so ive been playing a les paul for about a 6 months now, and its badass, but today at practice i started playing my friends strat for the first time in forever, cus i used to have one. and i couldnt believe how light it was. you could jump around and swing it and stuff like nothing. do you think it really makes a difference, or is it just something you have to get used to?
i've had a les paul for just abit longer than you, and i did the same with my mates strat the other day.

and... yeah its much easier to throw it around simply cos its so much lighter. i prefer the strat feel as i think that i can move more with it than i can with an LP, which is why my next guitar is a strat.

as for getting used to it... hmmm, i dunno. i wouldn't dare throw the LP around as much because it feels that it'll likely break or plumet to the floor cos it weights so much.
ya, it sucks, my straps are always falling off cus its so damn heavy. and dont get me started on the prices of strap locks these days.
Strap locks aren't THAT expensive. In fact, I got mine for half the price, cos the supplier bought them in 'bulk' and sold them without packages.

Trust me, it's worth your 20 dollars if your strap keeps falling off.
strap locks are like ten bucks.
and yea i was playing a les paul supreme, i hated the fact i couldnt lift it. ok i could lift it but it felt like a chore. i use a mm1 OLP wich is a solid beginer guitar. its a bit base heavy nothing like a les paul though but after playing that playing a strat is like love. i want a strat knockoff for cheap just for the difference. in feel.
when i play my old strat, its like i can control the whole thing and hold it up with my left hand alone, with the les paul its dragging down on my shoulders and stuff a lot. its really pissing me off. and when you do a bigass jump off something it flys up and stuff lol. any techniques to make it easier? cus lots of bands seem to be able to still go crazy with les pauls.
I have a strat and a while back my friend made me go to our local guitar shop and test out a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. It was an absolute beast to play. My right forearm was killing me because there is no cuttaway and the neck was thick and painted, unlike my fender. He ended up getting it though because he said he liked "The shiny square things on the thing you put your fingers on".
Once you get used to playing an LP, they're not that hard to handle. Want the ultimate example of rocking out with an LP? Look no further than Saosin. I can't find the GIF of it, but Beau Burchell swung his LP around 4 times in succession. No joke. I can rock out on my LP with no problem. Just have to get used to it first.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
I love the heavy feel of an LP, gives it momentum for spinning it. Just make sure you don't catch yourself mid swing. Knocks you stone cold.
Dickless.
Quote by Ambulance X
Once you get used to playing an LP, they're not that hard to handle. Want the ultimate example of rocking out with an LP? Look no further than Saosin. I can't find the GIF of it, but Beau Burchell swung his LP around 4 times in succession. No joke. I can rock out on my LP with no problem. Just have to get used to it first.

There is a picture of that on wikipedia. It is under the section about on-stage guitar tricks. It looks sooo sweet when he does that.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
A LesPaul is not that heavy

second thing to the guy who said, "is there a special trick to it"or whatever, If you look at zack wylde's huge arms, thats self explanitory right there.
Quote by Eladamri
I don't have any problems with rocking the crap out of a LP. Get to the gym once in a while guys!

You're absolutely right.
I have a bigger "build" than most guys.
And I can handle LP's Dean ML's Explorers no problem
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
u wanna really rock out get a nice ibanez with a FL u can throw that little mother around wont go out of tune and its light, especially the S model
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Les Pauls aren't that heavy. What bothers me about them is playing them feels like playing a box because the body isn't contoured at all.
i can rock out fine with mine
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Les Pauls aren't that heavy. What bothers me about them is playing them feels like playing a box because the body isn't contoured at all.

Yeah they're not very comfortable to play sitting down. But the weight doesn't bother me either. I don't really rock out by throwing it around though... i can think of better things to do with a guitar that cost me a month's income
Quote by LKW
Yeah they're not very comfortable to play sitting down. But the weight doesn't bother me either.:p I don't really rock out by throwing it around though... i can think of better things to do with a guitar that cost me a month's income :

Haha thats exactly what I was thinking. Why would you want to throw it around, I dunno about you guys but whenever i see a guitarist spinning his guitar (malmsteen im looking at you) it just looks childish and dumb. The best way to play guitar is with feeling, you can run around to a point but after a while it gets kinda old. Slash is a good example or this, he knows when to run around and when to just feel out the music.
^ I agree with the guy above me best statement in the whole thread.

ok and to let you know its easy to rock out on a LP you just gotta not be a Bitch
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join