The main guitar I use is made of Agathis and everything I play on the B and little E string sounds terrible. The tone just seems awful. I don't know if thats because of the wood, or the pickups, or the strings.
awful, how? Like....seems out of tune?
Might wanna check your intonation.

What kind of guitar do you have?
Well if the guitar is made of agathis, chances are the pickups will suck aswell.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Its not like its out of tune, but it just sounds like its too high pitched. Especially from about the 15th fret +.

The pickups are supposed to be some kind of Duncans, but I don't know which ones.
The guitar is a Silvertone Apocalypse Pro. (It was only $50 so yeah....)

I just decided that I'm going to buy a Jackson DKMG Dinky sometime this week.
Haha, i know this guitar, my buddy has one. The guitar is an absolute piece of garbage. And no, there are no Duncans in it.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I thought it was too good to be true for it to have Duncans in it. Here's what I was reading off of Musician's Friend.com

Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro Electric Guitar Features:

Agathis body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard
2 Duncan Design humbuckers
Grover tuning machines
24-3/4" scale
1-11/16" nut width
14" fretboard radius
Limited lifetime warranty
Why would they even bother putting a mahogany neck on that thing.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by cochise788
I thought it was too good to be true for it to have Duncans in it. Here's what I was reading off of Musician's Friend.com

Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Pro Electric Guitar Features:

Agathis body
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fretboard
2 Duncan Design humbuckers
Grover tuning machines
24-3/4" scale
1-11/16" nut width
14" fretboard radius
Limited lifetime warranty

Suckered Ya in didn't they? Damn I hate it when they do that x.x
Gear:
Gibson LP
Marshall
DF-7 Foot Peddle
I have an agathis guitar and its fine. As other said I think its the overall guitar thats your problem not the type of wood. From what I read, agathis like most woods comes in various qualities and grades.

$50 for a guitar?! What where you thinking!

- - - on the other hand, I dont suppose you can get a refund?
Yeah, I just found that out when I read the features from Musicians Friend a few minutes ago.

I thought they had Seymour Duncans because when my dad was helping pick a guitar, he said "Hey these have Duncans in them" and so while not thinking to check for myself on it, I bought it. But at least I only paid $50 for it.

To reply to the posts above:

Yeah, totally suckered me.

At the time I had only been playing about 3 months and my other guitar was started to mess up (bad solder joints on the volume and tone knobs) So I figured "Hey its only $50, why not?"

Oh, and I don't think I can get a refund, because I bought it back in February of 2005. I've been playing on it ever since then......can't wait until the DKMG Dinky gets here.....
Last edited by cochise788 at Jul 11, 2006,
I have one too. Its pretty good actually, one of the best guitars i have played. Personally, i prefer Jacksons but i got it for christmas, so whaddya do, eh?