Which would be better for me? I like most types of rock, anything from Classic Rock to Grunge, 80's Metal to Modern Rock. I still have my starting guitar, so I want something a huge step up. The RG1570 is about $800, and new pickups would be about $200. The SG Standard is about $1,300. So which is better? I want versatility, as well as just a great hard rock tone for leads.

Thanks to all
Im a true ibanez fan, so id choose an ibanez over a gibson. its got more features that id use.
EVH
If your not a shredder than i'd say the SG, you can shred on tose to if you ever need to a bit.
i'v played an rg very similar to that one and i didnt like it much, the neck was too thin and it just sounded bad. i love my sg standard and get any sound out of my sg, especially classic rock and 80's metal. i would get with the sg because i didnt really like the playability and tone of that ibanez.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i'd say the RG is more versatile, since it has both buckers and a single coil. You'll be able to get most of the tones you need out of that, although some will be more authentic than other, obviously.

Of course, if you don't want a locking trem, go with the SG. But you should probably be looking at more than two (completely different) guitars, especially with your pretty healthy budget.

Oh, and what amp do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you could also look at epiphone elitists. They would probably save you some money than if you went gibson and i hear that they beat low end gibsons and have good quality. The elitist les paul custom seems nice and is $1100 and I think a les paul would suit you great unless you want a floyd or don't like the feel.
RG for sure. The tremolo, extra frets and pickup means its more versatile than the SG.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
RG
i have an ibanez prestige and the pickups arent bad at all
if you go for the ibanez chances are youll be happy with the tone and wont need to replace the pickups

go ibanez
Quote by GizmoKaKa
My face resembles a buttocks.

Quote by guitar?
I used to hold down my dog and piss on it. I don't have a dog anymore.
Rg, much more versatile...

Cheaper, Better, thinner neck(preference), 24 frets, best trem in the business, top notch quality.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
RG is versitle but the sg has a way beeter tone wood sound... PLus im heavily biased towards sg's...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
RG.

It might just be me, but I find SGs have a terribly thin tone.
Which I'm just not a fan of.
I would say the RG, because you get pretty good versatility (sp?) and sound, plus the SG have that damn strap holder on the neck.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.