Page 1 of 2
OK, rumours have been flying around about this song for far too long, I think that all of us at UG should get to the bottom of Bohemian Rhapsody once and for all.

As far as I know rumours include, that it was about a man on death row calling for a release to a jury and as ''Bissmillah'' literally translates as ''In the name of Allah'' or ''In the name of God'' he is a religious man who knows he has done wrong and wants pardoning. Another rumour is that it reflects the bands metal problems which I find highly unlikely but a possibility I suppose. Finally, it may not have a meaning, it may be the case that Freddie wrote it for people like me to question over and make up a meaning by myself...

I have also found out that Scaramouche is from the novel and play with the same title published in 1921 by Rafael Sabatini and the play was by Barbara Field. It is a romantic adventure and tells the story of a young aristocrat during the French Revolution. Scaramouche is also the name of a suite for two pianos written by the French composer Darius Milhaud. Finally, and slightly more colloquially Scaramouche is a character in Punch and Judy (the puppet show), he is the owner of the dog who, when hit, has his head fall off, thus giving the name Scaramouche to the type of puppet with an extendable neck.

The fandango is a form of flamenco music with spanish origins. There are two main types of fandango, the fandango grandes which is danced by couples and starts very slow and gradually gets faster and faster (much like Bohemian Rhapsody) and also the fandanguillos which are much livelier.

Beelzebub, as well as being an alternate name for Satan or the Devil in Christian texts was also a god worshipped in the Philistine city of Ekron, Baal Zebul, Beelzebub. The Devil, although seen as the creature of hell with horns and a tail etc. is no such thing, I cannot go into detail as it would take too long but he was an angel or a very high order and did the bidding of God.

Anyway, thats all my background research, now make up your own mind...
Actually, I thought this song was utter nonsense when I first heard it. Thats interesting, especially the Scaramouche part.
I hate people who quote themselves in their sigs
~Uziel126
So? What's new? Everyone knows its about someone who's commited a crime. And to find out what the operatic words are you just gotta know some stuff bout religion and myths. Nothing new there mate
Read the comment above yours, just because you know it doesnt mean everyone does, I am simply educating those who do not know about religion and mythical stuff and would like your opinions on the songs meaning and not your opinions on my post. Furthermore, I would have liked something that didnt just re-state what I had written and would like something more in-depth than just ''its about someone who comitted a crime''.
Okay, basically if a band has enough obscure knowledge and a lot of cocaine, eventually, they'll write a classic epic...see "Bohemian Rhapsody"
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, I Am The Walrus... why do you people keep looking for meaning? Drugs + imagination + talent + obscure references + a pen = Classic Rock Masterpiece. it doesnt have to MEAN anything.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Sir, you are very very right, thanks for giving me this new view, seriously why does there have to be a meaning? Why can't we just leave it as a mystery?
the song is so complex that is what makes it good. its made up of 4 parts and all mean something different. when i watched a special they were saying that the first two parts he was trying to come out gay without mom getting mad and i heard the last part is how he is afraid of the press knowing etc.. but know one will know even i dont
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Quote by TheUltimateSin
*Is waiting for DownDark/FreddieMercury to show up*

Good call.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by Hanzi_G
Good call.

I knew it! Score one!

Quote by Fry from Futurama
Insane theories: 1, Regular theories: a billion
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I'm here
Member #4 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
since when has it been a long debated subject?

the first half of the song refers to a guy on the run because he killed somebody. there you have it, a guy killed somebody. that's what it's about.

edit: that's thinking WAY to into it. i think blueoyster23 nailed it.

also i hate how the media (or whatever you want to call whoever did that show about the song) tries to make everything they did into a gay hidden metaphor.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
Last edited by freewheelinbird at Jul 12, 2006,
Who cares anyway? It's a great song. Period.
Co founder of the "official band/artist obsessors club" as a queen obsessor pm me or me_and_my_esp to join!
Quote by DownDark

I'm inclined to agree with this statement. I, personally, don't really care what a song is about. A great piece of musical work is a great piece of musical work. It's not really necessary to dig much deeper than that.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
BoRhap is basically Freddie Mercury's baby.
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I'm inclined to agree with this statement. I, personally, don't really care what a song is about. A great piece of musical work is a great piece of musical work. It's not really necessary to dig much deeper than that.

