well, to get to the point, (i might sound like a n00b, so feel free to flame)

I have never changed my strings before, (not myself anyway, i usually bring it to shops) but now i dont have a job, and i need to save money, plus i dont feel like bringing in my guitar, and not being able to play for a week cause he has other peoples junk to do too)

so i have a quick question, when i change my strings, do i have to re-intonate it?

I will be keeping the same string size, probably a different brand, its a SG style bridge/stopbar, so is it as easy as just taking the old strings off, cleaning my frets and fretboard (not neccesary, but i have ot do it to learn how, plus mine is dirty) then puting the new ones back on? or do i have to intonate it after i put the new strings on?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

all you have to do is string that biotch right and tune. not intunate. one string at a time remeber.
yeah i know that, ive seen numerous threads on re-stringing so i am pretty sure i can do everything right, i just needed to know if i was suppose to intonte it too, cause i dont know how to do that right..or i do i just dont want to.

OH

another question!

say if i was putting the Low E string in, do i put the tuning post so that the string goes straight through the hole? or do i turn it sideways so the strings goes in at like a 90 degree angle? or does it matter
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

well.. waht way do i put the string in? does the hole have to be like, so that the string stays in a straight line and goes right through it? or does it have to be turned on a 90 degree angle so the string has to bend at 90 degrees to fit in it too
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
well.. waht way do i put the string in? does the hole have to be like, so that the string stays in a straight line and goes right through it? or does it have to be turned on a 90 degree angle so the string has to bend at 90 degrees to fit in it too

This is how it's done... Atleast thats how I do it.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
^Yeah thats how I do it^ Also if your tight on money And you need new strings Try Boiling The string you have in water that will Clean the oils out and Make them Playable again (Not a good idea) But If your ever living in a box And you need new strings Thats what you could do,
haha alright, thanks for that, im tight for money, but i can afford some 10 dollar ones, or i might go rich end and buy elixirs if they are in stock.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

ok, i dont feel like editing my last post, so i do it like he did, and pass the string under, then fold it over, then i dont wrap anymore, i twist the knob? because it looks like thats what he did, but im not positive..so...clarify?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
ok, i dont feel like editing my last post, so i do it like he did, and pass the string under, then fold it over, then i dont wrap anymore, i twist the knob? because it looks like thats what he did, but im not positive..so...clarify?

Yep, just tune it now.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
****ing awesome, thanks guys.,..i just need the strings now.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Easiest way to do it is wrap it around the peg a few times then put it through the whole then tighten it up. I found all of those threads and web-sites on stringing a guitar totally useless.
ill probably have to try every way until i find the way that works for me.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

I find it's easy to find a guitar that is strung up properly and then just look at that one and try to get it yourself. That's how did it anyways.
Wait you used to take it to a shop to get it restrung?! How much did you pay each time?!

Damn i mean i know its hard to restring if its your first time but jeeze, why pay some other over priced ******* when you can do it your self? Be more adventerous, your guitar wont break if you **** up.
How much money did you pay them to restring it? If you payed them any money at all your a

NOOB

but yeah, back when i started i tried to get the guy at the local shop to tune for me (I hadn't bought a tuner) and he just laughed and laughed. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
i know, but i always thought i would **** it up, and it costed about 15 bucks each time, but my strings only need changing about twice a year...i dunno how they last that long...i know they should be changed more often, but after 5 or 6 months, they are only starting to get dirty and not sliding good...now they are pure ****, but they lasted long enough
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Just do it yourself its not a big deal...its easy enough

Careful when tuning the higher strings...I was a complete n00b my first time and the brand new high E string snapped cause I tuned it wayyy to high (I wasnt using a tuner, just kept tightening it).
well i obviously wouldnt go retarded and do that

but i think i should know what im doing now.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

hmm that way of putting it on in the link is strange..I should try that

I just stick the thing in, keep the string in the proper slot of the nut with my right hand thumb and twist away.

Oh, The Hell Patrol : be sure that you give the string some slack, don't tighten it too much before you start turning the tuner knob!
Quote by JorisBlack
hmm that way of putting it on in the link is strange..I should try that

I just stick the thing in, keep the string in the proper slot of the nut with my right hand thumb and twist away.

Oh, The Hell Patrol : be sure that you give the string some slack, don't tighten it too much before you start turning the tuner knob!

Yup it took a few times to figure out I had to put slack on the strings real important.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
my fav "how to" pic tutorial is on the elixer web site...

in step 6, he pulls up a couple of inches, thats how he gets the same slack and consistent 2-3 turns per string.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html

works for me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011