ok im off to maplin electronics tomorrow, and i am goin to modd the electronics in my guitar what are some cheap mods i can do like changing resistors anding a battery to make it a active?adding a kill switch?

would any of these work?
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
you should get some push pull pots
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
dude... if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T.

Quote by spanerman
changing resistors anding a battery to make it a active?adding a kill switch?

wtf... in a normal guitar's circuit, there are pots, one capacitor per tone circuit and output jack... no resistors... and you need active pickups... adding a battery won't do jack.
you could put in a kill swich, but thats about it, an active setup needs alot more electronics than just a battery and there arent really any resistors you can change to make it sound better. maby a few different pots that are higher quality might work or maby something useing a push pull pot....
ok sorry, i do no what im doin electronicly just not with guitars what would i gain from useing a push/pull pot?
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

you could use the push pull pot as a kill swich or you could run a coil splitting circut or something like that, what kind of guitar do you have and what are its specs (ie #of pups, #of pots, humbuckers or single coils, 2 lead humbuckers or 4 lead humbuckers) that would be helpfull.
it has two, two lead humbuckers. 1tone one volume pots and a 3way switch
Quote by Danno13

The pickups will probably only be two conductor, so you'd only really be able to install a killswitch, phase switch or change the capacitor (or add another cap and use the push/pull to select between the two caps for different tone options)

EDIT: AFAIK, Maplins don't stock guitar push/pull pots.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
and you could also put your pickups in series, im not sure what this does but you could do it...
okwhat does changing the cap do to the tone?
Quote by Danno13

AxesRUs has an interesting internal pre-amp. That'd be my choice for going active with passive electronics.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by Teleprompters
for a double humbucker guitar, you need two 500k pots right, are the capacitors make them different into tone and volume ones or are there seperate pots for tone and volume?

I'd like to know this as well, although i'm not 100% on this, by the looks of things a volume pot doesn't have a cap and tone pot does, can someone tell us if that is correct??

thanks
^ A volume pot can be turned into a tone by adding a cap. On alot of guitars the volume pots are audio taper and the tone linear taper, but you could use either.
^I recommend going the standard way though, if you don't you get wierd sweeps.

Phase/series?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
this might sound like a really stupid question but im a noob when it come to wireing a guitar.....

i've been looking at pots on a site and some are a25k, 250k and 500k, what does this mean, is it some sort of transfer rate??

thanks
Quote by krad2004
this might sound like a really stupid question but im a noob when it come to wireing a guitar.....

i've been looking at pots on a site and some are a25k, 250k and 500k, what does this mean, is it some sort of transfer rate??

thanks

That's the resistance of the pot in ohms. Pot is short for potentiometer, or a variable resistor. Resistors do just that, they resist electrical current. A25k is, i believe, an Audio taper potentiometer that when set to maximum resistance resists 25,000 ohms. 250k is 250,000 ohms, and 500k 500,000 ohms. Most passive pickups use 250k and 500k pots, while many actives use 25ks. EMG actives use 25k pots, their passives can use either 250k or 500k.
put in a killswitch. but do not disconnect the signal to do it, then you get an "unplugged" noise when you hit it. just get a switch and wire one wire to the hot wire (going to the jack) and another one to the ground wire (going to the jack). costs about 5 bucks. nuff said
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
what does having more resistance do?

It "resists" more voltage. For instance, if you have a 250k resistor and a 500k resistor, the 500k will drop the voltage more. However, since we're using variable resistors (for volume), it probably doesn't matter much. Both, the 250k and the 500k resistors can reach 0ohm resistance (full volume).
how bout a coil tap if noone has said it yet (and if you have a humbucker)
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
what does having more resistance do?

Drops the voltage more (changing the sound).
in english terms:

Having a 500k pot over a 250k pot for tone will give you more range (the 500k will give you more range). Having a 500k over a 250k pot for volume will change the sensitivity i guess. The 500k will be more sensitive from full volume to no volume as opposed to a 250k.
can you do a coil tap with a 2 conductor pickup?

but i say go with a killswitch, if you allready have your soldering stuff

you'll need a spdt switch though
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs