Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

Well i bought this acoustic guitar of another guy, im not sure wether its high end or anything, it says "Vintage" on the headstock but iv seen and heard him play it and it seemed to good to pass up for a measly £50 , but he was a lefty so consequently he had the nut filed down and different grooves cut. So now i need a new nut but i dont want to take it to a shop because they charge rediculous prices, my local shop wants to charge me £66 for fitting a new nut (b*stards!).

So i can order a new nut off the net and have it delivered from here:

http://www.guitargear.co.uk/home/

But how do i get the old nut off? Iv never com,e across this problem before, is it glued on with some extream adheasive or something? that seems the most likely, and if it is, how the hell do i get it off?
take a flame thrower and torch the guitar. the adhesive will melt. only problem is the guitar will have melted as well.
take a hammer and something as wide as the nut and hard preferably wood and just tap it out. note you could do with chisel but could also damage the area around the nut
Quote by azn_guitarist25
take a hammer and something as wide as the nut and hard preferably wood and just tap it out. note you could do with chisel but could also damage the area around the nut

That sounds like a plan, are you sure thats the safest way to do it? Is that what they do in shops?

Also what adhesive should i use? I assume superglue?
I got a small screwdriver and a hammer, and lightly tapped it out.

Then I put two small dabs of glue on the new nut, and slotted it in there after filing it down so it fit properly.
Quote by Dayn
I got a small screwdriver and a hammer, and lightly tapped it out.

Then I put two small dabs of glue on the new nut, and slotted it in there after filing it down so it fit properly.

the problem with that is that you could actually split the nut in half chances are it wont but it could still happen. also use a wooden mallet rather then a hammer. and yeh try to make your gluing surface flat but still rough so that the glue can have something to stick to
usually its not really strong glue at all, since it's a part that's sometimes replaced. Just tap it out from the side, and hopefully the nuts from that site already have the string slots, filing a blank sucks. Try going to guitar shops and ask them if they have spare little parts and you might find a nut you can use for very little money. I'm left handed so i've looked up a lot of info on replacing nuts. haha... nuts.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
the problem with that is that you could actually split the nut in half chances are it wont but it could still happen. also use a wooden mallet rather then a hammer. and yeh try to make your gluing surface flat but still rough so that the glue can have something to stick to

Ooh yeah. Tell me about it. Lucky I bought two that time. And for the love of god, make sure what you're using to chisel it out isn't bigger than the groove - nearly split part of my cheapo guitar.

Use only two dabs of superglue - use it sparingly, 'cause you'll wanna get it out again undoubtedly later.
Quote by Dayn
Ooh yeah. Tell me about it. Lucky I bought two that time. And for the love of god, make sure what you're using to chisel it out isn't bigger than the groove - nearly split part of my cheapo guitar.

Use only two dabs of superglue - use it sparingly, 'cause you'll wanna get it out again undoubtedly later.

Wait wtf? you mean you nearly split the NEW nut whilst cutting the grooves with a chisel? or you nearly split your guitar i half while taking the old one out? I wouldnt use a chisel id just use a serrated knife to cut the grooves
The only strong stuff i got lying around is Poly Cement, i used it to glue plastic and metal models together when i was a kid. Do you think that will do? Im not sure its as strong as superglue
Quote by Gabel
Well is it just me or can the title be very funny...

Haha yea the title is a bit funny

O, and I guess happy birthday Phil, since your birthday countdown is over.
spam: oh well what should my next countdown be of. also ts what happened to your avatar

on topic: so yeh try out the method i suggested and try not to damage most of the area around the nut cos it could weaken the headstock joint and you headstock *gasp* could fall off
just to add two things.

first, score the edge of the nut with a sharp knife first.
if there is any paint that laps over onto the nut this will help u get started without ripping off lacquer or paint.

secondly, u can warm the area wt a hair drier first, warm up the glue for an easier tap out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
just to add two things.

first, score the edge of the nut with a sharp knife first.
if there is any paint that laps over onto the nut this will help u get started without ripping off lacquer or paint.

secondly, u can warm the area wt a hair drier first, warm up the glue for an easier tap out.

the second idea is a good idea cos you can do that then just start tapping it lightly to break the bond between the wood and plastic
Laf, so the first idea isnt a good idea.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

no cos you could scratch your guitar while doing that. plus it would seem a little harder on thinner nuts
what does he mean by scoring the nut with a knife? you mean while removing the old one?? im so confused

:stickpoke:
yeah she means, u score (or cut around the old nut) in an attempt to loosen it and separate it from the guitar.

sometimes paint and clear coat, overlaps from the neck onto the nut, and tapping it out without cutting along the outter line of the nut first, will cause u to chip paint.

and sorry ur not better wt a knife, phil.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah she means, u score (or cut around the old nut) in an attempt to loosen it and separate it from the guitar.

sometimes paint and clear coat, overlaps from the neck onto the nut, and tapping it out without cutting along the outter line of the nut first, will cause u to chip paint.

and sorry ur not better wt a knife, phil.

hey just cos im not a psycho chick that cant handle relationships.

i was only joking. now i feel sad but please dont stab me
Ok just to update you guys i managed to get the nut off without much damage, it was inlayed so i had to knock it abit but its all good.

