Hi, I'm trying to play Satriani's satch boogie but I'm having a little problem with some of the harmonics. The kind of harmonics I'm talking about are the ones I think people call "pinch harmonics??" Those that you place your thumb lightly over the string and strum it with the pick. ( hope I was clear enough).

The problem is that whenever I try to play some of them as soon as I use the whammy bar the harmonic seems to fade away leaving some kind of mixture of the "natural" sound of the string and the harmonic, If I don't use the whammy bar the harmonic sounds the same all the way through. I have all of the other strings muted when I do this. Can anyone tell me reasons for this to happen?

Thanks, and sorry if my english sounds strange
^ Are you totally sure about that? Because when I play around with my whammy bar and do pinch harmonics, it just changes the pitch of the harmonic, the other vibrations are hardly there, if at all. If anything, either his technique is bad, or his gear is bad, thats what im guessing.
Quote by sashki
When you play a pinch harmonic, the whole point is that it only makes one part of the string sound. When you push the whammy bar, it makes the whole string vibrate.

Uh, no. If that were the case than Satriani and Vai wouldn't be able to do what they do. The problem could be your guitar, or that you're simply not getting a strong enough harmonic in the first place. Practice them with bends and vibrato before you start using your bar, just work on getting them stronger and sustaining more.
not so much your guitars ability but your amps-usually 15 watt amps and downwards cant handle pinch harmonics without great effort.How many watts is your amp?
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
It's possible that your guitar just gives off poor harmonics....what guitar is it?

If your technique is not 100% (sorry, but it is definitely no where near Satch's), then the harmonics will fade quickly.

I have an Ibanez RG series, I don't remember which model but it's left-handed they probably don't make a lot of left-handed models. It has a Fred pickup on the bridge. I use a Marshall valvestate 8200E head and a Marshall 1960A cabinet. for effects I use a Boss GX-700. I have turned the threshold on the GX-700 noise suppressor to a minimum so that the harmonics would live longer.

This "problem" only happens with some harmonics not all of them. Could string age be an issue aswell? This set is about two months old and I seem to remember having better harmonics then.

[edit] yeah, don't worry I'm not going to argue about Satch technique being better than mine
Quote by sashki
When you play a pinch harmonic, the whole point is that it only makes one part of the string sound. When you push the whammy bar, it makes the whole string vibrate.

Maybe I don't understand the definition of "pinch harmonic" exactly. What I'm doing is I'm fretting a string in a position and then I put the thumb of my pick hand lightly over a position that will give me an harmonic, and I pick it. (Is this what is understood by pinch harmonic?) The problem is that with some of the harmonics when I use the whammy bar they gradually turn into some kind of mixture between the harmonic and the fretted note, this only happens with some of them, with others I can use the whammy bar and they keep sounding like an harmonic, it probably is just my technique, I'm just asking because I have practiced it a lot and I wanted to make sure that there isn't any other factor involved in this behaviour.
Quote by Brainwash
^ Are you totally sure about that? Because when I play around with my whammy bar and do pinch harmonics, it just changes the pitch of the harmonic, the other vibrations are hardly there, if at all. If anything, either his technique is bad, or his gear is bad, thats what im guessing.

I'm guessing that aswell, I just wanted to have more information about what can affect this, so I can work not only in my technique but in everything that may be affecting the quality of the harmonics. But I'm only having trouble with some of the harmonics, maybe they are more difficult to get.
Quote by icronic
Uh, no. If that were the case than Satriani and Vai wouldn't be able to do what they do. The problem could be your guitar, or that you're simply not getting a strong enough harmonic in the first place. Practice them with bends and vibrato before you start using your bar, just work on getting them stronger and sustaining more.

So the keyword is practice? I just wanted to make sure that I don't have any other problem with my guitar or amplifier/effects that could be affecting my harmonics, so that no matter how much I would practice my harmonics wouldn't sound good not because of my technique being too bad but because there was something else going on.