Hey guys, just joined the forum - hope to stick around.

Right okay, I need to revise my guitar tone - it's just too annoying right now.

My equipment:

-Tokai USG60 (SG body)
-Marshall JCM800 w/ JCM800 bass series cab
-Marshall Jackhammer stompbox
-Zoom 707 digital effects
-Super cry baby wah
-various other axl pedals

D'addario light top heavy bottoms- 10-52 I think
various 2-3mm Jim Dunlop picks

Okay my rig has beeeeauutiful clean tones.. oh man, but the problem is I love heavy metal! I just can't get a decent distortion sound, I love Petruccis distortion (chunky bottom, not too much hissing raw d/s), and right now I'm listening to Symphony X and I'm thinking 'yep, I like this tone.'

What should I do? I've just started writing with a new band and the material is like umm progressive metal I guess, tone isn't cutting it.

I just have this feeling that I have the setup ideal for a totally different genre of music.

Any help appreciated.
no man if you get a OD pedal like a Maxon OD-9 you will get a awesome metal tone
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I´d recommend trying out Line 6 Pod or similar modelling device. Petrucci´s tone may be harder to copy, since his rack is huge and complex and he always uses Mesa Boogies. Michael Romeo also uses Mesa Boogies in studio, but I think he has mentioned something about using Line 6 Vetta amp live...Pods are really versatile and it might do the trick for you..

If you asked me, I would be more than happy with JCM800 and an overdrive pedal.
(I´m broke and only have a VS100R combo and the speaker isn´t working)
So I should get an OD-9.. or? <insert other options here please )

love you people

x

EDIT: Just checked out the Maxon OD-9, for around $150US, I am in the UK - any other options?

thanks again!
Last edited by svenviking at Jul 11, 2006,
Yeah get a Maxon OD-9 and maybe an EQ pedal too.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
I have a marshall Jackhammer - no good? Or is it best for solid state amps?

thanks

EDIT: Hey Tubey, tell me about your setup! I am interested in what you play too! What's the ENGL??
Some metal players use an Ibanez Tube Screamer either the TS-9 or TS-808.

I would probably go with the TS-9 though, considering the TS-808 is the one that Stevie Ray Vaughan used.

...and I don't think you want to play blues.

The TS-9 with all of the knobs cranked will do what you want it to.

Hope I helped, man.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Mmm awesome thanks guys, I'll admit - I am a self-taught guitarist with no formal discipline, I've had to figure most things out myself and as such when I bought this amp - I didn't really know what I was buying, let alone how to use it.

So any other tips? It's a really basic amp with no built in effects - this is what I have to play with: http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JCM800&pageType=SEEIT

Any recommended settings?
engls are amps. they're pretty darn good for metal, and other tones too. But unless you want super-modern tones, an overdrive pedal and an EQ should do you fine with that set-up (use the od to boost the overdrive that the amp has).

Are you able to crank your amp? cos that'll help a lot too...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id be hard to get a metal tone without a pedal, since Jcm 800s are vintage-like amps
Yeah, get a OD9
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yeah the way the amp works is that I can crank the preamps and then have the master vol as loud as I want..

Modern tone? What is a super modern tone?
i dunno, say killswitch engage on "rose of sharyn" or "end of heartache". that type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Welcome man. I think maybe a Marshall JCM2000 TSL may be good. If you can trade in your JCM800 that is. Its modern but not as modern as what Dave_Mc is talking about with the ENGLs. It can go from heavy, to a nice Marshall crunch, to an awsome clean.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Welcome man. I think maybe a Marshall JCM2000 TSL may be good. If you can trade in your JCM800 that is. Its modern but not as modern as what Dave_Mc is talking about with the ENGLs. It can go from heavy, to a nice Marshall crunch, to an awsome clean.

I'd probably either keep the 800 for the more vintage tones, or else bite the bullet and go engl/framus/whatever for a more modern amp- IMO, the tsl is too much a jack of all trades (in a bad way). That's just me though.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Keep the amp and get an overdrive the JCM800 is a great amp.

Why not just spend $150 for a great overdrive and see if you like it rather then trading in your tube amp?

Maxon OD-9 is good. try it