Are there any good single coils for metal, classic rock? Reason y is because i will be purchasing this http://store.guitarfetish.com/bl3supiwikit.html. i really dont want to cut the pickguard to put a hum in it unless i have to. so if there are no good single's for metal, could someone post where i could get a template for the cutting? O and are guitarfetish's GFS pickups any good for metal, classic rock, etc...
I use my American Strat and alot of people have complimented my "beefy tone"...

So yeah.
Well, you always can get your guitar equipped with Hot Rails (or similar) pickup...I have Seymour Duncan SSL-3 singlecoils in mine and they work fine for metal playing.
Try the Seymour Duncan website, you can actually get a humbucker made to fit the same as a single coil
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
The American strat has a great overall tone. It's quite beefy and I find it good for rhythm, but it doesn't have very high output. I had to turn the gain to about 7 to get a Sum 41 sort of sound, so you need a LOT more for metal.

Check out EMG SA's, Seymour Duncan Hot Singles (if you'll excuse the term) and Bare Knuckle Sinners (if you can get them)
you should get a hot rails by Duncan, they can handle metal easily
"Don't play what's there; play what's NOT there" - Miles Davis
SD has the pups lamb of god use..they have HSS guitars

there pretty damn metal
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
ok how about 1 SSL-Hot in the neck, 1 SSL-Hot in the Middle, and a SJBJ-ljb Jr.(single sized hum) in the bridge?
i dont like the JB much...to low output

try an invader in the bridge?

or mabey two EMG SA and an 81/85 in the bridge?..that would kickass
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
if you want active, 81/85 in the bridge & SA's is a good one.

Or if you want three single coils 3 SA's is good.

Or if you want passives, DiMarzios ftw
haha
The GFS pickups are very good pickups. Regardless price. Figure $$ into the mix and they're a best buy. I use my strat for metal when I'm looking for a brighter sound. If you set your amp up right, tweak your EQ, you can get great tones, I find the middle pickup is great for solos.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Sorry to hijack this thread but will p90s do any metal? What are they mainly used for..?
Recordings of me and my band in my profile
Quote by MetalMilitia212
why are you getting a strat if you want to play metal and classic rock?

Because they are good for classic rock and metal....
the Hotrails sucks hard. They don't even come close to a humbucker. All single coil sized humbuckers suck hard.

You can get a much better metal tone out of a normal single coil. The single coil sized ones are thin and tinny and have no tone.
Quote by Jackolas
Because they are good for classic rock and metal....

A strat? You are most definitley on crack.
Dickless.
metal: bareknuckle sinner, uber-trilogies, various duncan and dimarzio humbucking single coils

Classic rock: most single coils would do classic rock pretty well...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bossman123
Try the Seymour Duncan website, you can actually get a humbucker made to fit the same as a single coil

Yup. Stacked humbuckers. That sounds like the solution, and it's not just Seymour Duncan that make them either - most companies do.
I saw a video of adrian smith from Iron Maiden playing on a stock squier tele. So yes, you can play metal with single coils.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Metalmilitia212 im not buying a strat, ive already got one and im rebuilding it
Kirk Hammett used a strat type on early recording too, Kramer?

If you don't think you can play metal with a strat you aren't very open minded.
I haven't played those pickups but I have a set of GFS singles in my strat and they sound great, regardless price.

Another metal guy with singles, Jake E. Lee.
dude EMG do single coils
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by Mudder
Kirk Hammett used a strat type on early recording too, Kramer?

If you don't think you can play metal with a strat you aren't very open minded.

Exactly.

Kirk has used a black strat around the 86 time live also.
So what about p90's how are those? Would i be better off replacing them with the p90 sized humbuckers for metal and hardrock??
Recordings of me and my band in my profile
If you have a metal amp, you should be able to get a metal tone with any guitar.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
They come in sets of three according to the site. You get a 6k, 10k and 15k
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer