ok, my english teacher nominated me for a state-wide leadership counsil (forgot the name/abbreviation) that picks the elite students in grades 8-9 (10? not sure, but im going into nineth after summer vacation btw) of California to go to a hotel for a few days and get lectured. Just so you know the magnitude of this thing, it costs $1,500 to even ATTEND and one of the past speakers was the former head of the CIA and another Apple's president! Now reading a brochure i found out, to my suprise, that on one of the nights there will be a talent show type thing. it said something like if you twirl batons (...??) dah dah dah do dee, or strum guitar you can perform, but not limited to above list. that got me excited and freaked out. ive been playing guitar for a little over a year now and am pretty confident in my playing, but cant figure a song to pick. these will be upper-class, well-to-do people and about, hell, id say at the most 20-100 (large gap i know) people about my age (14), and id like your guys' help trying to pick a song to play. i have both an acoustic and an electric.
i was thinking maybe 'tears in heaven' but id like others' opinion before i may possibly forget a note or something.

thanks,

Chris
i know you're excited to play for alot of people but i would say that's not the place. they will not care for it.
he should play, if they dont care for it then no pressure. good way to start out. i say go for it
personally i dont care if they dont care for it, so i guess it wouldnt matter much so long as i myself feel i did ok, but any song suggestions?
Is the talent show taking place @ a hotel? If so, then play Hotel California.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Maybe think about a classical song, though probably not a fingerpicked one because you don't have a classical guitar. Maybe paganini's 5th caprice? Well that's probably to hard, but think about bach and paganini and vivaldi.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Go for Mozart's Rondo Alla Turka, either on acoustic or electric.
its not really a talent show. its more of a huge 4-day seminar at the san jose double tree (15 miles away so not much of a vacation, i go near there fairly often). the things last from morning to evening and on one night its essentially a talent show, but more of, at least to me, a way to relax and have fun, not like a school talent show.

btw thanks for the suggestions, ill look into them. that hotel california one was funny, too. except im not sure i should play something supposedly about cults...
oh well, thanks again

EDIT: ok, rondo alla turka is out of the runnings lol. hotel cali. maybe. ive got nylon acoustic if that helps at all
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Jul 11, 2006,
Play anything you want, it's a talent show, not a cater-to-the-crowd show.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
The classical but not-really-classical idea is good.

I'd recommend Beethovan's 5th. Well known and not fingerpicked. At least the version I have is perfect. It's listed as Steve Vai but i'm pretty sure it's not really him that plays it. But it's not hard at all the way it's played on it.
thanks, ill try that out. about the cater-to-the-crowd thing. im not trying to play what they think is good, im going with what wont get me in a bit of trouble or raise an eyebrow, like metal at a "relaxed formal setting." <- straight from the pamphlet thing

i like that beethoven thing..., and thanks for the link yawn
Pachebel's Cannon in D

Good classical stuff.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
are you going to be singing to?.. or just playing guitar?

you can look at some songs by brand new or even a couple bright eyes songs because they are fairly easy to play and sing along
you know, i figured that since i cant really sing much i might as well play whatever i want. im thinking readymade by red hot chili peppers. i like it a lot and can play it well, except the solo . or should i stick classical?
Do some kind of neo-classical or classical song. Or something easy on the ears, like...No Boundaries, by MAB? or you could always do some Yngwie
Quote by GuitarSymphony
Pachebel's Cannon in D

Good classical stuff.

Just get the backing track for Canon Rock
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
They may be well to do people now but they were young once. Therefore play a song from the 60's (whhen most of them were young).

My recommendation is stairway to heaven - it got rated as having the best guitar solo in the times (the most upperclass newspaper around) so go for it
Play the song you feel most comfortable playing because you have to factor in the additional nerves and shakes you may experience especially for the first time in front of so many people. If you were of drinking age I'd suggest that you take a few stiff ones before your debut.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
Quote by Sweetbabyjezuz
Hmm that's tabbed out a lot differently than the one I had.

I mean it seems as simplistic, but this is off in the notes and stuff. And i can 100% guarantee there was no hybrid picked chord voicing in it either like the beg. notes and stuff.
No, I meant, the rendition you heard was Yngwie. The tab I posted is just the original Beethoven one.
my guitar teacher gave me a song called Romanza that was arranged by Alexander Gluklikh in the 19th century. i have never heard of this before but started to play it and it sounded pretty damn good, so i might go with that. good?

then again i may try little wing (im assuming you mean the hendrix version since you said if you can pull it off, but theres also a Corrs version, or is one covering the other or are they different ) or stairway or whatever.

if i were drinking age i probably wouldnt need you to say that , and i feel comfortable with a bunch of songs, but i cant solo worth anything as of right now. the closest thing i can get to soloing is the solo in sharp dressed man.
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Jul 12, 2006,
Quote by Chris_Parker
my guitar teacher gave me a song called Romanza that was arranged by Alexander Gluklikh in the 19th century. i have never heard of this before but started to play it and it sounded pretty damn good, so i might go with that. good?

then again i may try little wing (im assuming you mean the hendrix version since you said if you can pull it off, but theres also a Corrs version, or is one covering the other or are they different ) or stairway or whatever.

if i were drinking age i probably wouldnt need you to say that , and i feel comfortable with a bunch of songs, but i cant solo worth anything as of right now. the closest thing i can get to soloing is the solo in sharp dressed man.

The Corrs are playing a cover of Jimi Hendrix... That's almost sacrilege that that needed clarification
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.
Just play Dee by Rhandy Rhoads.

It's a classy song that you can play just as easily on an acoustic rather than a classical nylon string guitar.

I wouldn't do tears in heaven. That's about clapton's kid dying. Not exactly the best choice IMO.

ORRR...you could do hammer smashed face by cannibal corpse.

Just a couple of ideas.
i know what tears in heaven is about, but its still a good song in terms of sound.
Quote by Chris_Parker
i know what tears in heaven is about, but its still a good song in terms of sound.

Yes if you can pull it off emotionally. It's an easy song to play if you can fingerpick well but what makes it good is the emotion clapton puts in it - if you can get that it would be great

also if you can sing that would be good or if you could get somone to sing with you that would just be the icing on the cake
Quote by yawn
No, I meant, the rendition you heard was Yngwie. The tab I posted is just the original Beethoven one.

Oh okay, i'm retarded.