Are all epiphones just cheap versions of gibsons that are no good, or are some of them good guitars?
depends, some are good, some are bad, teh G-400 and other G-400 models are very good for the money, the Special and Special II are ****, the Les Pauls made out of pure mahogony are the only ones worth getting IMO, and i think there is only...like 1 and its the Plain Top, whihc has been getting complaints about build quality and sound, the artist sigs are good, and the Elitists are good if not better than low end gibsons
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

So the Zakk Wylde Epiphone signature Les Paul Custom would be a good guitar?
well i have heard that one isnt anything compared to his Gibson sigs, but it woulds till be good for the price you pay for it
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

I played an epiphone and dint like it I dont know if it was broken maybe but I prefered my squier to it and I dont like my squeir much
Chuck Norris has two speeds, walk and kill
what model did you try?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

THere are many really good epiphones, there are however many bad ones.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Could you give some links to pictures of some that you know are good? So i could find them at my local guitar shop and try em out.
SG's and other styles: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=3

(click on different models, and pick out what you like)

Les Pauls: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6

(but if you find one you like, you should make sure its an ALL mahogony body, and not Mahogony/alder...you could get mahogony/alder if you want, but it wont give you close to a LP tone)

Just click around the site and find ones you like

elitist models are the ****ing PWN if you can afford one

i own the G-400, and its very very good for the money, i would like to have the Custom too at some point, how much is your pricerange again?...do you want a LP style...V? LP? Explorer?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

My price range is $700 or less. I like the look of most LPs and Vs are cool but they would be hard to play sitting down right?
well they might be a little wierd at first, they would just take some getting used to as does any new guitar. and for the LP's, if you can get a signature model then go with that, because the only other one worth getting is the PLain top i think, cause its solid mahogony, but people have been complaining about it, so you definantly have to try some out before you buy, but you could buy one of the G-400 models, and save the extra money for a decent amp?, or like said in the other thread you made, you could look into some schecters.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

whats wrong?

why the **** do people always just put something stupid like "wrong", and never back it up?!

EDIt: nevermind..haha.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

i have the epiphone vintage g-400, or its gonna be here tomorrow,any of the g-400's are awesome, ive played em...
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
**** yeah,,,,if you can afford that, then definantly get it, its beautiful

i wish i had some money.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

I've got an Epiphone LP Standard, and no it's not ****...
If you look at the reviews for Epiphone's the Les Paul's and Archtop's make really good value for money and I wouldn't swap mine for a Squier any day...
There are some really good Epiphone models and yes they are worse than their Gibson alternatives, but you end up saving hundreds of pounds/dollars and still get a good sound.
I think i might spring for the elitist but i dont think any store nearby has one and i really would like to try it before i buy it.
well im pretty sure that that elitist would match low to mid end Gibson quality, so chances are you would like it,...go in and ask them if they can order you one, but not make you feel that you have to be obligated to buy it once they order it

is that possible?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Ok...

Epi's above the POS low end ones are good. The Les Paul Standards, LP Standard Plain Tops, Studios, customs. All those are good guitars. Especially if you find an all mahogany one. The Plain top is all mahogany, but is said to have weak pups. Nothing a pickup change won't fix.

As for Elitists, they aren't "possibly as good as low end Gibsons" They ARE as good as regular Gibsons. Elitist LP's easily hold their own against Gibson LP Standards, Classics, and Studios. Even before a pickup change. The Elitists also have beter quality control. I've never heard of an Elitist "dud," but I've heard of PLENTY Gibson "duds."

Pretty much the same goes for their other guitars. SG's above the G-400 are great and the Elitist SG (if you can find it) is just as good as the Gibson SG standard. Their other guitars (V's, Explorers, Firebirds) can be just as good as their Gibson counterparts with some modifications as well.

-Xenn99
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
not ALL the LP's you said are good though, all of them except the Plain Top are a mix of alder/mahogony, which,...sucks, unless you like the way it sounds

Everything else you said was more than true (is that even possible? who cares, its an expression.)
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Just because they're alder/mahogany it doesn't mean it's bad. It just gives ita little bit of a brighter tone. There's nothing wrong with it. I've tried them and they're quite nice, actually.

Also, I saw on the Epi site a few weeks ago that LP Studios and standards are now supposed to be mahogany.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
yeah i saw that thread, i woul dlike it though if we had the option...cause i loe the Custom. but i want something that resembles the Les Paul tone, and alder/mahogony wont give me that
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by Xenn99
Just because they're alder/mahogany it doesn't mean it's bad. It just gives ita little bit of a brighter tone. There's nothing wrong with it. I've tried them and they're quite nice, actually.

Also, I saw on the Epi site a few weeks ago that LP Studios and standards are now supposed to be mahogany.

they arent like Gibby LPs at all though, and pretty much all Epis need pup changes, and pretty much the only LPs that will sound like Gibsons are the elitist's, the plain top has a crappy veneer maple top and so does the standard, Epi G-400s and above are pretty good though, and i really dont think that standards are all mahogany, and pretty much all Epis except elitists have worse electronics, hardware, and wood
Last edited by Teleprompters at Jul 11, 2006,
my G-400 has Grovers, solid mahogony body and neck, with trapezoid inlays...i like it...sems pretty decent for the money

but the LP's could be alot ALOT better than they are.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

teh Custom is a beautiful, beautiful gutar, i was going to buy the Custom Plus for almsot 1000 (canadian at a shop, so thats why it was more expensive than from ordering off the net), but its Mahogony/Alder, which i dont want, i want solid mahogony, so i decided not to buy it

i wish they made mahogony lP's!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by Owen56
So the Zakk Wylde Epiphone signature Les Paul Custom would be a good guitar?

I liked it alot when I played it, gives a wide variety of ranges IMO.
Dickless.
I have an Elitist les paul. I changed the pickups to seymour duncans and it sounds better than my friend's gibson les paul classic.
Les Paul Customs rock. They sounded better than this Gibson Faded Les Paul (the one with bursbuckers) that I played in guitar center.

I am f***ing serious I couldn't believe it.
Epiphone was in business long before being bought by Gibson. They still make the guitars they did before being bought by Gibson. Ever seen a Sheraton or Sheraton II or Wildkat made by Gibson? That's because they don't make them.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
i played the zakk wylde epiphone and it is awesome
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Epiphones=Bad?

yeah an epiphone ate my baby. very incorrigible.

serious note. ive got an epi studio. very nice guitar, they dropped the price a ton. more than enough to upgrade the pups.
find a good one, ull be very happy wt it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011