Hi all,

The other day i was watching MTV2 and saw Super Massive Black hole
(by the way Muse's new album is great) and realized that Matt Bellamy was using one of those plastic body guitars, i presume there made of acrylic because they are transparent. This got me thinking, why is such an acomplished professional such as Matt Bellamy using a guitar like that? Surely the tone would be aweful. But maby its ok for Muse because they use a hell of alot of effects anyway.

But what about Dave from the Foo Fighters? In one of his vids....i cant remember which, he is using one of these acrylic body guitars as well, whats up with that?

We all know a high quality wood such as Mohogany and Spruce will give a nice one and sustain, infact lets face it wood is hugly important when buying a guitar because it affects the tone alot. So surely a plastic guitar must suck.

Any ideas on whats going on?

My theory is that the guitars really do suck...it's just that the amps and effects are so good it still sounds good, while a normal guitar would sound even better.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Maybe they don't care?

PS am i the only that thinks that guy looks really constipated in that picture?
flea used a bass like that and so did there guitar player in dani california video
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
nope
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Quote by ImNotSmart
flea used a bass like that and so did there guitar player in dani california video

the played it only in the video they didnt use them for recording
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
I think that if you rely a lot on effects or strong distorsion it may not matter that much.
Quote by Pharoah
Can God create a hot dog so hot even he couldn't eat it?

Lyke omg D@ @p0OcpLpSYe.
;looks only;
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
They actually like the tone, perhaps?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
They do it for the looks.. They would never record in the studio with those guitars I should think (hope..). Plus they have **** expensive amps anyway that can compensate for the (slight) loss of tone due to the acrylic body.. But in the studio, no way.
Skunk Baxter had one of the first acrylic guitars. It was a Strat. It's an interesting theory, but yeah, I think "effects magic" plays a part. Don't know, though...never played one.
Hi, I'm Peter
Didn't Keith Richards play an acrylic body guitar? Well, I'm absolutely positive he played a transparent one, though...
It cant be JUST for looks, in the picture above, thats Dave Grohl using one of those guitars in a LIVE Foo Fighters concert. Either there is some quality in those guitars or he's insane and played a really bad concert .
The acrylic gives an incredibly punchy mid and treble, very responsive when overdriven, the only downside is the sustain is a bit crap.
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
a lot of people use them live. when you are playing live, your tone can suffer slightly and no one will really care much if you are still playing everything right and putting on a good show. they just use them because they sound decent and mostly because they look cool. but like someone else said, in the studio they will use their best equipment. the acrylic would be only used live...well unless the guy rally loved the tone...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Kirk Hammet had one filled with some wierd type of blue goo called the WaveCaster.

/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by Spamwise
Maybe they don't care?

PS am i the only that thinks that guy looks really constipated in that picture?

do you even KNOW who "that guy" is...?

ITS DAVE, FOO!
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Quote by Ostin
do you even KNOW who "that guy" is...?

ITS DAVE, FOO!

Yes..and considering the music fall out boy plays i'm surprised they care about tone.
i'd think all the amps and rack mounted **** would probably compensate for the loss of tone and sustain and any other natural elements when it comes down to a 'normal' wooden solidbody guitar. And i've read that Kirk Hammett had a guitar filled with his own piss or something.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Quote by rockstar_jones
i'd think all the amps and rack mounted **** would probably compensate for the loss of tone and sustain and any other natural elements when it comes down to a 'normal' wooden solidbody guitar. And i've read that Kirk Hammett had a guitar filled with his own piss or something.

Take 2 minutes out of your life and watch the video...
Hi, I'm Peter
Okay, the guitars you guys are talking about are the Dan Armstrong models made by Ampeg. The body is made of a material called lucite. The pickups were designed by Kent Armstrong (Dan Armstrong's son). If I remember correctly, the pickups were made so that they could be interchangeable with other pickups released by the company. Google it, people. These guitars are awesome.
My Guitars:
'69 Kent Strat
Agile AL-1000
SX ES-335 Copy (For Sale, PM for info)
SX Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Jr. w/GFS Pickup
Rogue Acoustic
Old Yamaha Acoustic

My Amps:
GX 100-watt 4x8 whatever

FX:
Digitech EX-7
also Edwards (ESP company in Japan producing replicas of many other guitars) have also got an acrylic model aswell though no word on when its getting released
Yes but so what? Interchangable pickups would be good i suppose because you could change from bluesy pups to hard rock, but considering the body is made from lucite the pickups wouldnt be done justice.
they dont sound too bad. think about it. john bohnam used an all acrylic drum set (i know that its different, but still same theory) it sounds different. but not neccesarily bad
It's possible that acrylic/lucite guitars don't have a bad tone period, not becuase of effects magic. Play one and then post your theory.

The material isn't used often most likely becuase it's very heavy.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Dirk Gently
Take 2 minutes out of your life and watch the video...

i had already clicked the reply before that post, my typing is a little slow.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Quote by Spamwise
Yes..and considering the music fall out boy plays i'm surprised they care about tone.

Oh God, you're an idiot.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Oh God, you're an idiot.

i second that correct statement.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
hmm, i read its not transparent, its mirrored (Matt Bellamy's), cant remember where i read it though, hes got a few others like it too.

Dave Grohls in 'All My Life' vid, now thats deffo acrylic though...
Quote by SkinnyWhiteBoy
Didn't Keith Richards play an acrylic body guitar? Well, I'm absolutely positive he played a transparent one, though...

Yes he very much did. Izzy or Gilby used one in The Garden video by GNR. They cant soudn to horrible, loads of arstist has used them.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009