The real problem know is cutting a new one. Thats right the one i ordered is not pre cut, man that was a bad choice

Iv read some sites on how to do it but theyre not very helpful. Does anyone know what house hold items would be suitable for cutting the grroves? At the moment im banking towards a serrated kitchen knife
you should pickup up nut filers (yes theyre actually called that) from a guitar specialty shop for the gauges your installing.
My local music shop doesnt sell those, plus iv already spent a hell of alot of money getting the new nut along with the guitar and strings and all that stuff. Funds are low im afraid, cant you tell me what i could use instead?
i would say a knife to shape it and get some wet/dry sandpaper to smooth it and then lube it with some nut sauce. beware though dont go too far into the nut or else you stuff your action on the lower frets
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Wait wtf? you mean you nearly split the NEW nut whilst cutting the grooves with a chisel? or you nearly split your guitar i half while taking the old one out? I wouldnt use a chisel id just use a serrated knife to cut the grooves

Grooves? My nut was precut - I filed the bottom down so it sat better in the groove in the neck where the nut sits. I nearly split a bit off of my guitar (a very small piece just behind where the nut would be) when lightly tapping the new nut in. I used a screwdriver.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Hey im Jerry Seinfeld

*slap bass*

And im Cosmo Kramer!

*Kramer apparence, studio audince laug*

Damn i lvoe that show!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Noooo don't just hit the guitar with a hammer and screwdriver or w/e
first you want to take a small knife and try to score some of the finish and glue on the bottom and sides of the slot or you might chip some wood

THEN you can knock it out gently

Thats what I did anyways o.O worked out fine

Just make sure you get out all the dried excess glue from the slot before you try to fit your new one in.

EDIT: Damn, didn't see that you already removed it o.O
Last edited by Metalcore_slave at Jul 12, 2006,
hey Metalcore_slave isnt that a copy of Wahappens avatar? Anyway who cares i hate Wahappen.

Any tips on fitting and cutting the new nut?
Nope

It's the same character from Nightmare Before Christmas, Jack

but it's a diffrent avatar

However, some cracka' stole mineee

Grrrr

but you're going to have to get some files for your nut

stewmac has them www.stewmac.com
Another person above suggested special nut files, but im afraid thats out of the question. My local music store doesnt sell them, plus im low on funds and cant spend anymore with out getting into deficit

I was thinking more along the lines of knives or something, any suggestions?
ok take the nut u just got out and compare it to the new one side by side.

if u need to sand down the back or bottom of the nut to get it to fit in the slot. all u have to do is tape a pc of sandpaper to a table, pencil line across the nut about as thin as ur going to want it.
and run the nut a few times over the paper until its just snug enough to fit into the guitar.

then u cut the groves. and by the way, never buy a blank, (unless uve got the tools)always but a precut.
anyway, to cut the goves, again line up the nut in the guitar as it will sit. run the strings over the blank nut and draw a pencil line for each string.

to shave the groves, u need to make sure u cut in an upward angle lower on the headstock side higher as the string passes up to the fretboard side. / that angle.

a small notch with a sharp object then file the grove with a toothpick wrapped in sandpaper.

and if u go too far ur screwed so order a precut nut.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/NewNut/newnut3.html
there's 3 pages, so go to bottom and scan all three. good luck.

*oh and i would have said to use the old nut to get an idea about the spacing but i thought u said there was a problem wt the old spacing.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 12, 2006,
that site is good, but they already have the right tools, which cost a lotta money

the set of files cost about 45-60 from what ive looked up.

the serrated knife might be good for starting the grooves and then some thin sand paper contraption like the toothpick thing to get them to fit the strings

and filing the nut while its on the guitar seems like a good idea, just be careful not to bang up the headstock too much. Also that way, you can get a feel for the action of the strings right away.
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
ok, how about this:-
To do this you can use an old set of strings (the same gauge you are putting back on your guitar) to cut the slots. Take the old string and hold it tight between both hands and use the string as a saw blade. The windings on the string will do the cutting. It will be slow but you don't want to cut too fast anyway. After you have started the slot (not cut to deep) you need to restring your guitar. This way you can use your new strings as a height gauge. After your new strings are on don't tighten them all the way. When you are using the old strings to cut the slot you must angle the slot to the same angle as the headstock so the strings will lay properly. After you have started to cut the slots tighten up the new strings to see what the depth of the new slot is. This procedure is going to take some time so be prepared to have a little time set aside. One way to check the height of the string is to use the new string itself. When the string is in the slot tighten to proper tension (or in tune) push the string down between the second and the third fret. Now check the string height at the first fret. Some people like it so the string almost but does not touch the first fret, me I personally go for about 5 thousands of an inch.

http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/monthly/guitar_er/02_04.htm
They suggest using the old strings to very slowly grind away the new frets. (about half way down the page)
i believe you can use a piece of phone book paper to check the space between the first fret and the string when you do that

phone book paper is thinner than normal paper, try some other kind, like printer paper and you might see it doesn't fit, if the action of the string is ... good.
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
A gap checking tool costs about £2 from any motor shop. Otherwise I read a playing card is about 0.005"
Page 1 of 2