just about every 5-string out there, it seems to be the absolute best in it's price range, with the 5 piece African hardwood neck.

Thanks again, and BTW Battlefield 1942 is the best damn LAN party on the face of the earth!

Quote by mangablade

06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
i love that game i played the beta or multiplayer demo or something i think. anyway, i was looking at all the specs of the bass, and WOW!!! i really feel like getting the 4 string version now! i went on the ibanez site, looked at the specs, but i couldnt find the price, do you know wat it is? pref CDN, but im ok with US$

Quote by canadianpunk071

06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I paid about $750 CDN for my SR-505.

And yes, BF 1942 owns, especially at LAN parties

Pre-ordered BF 2 lol...should be awesome.

Quote by mountaindew88

06-17-2005, 09:16 PM
My friend owns the four-string version of this bass. He really likes it, and then I told him that the neck has bubinga in it and he flipped out. He's always wanted an axe with that wood just so he could say it was made out of, "Bubinga". He loves that word for some reason.

Quote by mangablade

06-17-2005, 10:26 PM
to be honest with you, i played a stingray today at my local music shop. i wasnt that impressed. but judging from all these great comments and the specs that are giving me a musical erection, i think i'd rather the SR 505 over a stingray.

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of purchasing the Ibanez SR506... until i learned how backed up the orders were. I went to GC to order it, and they had 2 Ibanez SR505s. I fell in love with it right there. One of the basses was about 5 pounds lighter than the other so i took it. It is the lightest bass i own. It is even lighter than my squier (icky icky bass). The sound is amazing and it stays in tune. The only problem ive had with it is that when i pop, i scratch the wood with my finger nails. I have been forced to cut them very very very short. Every time i play i need to make sure that i wont scratch the wood. Other than that, it is my favorite bass at the moment. The looks are awsome too.

EDIT: **** i just realized how late i posted this message.... i was searching the forums for stuff on it and this came up... sorry

Quote by zeldar

07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
wow, i am going through this dillema right now too. i've decided to go with the sr505, because of the mids control and the smooth neck, better pickups too. I really really love the spacing on the srx though.

Quote by LedZeppelin4LiF

07-22-2005, 09:05 PM
nether its all about the Ibanez Destroyer if uve ever heard of it (80s)

Quote by Bassman86

07-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Sr. SRXs are effing ugly.

Quote by ai4281

07-23-2005, 03:13 PM
hey ppl, should I buy Ibanez BTB405QM or SR505??

Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

07-23-2005, 04:15 PM
it depends... BTBs tend to have a bad treble sound and sound terrible slapped. It is harder to slap on a SR505 though because of the tight string spacing... for me i like the closer strings for slapping but thats just preference... At GC they had a BTB405 and 2 SR505s... the two 505s sold befor the one BTB... the price was lowered to $350 on the BTB just to sell it... IMO the 505 looks better also... and BTBs have that annoying jack for the cable... the cable lock or something... i found that annoying...

so, i would say go with the SR505... you won't regret it

EDIT: Originally posted by zeldar
wow, i am going through this dillema right now too. i've decided to go with the sr505, because of the mids control and the smooth neck, better pickups too. I really really love the spacing on the srx though.
i have something to say about the spacing on the SR505... to me, the only problem someone will have with spacing on the 505 is if they just started slap and are having problems muting the B and E strings. The SRX's spacing seems the same as every other 5 string bass. The neck is much slower. I am going to say again, i really suggest the SR505 not the SRX

good luck to everyone buying their new happy Ibanez's
cheers!

Damn thats an old thread... the date was June of '05

EDIT: I guess I forgot to say that I prefer Ibanez SRs over SRX's and the Spector Legends.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I myself prefer the SR's. I love the feel of them.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
HAHA man i loved BF1942

oh and SR's

And i still mean what i say to this day about the stingray...

Althought it might have been the few that i have tried, let it be known that it WAS in fact a FEW, not just one, and they were all just "meh" to me. certainly nice, but not worth the 1200+ CDN tag.
I love how Canadianpunk said "I just preordered Battlefield 2!!" and its been out for more than a year now... that was an awsome thread... right before the SR505 club was started.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
WOW im even in that... holy sweetTarts! how long have i been gone...

o yeah it was like 2 days a week ago when that tavern controversy came up LOL. hey inky, im not sure if you're allowed to say (or even know), but do the bans you've been unbanned from count against you or no? i'd imagine since i think i was VERY rightfully unbanned it wouldnt ... but really i just want to be safe...

well actually REALLY i just want a 100$ sandwich and better bass skills... but oh well
i got a question on both for anyone who has tryed them or has them, which one is better for slapping and how is the spector for slapping if you havnt tried the ibanez
I haven't played the Ibanez before, but I own a Spector Q5 (which is basically the same bass as the Legend 5). It's a great bass for rock/metal music, as gives a nice, growly sound.

I'm not sure what kind of music you're interested in playing. Ibanez's are generally considered to be much more versatile, so if you'll be switching around a lot, go with the Ibanez. If you want to play rock music exclusively (or if your other basses would work well in other music styles anyway), go with the Spector.