and can a 5-watt head power 2, 70-watt-rated speakers?

btw, i can wire a guitar *reasonably well, and i consider myself pretty good at working with my hands.

also, would it be economical? i'd rather not purchase items made in china (not for jingoistic, america-uber-ales sentiments), but that's becoming all but impossible more and more.

i think i'm gonna start making my own clothing.
you CAN use a 5 watt head to power 70 watt speakers, technically, but then the speakers would only be giving out 5 watts output
you need a 70 watt (or 140 watt?) head to power them
btw, i dont know anyhting about building things, so i cant help you on the second question
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
70 watt just means that's how much power they can handle safley. It doesn't mean you need a 140 watt head to pwer them.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
why dont you just buy one, its only 100$ thats problably what it would take to build one if not more, plus once you have it you can do some pretty crazy mods to it, and you cant find american made tubes new anymore, so you have to go with russians anyway, plus chinese stuff isnt that bad, some of it can be just as good as American stuff. you should pm greenbox he could help you more than all of us, he's actually done it before.
there are several websites where you get schematics, parts lists, plans, etc to build several different sized output amps, from 5 to 18w anyway. Do a search and you'll find at least three such sites.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
i was thinking it would be a fun project. but if there are dope mods that can be made to a real epi v.j. then maybe that's what i'll do.

thanks for the tips
looks like greenbox doesn't want any emails. are there any websites that show these mods?
Quote by sethp
looks like greenbox doesn't want any emails. are there any websites that show these mods?

Yeah just type it in on google. There are like 2 ood sites that pop up.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
Just in case you wanted to build a valve junior, do a little google on it
http://www.euthymia.org/DIY/VJstock.jpg
as dave mentioned, this site has some mods as well.

Just so you know, $100 is a pretty good deal for the head. Not only do you get a fully assembled unit. It comes nicely packaged.

The power transformer and output transformer are gonna set you back maybe around $50. After that, tubes, tube sockets, parts, a chassis, and a cabinet to house it all. Considering all the work you'll be putting in, you might save a few bucks, but I think this amp is a pretty good deal at $100. I'd focus more on modding it.

I'll be honest though, it's a godamn simple ass amp.
If I (personally) were to make one, I'd try to fit most of it in a stomp box type enclosure. Minus the power and output transformer ofcourse (although they might be mountable for a large enough box).
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 12, 2006,
I don't think you'd manage to build your own one for the $100 they go. Just go out and buy one, then mod it like in the sites linked. Its barely $15 for the parts to get rid of the majority of humming.
You could get even more tricky and work a tone stack or an FX loop into there if you wanted.
Quote by seljer
I don't think you'd manage to build your own one for the $100 they go. Just go out and buy one, then mod it like in the sites linked. Its barely $15 for the parts to get rid of the majority of humming.
You could get even more tricky and work a tone stack or an FX loop into there if you wanted.

The new ones, at least the ones I've tried, combo and head, both have no noticeable hum. The head is also already converted to DC so if he's getting the head, he doesn't have much to worry about.
It depends on what you want it for. If you want a good tube recording amp I recommend you check diyguitarist.com for the firefly. Plus all his schematics work and are fault free. I have personally built all three.

Edit I have also cloned the VJ with spare parts. $145.50 to build it.
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Last edited by heiltalker2006 at Jul 12, 2006,