Well, yes you could say that it isnt neccessary but I find that the song gets better as you do the same with books, the further you look into what the author is subliminally saying the more you understand it and the more interesting/poignant it becomes, the same stands with a song...
^Well, we're all a little different when it comes to how much we want to dig into songs. Like I said, I myself do not pry into trying to discover a song's meaning in order to try to understand the song. I sit back and just listen to it, admiring the composing skills it took to make said masterpiece. I don't need to understand the meaning of the song to enjoy it. Never have. But again, we're all not the same when it comes to this
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by DownDark
BoRhap is basically Freddie Mercury's baby.

But wasn't Freddie Mercury a fag?

Just kidding,you're right.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
With, say, Pink Floyd's The Wall, figuring out all the meanings and stuff is crucial to truly understanding the story... but with most songs, sometimes there honestly anything there but the words you hear.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
I know there is a meaning to the song but it was never really discussed within the band but all that Brian, Roger, and John knows is that it was very personal to Freddie.

just a little trivia... Freddie's favorite song of his is Somebody To Love... surprised? I know that I was when I found that out. But listening to it now, I can see why it's his favorite song... it's practically orgasmic
figures why they did it almost every concert until magic tour lol
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Live At Wembley is a pretty disappointing live DVD just because the lack of Somebody To Love
well, its true freddie mercury was trying to come out as being gay... he just killed a man humping him while knowing he had AIDS maybe? And put his gun against his head, pulled his trigger? the release of seminal fluid?

Just trying to clear up what FreddieMercury said.
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
Quote by DownDark

Exactly it's just a bizarre but cool song.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Sqeeezie
well, its true freddie mercury was trying to come out as being gay... he just killed a man humping him while knowing he had AIDS maybe? And put his gun against his head, pulled his trigger? the release of seminal fluid?

Just trying to clear up what FreddieMercury said.

Quote by DownDark

Exactly. Seriously Squeezie-dude, that was a very disrespectful comment with a bad choice in words used.

x2
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I wish Freddie was still alive
Some great info youve got there mate, however I personally think that Freddie intended it not to be examined for its true meaning, it is most likely simply some random crap that he was thinking of at the time. Funny that all this "crap" amounted to one of the best songs ever.

But then again, there may be some incredibly well hidden messege within those lyrics......

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by DownDark
I wish Freddie was still alive

Quit you're bltchin,he's gone,deal with it. And if he was still alive,he wouldn't be as big of a legend.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
i agree with timi he was an amazing singer but if he wasnt known as the gay guy from queen who died of aids he would not be as famous. its sad but true
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
There's a lot of people who dislike Queen (*gasp*) and one of the main reasons is because Freddie wa gay. It's a fact.
Quote by DownDark
There's a lot of people who dislike Queen (*gasp*) and one of the main reasons is because Freddie wa gay. It's a fact.

And those people are completely and utterly ignorant dingbats for basing their musical tastes on the sexual preferences of a band member. Those are the people that need to be slapped, drug into an empty room, and forced to rethink their terms of defining good music.

Rob Halford is gay. So? I still like Judas Priest and the music they produce. Freddie Mercury was gay. Again, so what? He(along with the rest of the band of course) composed beautiful pieces of music.

People(and this is directed soley at the ones guilty of it), if you are deciding what bands are good based on the sexual preferences of a member of the band, I feel sorry for you for being so narrow-minded and ignorant.

[/ranting]
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by DownDark
Live At Wembley is a pretty disappointing live DVD just because the lack of Somebody To Love

No way, Live At Wembley is the best. Ever.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
hanzi lol even brian said he preferred they put out a dvd like Earls court 77 WAY better in my opinion.
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Quote by Hanzi_G
No way, Live At Wembley is the best. Ever.

Ever see Live At The Bowl? The whole band is top notch, especially Freddie. His voice is in perfect condition and he's so enthusiastic. Wembley, however, is not as good, even though it is great.
Quote by FreddieMercury
hanzi lol even brian said he preferred they put out a dvd like Earls court 77 WAY better in my opinion.

I seriously hope they rerelease Live At The Rainbow '74 on DVD in North America
UltimateSin, the same goes for Elton John haters.
yea in my opinion live at the bowl was probably one of freddies best vocal performances (somebody to love) (save me) i really think no one else could ever pull it off.
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
my top 3 Queen live DVDs

1. Live At The Bowl (even though it's during the Hot Space tour, the songs sound way better live than on the actual record)
2. Live At The Wembley (Queen's greatest concert, other than their showstealing performance at Live Aid)
3. We Will Rock You (only good thing about this DVD is the picture and sound quality. The musicianship was still great but the crowd was terrible. A big disappointment for me)
Page 1 of 2