View poll results: Les Paul, Fender MIA, Fender MIM
Gibson Les Paul Standard
8 42%
Fender Standard Stratocaster American
9 47%
Fender Standard Stratocaster Mexican
2 11%
Voters: 19.
Well i can't really decide what to buy at the moment. I currently have a Epiphone G400 and i would like to get something more decent. My choices are Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Standard Strat MIA, Fender Standard Strat MIM.

I don;t however have enough money for a Les Paul or A Fender MIA yet so what do you guys think i should do.

Thanks
I play mainly rock, hard rock, classic rock. I just have a 15w peavy at the moment hoping to upgrade to a Marshall Stack eventually. But people reckon i should get the guitar first. I would be willing to change pickups if they were better
actually you may want to upgrade your amp first and get a tube amp. anyway whats your current guitar?
What's your budget, because there's a huge difference between a Gibson LP Standard and a MIM Fender Standard Strat.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
get a better amp first that will make the most difference to the tone.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Don't really have a budget. Just a matter of saving up money through part time job. I have around 1,200 NZD at the moment and Les Pauls cost around 3,000-4,000NZD here.
Get a new amp first. You'll notice the biggest difference in your sound from that. The low wattage Peaveys (you probably have a Blazer or a Rage) SUCK. They're terrible. I know because I made the mistake out of ignorance of buying a Blazer 158 as my first amp. Even if you got a Gibson Les Paul Supreme and played it through your Peavey, it wouldn't sound much different than the SG. You need at least a good amp to appreciate the true sound differences between a quality guitar and a cheap guitar.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it!

What sort of amp should i go for?
What's your price range, realistically? Or better yet, since I'm not familiar with Kiwi pricing, what do you think the most expensive amp you could get is? And what are the amp brands available to you in NZ?
Hi, I'm Peter
Price Range on Amp would probably be round 3,000NZD or 1,840 USD. We can get most brands here like Orange, Marshall, Mesa-Boogie, Vox and I could just get it from the states
Quote by azn_guitarist25
actually how much is that in australian pricing

Is what? The money i currently have? or a pricing of a les paul
Yea true. I don't know whether i would want to overspend on a amp at this point. But i guess having a decent amp before a decent guitar is essential.
For hard rock/classic rock, the Vox AC30 is a great amp. In the US, they can be acquired for $1,000 new. Mesa/Boogie F series, Mark series, or Lone Star (with an overdrive) would also be a good choice, but those are towards the top of your range. My Mark IV cost $1,800 US with no shipping or anything. I'm not familiar with Orange models (they're not easily available in the US). You could also check out Marshall JCM800 or 900s, but I'm not a big fan of the "Marshall sound," but they match up well with Les Pauls and SGs.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 11, 2006,
Quote by Guitarded-0
how monay of these threads does UG need per day?

ever tried hitting the back button how about the red cross at the top right corner of the window
Quote by Dirk Gently
For hard rock/classic rock, the Vox AC30 is a great amp. In the US, they can be acquired for $1,000 new. Mesa/Boogie F series, Mark series, or Lone Star (with an overdrive) would also be a good choice, but those are towards the top of your range. My Mark IV cost $1,800 US with no shipping or anything. I'm not familiar with Orange models (they're not easily available in the US). You could also check out Marshall JCM800 or 900s, but I'm not a big fan of the "Marshall sound," but they match up well with Les Pauls and SGs.

Does the AC30 come as a head and a speaker cab? Or is it just one unit?
Quote by Guitarded-0
how monay of these threads does UG need per day?

they are all different in some way or another. Learn how to spell!
I'd say get a all tube Fender amp. Like maybe the amp I have, a Twin Reverb, or Hot Rod Deville.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
not a fender for what he plays. . ..

NZ FTW

i love your country!!!!

i was there for a month last summer with my brother in law (a kiwi) and i almost cried because i had to come back to ****e America! I loved christchurch too!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ok, you like rock, but what about shred, etc. Your gonna have a hard time getting up on the higher frets ona les paul due to its virtually none fret access. If your in for a laid back sunday stroll in the park a les paul would be good for you, but keep in mind their about 1500$ overpriced. No doubt good guitars, just not for me.....

If you want a really versatile guitar, with a thinner neck and excellent fretaccess get a Strat. Better yet a fat strat, then you have tons of versatility and can get fat tones when you want.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by hamish5178
not a fender for what he plays. . ..

What do you mean? He said he plays "rock, hard rock, classic rock." That's pretty much a Fender right there.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I don't agree with the recommendation of a Fender amp, either. You need an overdrive to get a good distortion out of them. Fender distortion is buzzy. The Vox is definitely a better hard rock or classic rock amp than a Twin. And the Mesas just blow the Fenders out of the water.
Hi, I'm Peter
The american has lame stock p/us while the Gibson Les Paul standard has stock some of the nicest pickups available on the market.

But the Les Paul is the most uncomfortable guitar I have ever played sitting down next to the V. The stratocaster is much more comfortable. It is also more light.

But the les paul sounds better.

I guess if you were to change the stock p/us in the american it will match up in sound and be more comfortable to play.

The Les Paul just feels like a big box to me. The corners are like sharp and it's just uncomfortable.
If you want to get a fender amp then you NEED a tubescreamer. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Strats and LPs are completely different instruments. I can't really see how you'd be struggling to chose between them
Umm...actually, they're both electric guitars, which make them the same instrument. And even if they have different playability, weight, etc., it doesn't make the choice easy. But this whole discussion is irrelevant since we're convincing him to get a better amp now.
Hi, I'm Peter