Can someone explain all or some of the following for me, please?

WOOD TYPES (Cons / Pros)
Nut sizes / etc;
Fret sizes (numbers)
Active / Passive pickups
Hot / Cold pickups
Pros / Cons of SC pickups and Humbuckers.
Whammy Bar types and pros/cons
Tuning keys types and pros/cons
Can someone explain all or some of the following for me, please?

WOOD TYPES (Cons / Pros) some give you better tone like maple
Nut sizes / etc;
Fret sizes (numbers) 24 all the way,, more reach
Active / Passive pickups>actives use batteries, and they give you more output
Hot / Cold pickups
Pros / Cons of SC pickups and Humbuckers.
Whammy Bar types and pros/cons<lots of types most common one is LIcensed Floyd
Tuning keys types and pros/cons<Grovers. sperzls lots of types man
WOOD TYPES:
Different wood offes different tone. For example, Mahogany provides more low end, but Alder or Ash is bright sounding. Basswood is more balanced and is somewhere in between.

Nut Sizes:
Some people like wider necks with wider nuts. Personal Preference.

Fret Sizes:
Some people like big, and some like small frets. Another personal preferencs.

Active pickups:
These need their own power supply (usually a 9v battery) and provide much stronger output.

Hot/Cold pickups:
A high output pickup is described as 'hot'. High output means the pickup is louder, more sensetive and causes overdrive more easily.

Pros/cons of Single Coils and Humbuckers:

Single coils:
Usually have a great clear, clean tone. They are very responsive and dynamic, but don't always have that much output.

Humbuckers:
Have 2 coils to cancel out the hum you get from single coils. These tend to have more output, but can sound muddy sometimes.

Whammy bars: Floyd Rose
-You can pull it up or down and it should stay in tune

-If you try a different tuning, or use a different set of strings, then it goes out of tune.
-It's a real bitch to set up and replace strings

Of course, those are very brief explanations, but I tried to give a vague idea.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 11, 2006,
Active Pickups: have a preamp in the pickup itself

Pros/ Cons of SC and Hums: SC- pros = generally better at the cleans. cons = can hum and also not that good for heavier stuff

hums: -Pros = can handle dirtier stuff
-cos = ummm cant think of one.
^I'd say the cons of humbuckers pretty much is just the absence of the "vintage" feel... It's not something you can explain to someone who's not experienced in using single coils and humbuckers, I feel...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
On the subject of wood, can anyone tell me what pattern i should look for in a guitar made of beach wood?
beach wood? lol, the sustain must be like..2 seconds long and it dents every time you lift the guitar to put it on your lap.
Beach? I hope you meant Beech. I've never seen a beech guitar before. The local hardware store sells beech, but only enough to make a fretboard. It looks ugly, IMO, and sounds bad, so it's useless.
oh right, well i have a "Vintage" acoustic, they make low end instruments that usually retail for around £100 - 150. Anyway i really want to know what its made out of, it sounds nice and all, not bad for cheap guitar me thinks. Iv searched on the net but can only find recent models.
Guitar companies are often afraid to admit if their guitars are made of crap wood. Vintage are one of them. I saw a product description of one today. While all the others say "eastern poplar", "mahogany" and "canadian hard maple", one guitar apparently had a body made of "solid wood".

At least its solid. Squier Bullets are made of plywood.